Accent snobbery in the Irish media

DS-09

Why is it that even in this day and age- that practically every news, sports or talkshow presenter has to have a supposedly "media friendly" accent? For instance how often do you hear somebody with a North Dublin, Cork, Mayo, Clare etc accent reading the news, or presenting a Friday night talkshow? Now I am by no means making accusations, but would I be correct in saying that it's unusual that the likes of Ryan Tubridy secured the position as presenter of the Late late show in place of let's say Joe Duffy, Eamon Dunphy or Eddie Hobbes who have years upon years of experience in dealing with media matters? Why is it still, in the Ireland of 2009 necessary to speak with a so-called "proper" voice to gain a respectable position on Irish televesion? Also by no means am I seeking, or suggesting reverse discrimination against the Pat Kenny's, Miriam O' Callaghan's or Ryan Turbidy's of this world- that would be hypocritical, and of course they should be considered equally in my books. But why aren't people with non-media refined accents been accepted to present to the Irish public- especially considering that many of them speak with accents which are not given airspace.

Odyessus

Why is it that even in this day and age- that practically every news, sports or talkshow presenter has to have a supposedly "media friendly" accent? For instance how often do you hear somebody with a North Dublin, Cork, Mayo, Clare etc accent reading the news, or presenting a Friday night talkshow? Now I am by no means making accusations, but would I be correct in saying that it's unusual that the likes of Ryan Tubridy secured the position as presenter of the Late late show in place of let's say Joe Duffy, Eamon Dunphy or Eddie Hobbes who have years upon years of experience in dealing with media matters? Why is it still, in the Ireland of 2009 necessary to speak with a so-called "proper" voice to gain a respectable position on Irish televesion? Also by no means am I seeking, or suggesting reverse discrimination against the Pat Kenny's, Miriam O' Callaghan's or Ryan Turbidy's of this world- that would be hypocritical, and of course they should be considered equally in my books. But why aren't people with non-media refined accents been accepted to present to the Irish public- especially considering that many of them speak with accents which are not given airspace.

I suppose they want accents which are intelligible and inoffensive to the majority of people in the country. I don't know how Fergal Bowers fits into this scheme.

Ó Nuaillain

While I do see how a neutral accent is beneficial in media (it is not distinct to any social class or geographical area), I do not understand the adoption of english and american accents has been adopted in recent years.

can anyone explain what "Board Gosh" is? apparently they've lost a laptop - according to RTE news...

don't start me on miriam o'callaghan's "alactions"

Phinaeus

While I do depise the RTE accent, I also loathe nasal "howya" Dublin gurrier twangs. I'm happy to be called a snob.

Bobert

Irish people in general tend to have poor pronunciation. (awaits allegations of west Britishness)

johnfás

Irish people in general tend to have poor pronunciation. (awaits allegations of west Britishness)
No worse than alot of other places though. I was watching Sky News yesterday where Princes William and Harry were being interviewed - their consistent omission of T at the end of words such as What was driving me crazy.

I find Americans, despite peculiar use of language and annoying accents, do tend to pronounce the letters which are present in a word better than most.

Bobert

Only because they take their time with them. The US has a slow drawl.

CookieMonster

They don't. Most normal people have very good pronunciation. The twits at RTE are the main offenders here. That and the D4OS accent which is now not so much an accent as it is a speech impediment.

Odyessus

No worse than alot of other places though. I was watching Sky News yesterday where Princes William and Harry were being interviewed - their consistent omission of T at the end of words such as What was driving me crazy.

I find Americans, despite peculiar use of language and annoying accents, do tend to pronounce the letters which are present in a word better than most.

Yes, that irritates me too. "Gahwick" Airport is a case in point. They also seem to pronounce "Ireland" the same way as "island". And don't get me started on "hurrikin" for "hurricane", being aped increasingly on RTE.

H.R. Haldeman

What on earth is a "north Dublin" accent DS-09? You know Gerry Ryan is from the northside, right? And the corrollary - that everyone from the southside talks like Brian O'Driscoll - is just ridiculous. Come on DS-09, at least get your terminology right or your larger point will just get lost.

But above all there's a real cart-before-horse thing going on in your OP. The reason there are more middle class (Dublin) accents on RTE is not because of an accent bias per se, but rather because there are fewer working class people in the fish tank of RTE to chose from when looking to hand out jobs. And why is that? Because middle class people have easier access to media jobs in the first place (primarily through education and upbringing). Turning this bald fact (which you would have every right to bemoan) into some culture war gibberish about accents is badly misguided.

Finally, I find it odd that you mention Duffy, Dunphy and Hobbs in a post about how there are no alternative accents on RTE! Except for RTE's top radio presenter, their main sports pundit and their primary source for financial advice! Not bad for a bunch of "inarticulate knackers"! I also wouldn't be surprised if very many of the nice-ish accents we hear on RTE aren't coming from the mouths of working-class folk who now want to talk a bit posher. Which, in itself, is a form of snobbery, just proving there is enough of it to go around.

jakdelad

the same on the news when the y are pronouncing yer man s name in iran

maa mood och ma din e jad
ever hear that clown batt okeefe
well the govt has put millins and millins of euros
what a lumphead

johnfás

And the corrollary - that everyone from the southside talks like Brian O'Driscoll - is just ridiculous.
Brian O'Driscoll is from the Northside - Clontarf - he just went to school in Blackrock, though he now lives in Clonskeagh.

Odyessus

the same on the news when the y are pronouncing yer man s name in iran

maa mood och ma din e jad
ever hear that clown batt okeefe
well the govt has put millins and millins of euros
what a lumphead
Batt O'Keefe is not a broadcaster. Hundreds of thousands of Irish people speak with regional accents which are to some extent irritating/unintelligible to people in other regions. This is why RTE wants accents which are as neutral as possible, Fergal Bowers notwithstanding.

H.R. Haldeman

Brian O'Driscoll is from the Northside - Clontarf - he just went to school in Blackrock, though he now lives in Clonskeagh.

Haha. I didn't actually know that. Drico a northsider! Man, whatever next.

Anyway, kinda proves my point anyway.

fergalr

"Doon Lowra" is the worst one for me. It's "Dun Leary"!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies