• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Advice on printers please?

blokesbloke

Cooee dears, may I pick some techie brains about what printer to get?

As many of you know I'm doing an Open University course, so I want one for essays.

You submit everything online but I like to print them out first for proof-reading, and then you get it sent back with typed annotations - just really basic stuff like an arrow pointing to a particular sentence leading to a comment in a box on the side.

I have a cheap mono laser but the annotations are all in colour - and of course I could manage without colour, but I do find them easier to read with colour and since colour printers are so cheap now I thought I might get one.

I don't care about photos, on the rare occasion I want to print out digital photos I go to Boots, it's less hassle than buying photo paper and ink and doing it all myself.

So I want colour but very simple colour for coloured texts and very basic blocky graphics - flow-charts etc.

I won't be printing a lot, probably 100 pages or so a month at most, but even so I don't want to get the cheapest printer available only to find it a false economy because the ink or toner costs a fortune.

I've read inkjets use a lot of ink self-cleaning every time you switch them on so even for low-volume users they can use a lot of ink.

Any ideas - should I go for a colour laser or an inkjet, and would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a printer which is a bit more expensive but has cheaper ink or toner and is reliable?

Thank you in advance.

Se0samh

Cooee dears, may I pick some techie brains about what printer to get?

As many of you know I'm doing an Open University course, so I want one for essays.

You submit everything online but I like to print them out first for proof-reading, and then you get it sent back with typed annotations - just really basic stuff like an arrow pointing to a particular sentence leading to a comment in a box on the side.

I have a cheap mono laser but the annotations are all in colour - and of course I could manage without colour, but I do find them easier to read with colour and since colour printers are so cheap now I thought I might get one.

I don't care about photos, on the rare occasion I want to print out digital photos I go to Boots, it's less hassle than buying photo paper and ink and doing it all myself.

So I want colour but very simple colour for coloured texts and very basic blocky graphics - flow-charts etc.

I won't be printing a lot, probably 100 pages or so a month at most, but even so I don't want to get the cheapest printer available only to find it a false economy because the ink or toner costs a fortune.

I've read inkjets use a lot of ink self-cleaning every time you switch them on so even for low-volume users they can use a lot of ink.

Any ideas - should I go for a colour laser or an inkjet, and would it be cheaper in the long run to buy a printer which is a bit more expensive but has cheaper ink or toner and is reliable?

Thank you in advance.

Budget?.............

blokesbloke

Budget?.............
I hadn't thought really - I don't want to spend more than I need to but I am willing to pay extra for a good quality one which will be reliable and last - don't want to pay for features I don't need though.

Maybe up to £200? I don't care about printing photos and I'll never use anything bigger than A4.

Might be nice to have one which can print onto envelopes without hassle, though I'd only need to print one envelope at a time so happy to feed in to a dedicated slot.

Be nice if it was a good paper handler too, I hate ones which jam all the time.

Wi-Fi might be cool but I can easily do without it.

Rural

I hadn't thought really - I don't want to spend more than I need to but I am willing to pay extra for a good quality one which will be reliable and last - don't want to pay for features I don't need though.

Maybe up to £200? I don't care about printing photos and I'll never use anything bigger than A4.

Might be nice to have one which can print onto envelopes without hassle, though I'd only need to print one envelope at a time so happy to feed in to a dedicated slot.

I got a present of a Wi-Fi a few years back and I've never looked back, it also has a photocopier and scanner. I love it so much!:)

Se0samh

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Xpress-C1810W-Colour-Printer/dp/B00J9KTAIU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470070870&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+sl-c1810w

Reasonable running costs for a laser printer..............

Catalpast

BB - a colour laser printer cab be got for a reasonable enough price

- its the cost of the toners when they have to be replaced that is the killer

However if you print nearly all in B&W and use the colours sparingly it may be the way to go

TBH for private use (SOHO) then a good colour inkjet would be more advisable

If you want wireless then you should see 'W' in the description

Hope that helps...:)

Accidental sock

over the last 10 years or so, I've owned a myriad of printers....each and every one was ************************.

....so don't get any of those.

Casablanca

Given the amount of printing you'll be doing, an inkjet all-in-one (scanner, printer & photocopier) would seem a better bet for you, BB. Any of the known brands ( Canon, HP, Brother, Samsung, not a fan ofl Epson myself), should be good. PC World/Currys tell you the cost per page to print in the description of their products which is good. As Catalpast said, 'W' indicates wi-if compatible.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
over the last 10 years or so, I've owned a myriad of printers....each and every one was ************************.

....so don't get any of those.
Oh Brother, I wish you'd have said something sooner.

BB- nowadays, printers are a bit like Gillette Mach 27 Supra Fighter Jet razors. Cheap enough to buy upfront, but the ink/toners are a very expensive ongoing cost.

milipod

Just put on dating site must have a printer.

Se0samh

Given the amount of printing you'll be doing, an inkjet all-in-one (scanner, printer & photocopier) would seem a better bet for you, BB. Any of the known brands ( Canon, HP, Brother, Samsung, not a fan ofl Epson myself), should be good. PC World/Currys tell you the cost per page to print in the description of their products which is good. As Catalpast said, 'W' indicates wi-if compatible.

Possibly, especially if you print regularly, but if weeks go by between jobs then inkjets tend to clog and huge amounts of ink can be wasted during cleaning......................:(

jmcc

Epson ink tank series (L355 etc). They use tanks of ink rather than ink cartridges and are cheaper to run. They have an integrated scanner and print in colour. Quality may not be as high as a colour laserjet but the ink tanks last for a lot longer between refills. The ink refills are about £10 a bottle (4 bottles).

https://www.epson.eu/for-home/ink-tank-system

The cost of the printer is higher but the savings are in the cost of the ink. (Approximately 2 years worth in the box rather than the cut down inkjet cartridges that come with most cheap printers.) And they even appear to be available from Argos. They also have Wifi.

Last edited:

danger here

May I suggest a 'manual' printer . My old man was delighted to pick one up in Dixons in Oxford Street in the early 90s and brought it back on the Aer Lingus flight for a night degree he was doing at the IPA, one he never finished. Have fond memories of him banging away on it late one night for hours on end before driving across Dublin around 4am to hand in the paper :p If only he'd waited a few more years.

cozzy121

Don't go beyond "the Griffith"

But in all seriousness I've seen Aldi & Lidl do Colour/printer/ scanner/photocopiers for under €100

blokesbloke

May I suggest a 'manual' printer . My old man was delighted to pick one up in Dixons in Oxford Street in the early 90s and brought it back on the Aer Lingus flight for a night degree he was doing at the IPA, one he never finished. Have fond memories of him banging away on it late one night for hours on end before driving across Dublin around 4am to hand in the paper :p If only he'd waited a few more years.

Brings back memories - I had a Panasonic word processor which had an unlit four-line (I think) LCD display. Also purchased in Dixons in the early 1990s! In a local high street shop which has of course long since closed.

I was a teenager and Mumsy and Dadsy got it for me - it seemed very high-tech to me because despite the limited display, I'd only ever owned a ZX Spectrum before with one of those thermal mini-printers which could only print on a loo-roll-like roll of shiny paper!

This Panasonic was basically an electric typewriter as above, but it had the little display so you could do basic word-processing before leaving it to print, very slowly, a letter at a time!

But it could print on proper A4 paper and it had a floppy disk drive which I'd always coveted since I was strictly cassette-tape-based on the Speccy!

Oh memories!

Didn't get me first PC until I was 16 - got an old-stock IBM business machine in a small case with a laptop-style keyboard with nipple - no mouse - with Windows 3.1, no CD-ROM drive (had a floppy!) a cheap Hyundai mono screen and a HP DeskJet 540 printer.

One thing I'll say though - the DeskJet was expensive but compared to modern DeskJets it was built like a tank and ran quietly and smoothly.

And 3.1 was clunky but Solitaire was free!

Last edited:

Se0samh

Thank you dear x

Nae probs mucker..........:)

Happened to be in tesco today, they had a reasonable canon printer, wireless and auto duplexing for £59, replacement black and colour cartridges only £23. You pays your money and takes your choice.......................:D

Malvaro

I am using Brother J-125 3 in one over 4 years. Reliable service much more satisfactory.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies