• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Adolf Hitler, the traditional Irish music fan.

ruserious

Irish dancing as portrayed in this still from Der Fuchs von Glenarvon 1940

Shpake

Adolf Hitler, the Irish folk music fan | Irish News and Politics spanning the US, Ireland and the World | IrishCentral

Many Germans have shown an interest in traditional Irish music over the years, but this is one is news to me.
Apparently Sean Dempsey also played at the 1936 Olympics, which presumably was when this happened. I'd be interested to know if anyone can throw any more light on this event.
I recall reading an article a few years back (one of the Irish papers) where some Irish Uileann-piper is across in Germany and has to play before Hitler along with a lot of other folk musicians from around Europe. When his time for performance comes up, there was no chair. You can't play the uileann pipes standing up. So Auf Befehl Herrn Fuehrer! one of the SA or SS men was ordered to kneel down on all fours and he served as the chair for our bowld lad who did his jigs and reels before Adolf. Not the most romantic setting but there you are. I think it might have been at the Olympics... but I just don't recall the detail of names and such.
done my best.

Last edited:

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
sure its a well known fact adolf lost one of his lanigans doing a jig

former wesleyan

Your search - " Hitlers love of Irish traditional music " - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

* Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
* Try different keywords.
* Try more general keywords.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
I recall reading an article a few years back (one of the Irish papers) where some Irish Uileann-piper is across in Germany and has to play before Hitler along with a lot of other folk musicians from around Europe. When his time for performance comes up, there was no chair. You can't play the uileann pipes standing up. So Auf Befehl Herrn Fuehrer! one of the SA or SS men was ordered to kneel down on all fours and he served as the chair for our bowld lad who did his jigs and reels in before Adolf. Not the most romantic setting but there you are. I think it might have been at the Olympics... but I just don't recall the detail of names and such.
done my best.
wonder if that was the inspiration for sasha cohens people furniture in the movie BRUNO

Shpake

there is an adolf o hitler, maybe a distant relation

adolf o hitler - YouTube
One of the few good stories out of the second world war. They say war brings out the worst and the best of people... do some research on William Patrick Hitler. It's the Hitler Irish connection
You wouldn't believe it over the Pie boards.
This is not a joke

Hitch 22

Hitler was only interested in German music and specifically Richard Wagner.
Wagner's music and opera is filled suitably with dark brooding menace and macho mythological themes.

[video=youtube;L8wHteSOwW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wHteSOwW4[/video]

Or extreme romantic flights of fancy

[video=youtube;jM0i-630CO4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM0i-630CO4[/video]

Charlie Chaplin parodied his egoism perfectly in the Great Dictator

[video=youtube;XHpvzXZoGx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpvzXZoGx4[/video]

gerhard dengler

It's hardly unusual to like various musical styles of course. I do anyway.
That's fair comment.

but it doesn't take from the fact that Hitler's taste in music was of the classical variety.

I doubt that Irish traditional music had much impact internationally at that time. Perhaps it did in locations where the Irish emigrated to but it wouldn't have had much impact in other countries at that time.

Half Nelson

TommyO'Brien

Hitler's interest in Ireland was because his brother, Alois Jr, lived in Ireland for a while, where he worked as a waiter in the Shelbourne Hotel. Alois married Brigid Dowling (whose family lived off Mespil Road) in 1910. They had a son, William Patrick Hitler, who changed his surname after the war and died in 1987. Bridget Dowling Hitler died in 1969. She had divorced Alois in the 1920s because he was violent. William Patrick Hitler served in the US Navy during World War II while his mother campaigned publicly for the Allies.

Through his Irish sister-in-law and Irish nephew, Adolf Hitler supposedly became interested in all things Irish.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Hitler grew up in a country with a discredited political elite, a financial crash, etc etc... and he listened to diddley diddley music too ? if he had his way he would have done the same to us as they did in Norway. Got all the women preggers with german officers , still, could have meant an extra eurovision song winner for the emerald isle ?

chriskavo

The Fuhrers and Davey Arthur ;)

Hitch 22

Part 1 of this Nazi pile of crap.

[video=youtube;-Ct8wkPIKUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ct8wkPIKUo&feature=related[/video]

Roman Emperor

...Many Germans have shown an interest in traditional Irish music over the years, but this is one is news to me.
Apparently Sean Dempsey also played at the 1936 Olympics, which presumably was when this happened. I'd be interested to know if anyone can throw any more light on this event.
Earlier this year I heard a radio programme where a women spoke about dancing for Josef Goebbels and other Nazis. I think it was during the Berlin Olympics and though Hitler was mentioned,I can't remember if she said he was there. Not certain,but I think it was the Mooney show on Radio One.

Marcos the black

Hitler's interest in Ireland was because his brother, Alois Jr, lived in Ireland for a while, where he worked as a waiter in the Shelbourne Hotel. Alois married Brigid Dowling (whose family lived off Mespil Road) in 1910. They had a son, William Patrick Hitler, who changed his surname after the war and died in 1987. Bridget Dowling Hitler died in 1969. She had divorced Alois in the 1920s because he was violent. William Patrick Hitler served in the US Navy during World War II while his mother campaigned publicly for the Allies.

Through his Irish sister-in-law and Irish nephew, Adolf Hitler supposedly became interested in all things Irish.
Hrmmm.. Tommy, not sure if all the above is 100%. The main body of it is, he did work in the Shelbourne and he did marry a Dowling.. He was still around Europe into the 30's and apparently had to flee Germany as Hitler was so embarrassed by him that he sent "the lads" after him... Their 3 children still live in upstate New York and never got married, or had any kids. Decided to let the "Hitler gene" die with them.... Apparently.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies