• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Achill 'House of Prayer' a fraud?


jerryp

Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
95
Shame to see €90,000 taken from that elderly woman. Questions also about that priest who still carries out his duties.
 

NotDevsSon

Active member
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
174
Unfortunately a lot of apparitionists develop complete delusions of self-importance and start making up mad claims about supposed predictions given by Jesus and Mary. One nut job in New York has predicted the end of the world, 19 times, courtesy of chats with the Virgin Mary. (Apparently the next 'end of the world' is this Sunday!)

Another nutter claimed the Virgin Mary was telling her that Pope Paul was being drugged and held tied up in the Vatican with an actor put in place by Liberals pretending to be the Pope. They even produced pictures of the pope and the 'actor' supposedly showing how the shapes of their noses and ears were different. (And yes they were. Their website conveniently showed pictures of an youngish pope circa 1963 and the 'actor' in 1977. They conveniently forgot that people when they hit their 70s often have their face shape change. Noses droop. Eyes droop. Ears become floppy. It is called ageing.)

So deluded fanatists who think Jesus and Mary are chatting with them can believe they have the right to do anything. Sure didn't God and his mammy authorise it?
 

Tizona

Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
13
The world is full of deluded and dangerous religious nutjobs these days.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Saw that one - sounds a bit dodgy IMO.

But sure it just goes to show that fools and their money are easily parted.

Real visionaries like St Bernadette, The Children of Fatima and Padre Pio led simple and religious lives even after they achieved fame.
 

Tizona

Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
13
Padre Pio? I read lately he'd been exposed as a fraud too!

Pio was always claiming to be sickly and in pain even as a young man. During the First World War he was in the army but spent much of his time in the infirmary. It appears to me that the priest had a psychiatric condition known as Munchausen syndrome. The founder of Rome’s Catholic university hospital concluded that the priest was “an ignorant and self-mutilating psychopath who exploited people’s credulity.” Reports to the Pope, about the priest, claimed he used a metal-tipped whip to beat himself. Of course in religion mental illness can easily be sanctified. In theological fantasy the mentally ill are either demon possessed or saints.
http://nogodzone.blogspot.com/2007/10/padre-pio-fraud.html
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
Tizona said:
Padre Pio? I read lately he'd been exposed as a fraud too!
Well its all down to whether you want to beleive in him or not.

Clearly while he lived his following was huge.

In a Country with such a healthy level of cynicism of the great and the good as Italy has that is no mean achievement.

I read they are putting his body on public display this Summer - don't miss it! :cool:
 

corkman2007

Active member
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
167
Got any proof there isn't an invisible tree growing out of your head?
 

NotDevsSon

Active member
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
174
Catalpa said:
Tizona said:
Padre Pio? I read lately he'd been exposed as a fraud too!
Well its all down to whether you want to beleive in him or not.

Clearly while he lived his following was huge.

In a Country with such a healthy level of cynicism of the great and the good as Italy has that is no mean achievement.

I read they are putting his body on public display this Summer - don't miss it! :cool:
Yes. His . . . em . . . body. When they took it was up it was partly skeletal. Bet it won't be when it does on display. I wonder will the Catholic Church point that out!
 

HanleyS

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
817
I've no doubt that it's a fraud and that the lady in charge has a mansion in malahide as alleged in the papers. I've second hand information but I have no reason to doubt the person I know who has dealt directly with her.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
NotDevsSon said:
Catalpa said:
Tizona said:
Padre Pio? I read lately he'd been exposed as a fraud too!
Well its all down to whether you want to beleive in him or not.

Clearly while he lived his following was huge.

In a Country with such a healthy level of cynicism of the great and the good as Italy has that is no mean achievement.

I read they are putting his body on public display this Summer - don't miss it! :cool:
Yes. His . . . em . . . body. When they took it was up it was partly skeletal. Bet it won't be when it does on display. I wonder will the Catholic Church point that out!
TBH I think they should let him Requiem in Pacet - if people want to visit his tomb to pay their respects so be it but this is a bit OTT.
 

Ataxia

Active member
Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
117
What make Ms. House of prayer a charlatan and a thief, while the pope is not?

She has not claimed anything that is any more ridiculous than regular Christian theology.
 

Akrasia

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
1,128
Catalpa said:
Real visionaries like St Bernadette, The Children of Fatima and Padre Pio led simple and religious lives even after they achieved fame.
hahahaha

yeah right, and the girls who took this photograph

Must have been telling the truth because they didn't milk the publicity to buy themselves mansions.
 

Catalpa

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
10,301
cactus flower said:
Her 'mansion' is certainly not up to Vatican accommodation.
You can visit the Vatican anyday you like.

It's open to all.

The Holy Father lives a simple and frugal life that carries an onerous responsibility.

He personally owns nothing there - he is merely the temporary custodian.
 

HanleyS

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
817
cactus flower said:
Her 'mansion' is certainly not up to Vatican accommodation.
I'm not particularly religious personally. What is remarkable is that she denies that she has a mansion.
 
Top