Adams is finished, surely?

I thought this merited its own thread. Gerry Adams version of what transpired after the revelation by his niece of her sexual abuse by her father has been shown to be untrue. I knew there was something wrong in the picture being painted by Adams, and now we know what. He apparently continued to campaign with his brother Liam many years later.

Suzanne Breen in today's Tribune:

Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams actively canvassed for the party in the general election of 1997 with his suspected paedophile brother Liam – in a period he claims they were estranged.

Today we publish photographs showing Gerry and Liam Adams canvassing side-by-side for Sinn Féin in Dundalk at a date when Gerry Adams insists his brother had been expelled from the party.

Liam Adams, who is wanted by the PSNI on charges that he repeatedly raped his daughter Aine from the age of four, is seen canvassing in a shopping centre and Dundalk streets and laughing with his brother Gerry, just days before the 6 June 1997 Dáil election.

A Co Louth republican said: "I'm horrified that, 10 years after Gerry Adams was told his brother was a child rapist, he accompanied him through the streets of Dundalk, meeting women and children. We are all shocked Liam Adams was allowed to be in Sinn Féin so long. We are disgusted at Gerry Adams's cover-up."
Exposed: Gerry Adams' lies over brother's Sinn Féin role

If this story gets legs in the broadcast media this week, he'll be gone within 10 days, surely? Or will it be a protracted slow-burn of unnecessary embarrassment for all concerned?

I'd say he's finished.

TommyO'Brien

I can understand that an incident wasn't reported by someone where the victim asked them not to. (That is the difference between what happened in this case and with the Catholic bishops. The latter had incidents reported to them to act on and covered them up. In this instance the suggestion is that Adams was asked by the victim and others not to act on it.) But telling lies about what actions you took against that person short of reporting him when the victim didn't want it reported is a different thing entirely.

This isn't a political issue, but an issue of right and wrong. Adams, to use that cliché, has serious questions to answer.

I can understand that an incident wasn't reported by someone where the victim asked them not to. (That is the difference between what happened in this case and with the Catholic bishops. The latter had incidents reported to them to act on and covered them up. In this instance the suggestion is that Adams was asked by the victim and others not to act on it.) But telling lies about what actions you took against that person short of reporting him when the victim didn't want it reported is a different thing entirely.

This isn't a political issue, but an issue of right and wrong. Adams, to use that cliché, has serious questions to answer.
Yes, and not wanting to air private business is quite different from spending years pretending all is fine and dandy and laughing together for photos. I can see two alternative outcomes here - a protracted and embarrassing attempt at salvaging political credibility, particularly if this doesn't get picked up by TV and radio, or else a swift exit within the next ten days. I can't see how he can possibly survive this. How can he credibly attack Fianna Fáil for sleaze or whatever when he seemingly ignored or pretended to ignore what his brother did? Endgame for Gerry Adams, I'm sure of it.

jdaly

I thought this merited its own thread. Gerry Adams version of what transpired after the revelation by his niece of her sexual abuse by her father has been shown to be untrue. I knew there was something wrong in the picture being painted by Adams, and now we know what. He apparently continued to campaign with his brother Liam many years later.

Suzanne Breen in today's Tribune:

Exposed: Gerry Adams' lies over brother's Sinn Féin role

If this story gets legs in the broadcast media this week, he'll be gone within 10 days, surely? Or will it be a protracted slow-burn of unnecessary embarrassment for all concerned?

I'd say he's finished.
Logically you are right but to date only a few journalists have been willing to look at the questions which surround Adams in this abuse case and if the full truth is to be got it needs more journalists to take courage and go after the truth instead of doing a Tommy Gorman style soft interview.

SideysGhost

*shrugs*

Adams not entirely on speaking terms with the actual facts shocker.

The man's a bit of a fantasist, always has been. He's been telling porkies for decades and not been challenged on them. Then again, nobody every really bothered to challenge that other fantasist Da Bert on his various tall tales, so really a lot of people aren't in much of a position to challenge Adams.

We're a dishonest little country and the Truth is simply not something we are interested in. These dishonest politicians are merely a reflection of the national fetish for tall tales and myths.

mmrebel

I think people will find Armani Adams has big brass neck that would put most of FF to shame and he will try to tough it out, although reading the article i wouldn't be surprised if it was the excuse to launch a heave against him .

Sync

We'll see how it turns out, more investigation is required, and clarity from Mr. Adams. If he's been dishonest in his statements then he needs to go, more for political expediency than any suspicion of material wrongdoing.

I would say though that the newspaper article doesn't name a single source, and at no point contains the vital line "We contacted Mr. Adams prior to publication but received no comment", so I would have reservations about its veracity.

darkhorse

This is a private family issue for Gerry Adams and has no politicial consequences
You have to consider the views of his brothers (not Liam) and sisters views and also his mother
Nothing to do with Sinn Fein or anyones abhorence of Irish nationalism

Logically you are right but to date only a few journalists have been willing to look at the questions which surround Adams in this abuse case and if the full truth is to be got it needs more journalists to take courage and go after the truth instead of doing a Tommy Gorman style soft interview.
I think it's too late for the Gorman approach. The journalists were playing softball because they didn't know what to make of it, calculating there might be sympathy for Gerry Adams being in a difficult and delicate position. Now Breen has exposed the lie, and what a lie it was. I'm not an Adams-basher, I've no particular issue against him, but this is political rat-poison. His moral authority is now no different than that of any bishop or priest who turned a blind eye, or seemed to, in the case of a child's sexual abuse. He will be gone within days, particularly if this picked up by the broadcast media. Otherwise any pretence at moral authority from Sinn Féin will be quickly ridiculed.

*shrugs*

Adams not entirely on speaking terms with the actual facts shocker.

The man's a bit of a fantasist, always has been. He's been telling porkies for decades and not been challenged on them. Then again, nobody every really bothered to challenge that other fantasist Da Bert on his various tall tales, so really a lot of people aren't in much of a position to challenge Adams.

We're a dishonest little country and the Truth is simply not something we are interested in. These dishonest politicians are merely a reflection of the national fetish for tall tales and myths.
You have a point, of course, but this is of a different order. This is the sexual abuse of a child by a politician's own brother, seemingly glossed over or shrugged off by the politician. He can not survive.

We'll see how it turns out, more investigation is required, and clarity from Mr. Adams. If he's been dishonest in his statements then he needs to go, more for political expediency than any suspicion of material wrongdoing.

I would say though that the newspaper article doesn't name a single source, and at no point contains the vital line "We contacted Mr. Adams prior to publication but received no comment", so I would have reservations about its veracity.

Argue with this (The Argus from 1997):

A direct photographic contradiction of his own version.

This is a private family issue for Gerry Adams and has no politicial consequences
You have to consider the views of his brothers (not Liam) and sisters views and also his mother
Nothing to do with Sinn Fein or anyones abhorence of Irish nationalism
This is past politics, or nationalism, or unionism, or any other ism. It's the destruction of all moral authority of the longest-serving political leader in this country, and completely personal.

Sync

You have a point, of course, but this is of a different order. This is the sexual abuse of a child by a politician's own brother, seemingly glossed over or shrugged off by the politician. He can not survive.
I don't want to step into his mind, but I'd certainly agree his position seems untenable. I would be far more focused on ensuring that the police who ignored the alleged victims claims are off the force, along with the RUC members who signed the letter Liam required to work with children. This has been a systemic failure that should be fully addressed, not just result in a witch hunt against one person.

'orebel

I think people will find Armani Adams has big brass neck that would put most of FF to shame and he will try to tough it out, although reading the article i wouldn't be surprised if it was the excuse to launch a heave against him .
I think people will find that the brass neck you speak of was a construction of FF. If Adams tries it on, he'll be doing a Haughey/Bertie/cowen(insert your favourite FFer with apair of nuts like Ruby Walsh)

I don't want to step into his mind, but I'd certainly agree his position seems untenable. I would be far more focused on ensuring that the police who ignored the alleged victims claims are off the force, along with the RUC members who signed the letter Liam required to work with children. This has been a systemic failure that should be fully addressed, not just result in a witch hunt against one person.
Yes, of course. The full truth about Kincora would be good too. But it doesn't make Adams any less caught.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Adams is gone

For years even M16 have mistrusted him, preferring to deal with McGuiness instead (honest)

cYp

darkhorse

Yes, of course. The full truth about Kincora would be good too. But it doesn't make Adams any less caught.
I would certainly agree that the truth of Kincora should be revealed
But are you suggesting that Adams was a sexual abuser or what exact guilt does he hold?
Bearing in mind that Suzanne Breen is simply pushing her career along the line
for her it does not matter whether the allegation is true or false (false in this case)
if it sells news papers thats enough

Looks like he's decided to do this the hard way. Oh dear.

Gerry Adams’s spokesman yesterday insisted the photographs did “not in any way punch a hole” in Mr Adams’s statement that he acted against his brother in Louth to prevent him being selected as the party’s candidate.
Asked about the pictures in the Sunday Tribune of Gerry Adams and Liam Adams together on the canvass with Mr Hanratty, the spokesman said Gerry Adams could not prevent his brother joining a canvass in which the Sinn Féin president was participating.
“What was he to do: stand up and say on a loudspeaker that there are allegations of abuse against my brother?” he said.
The spokesman also said the sources of the claims in Dundalk against Gerry Adams were “dissidents” motivated by antagonism against the Sinn Féin leader.

Gerry Adams did block brother, says SF - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 28, 2009

So the defence is that the brother jumped out and forced Gerry Adams to sit smiling beside him, and nothing could be done to prevent the brother acting effectively as his man in Louth. Sorry, it's not going to wash. Not even close.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies