• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

aer lingus

toughbutfair

anybody watching prime time about Aer Lingus. The company is losing hundreds of millions every year while Ryanair is making hundreds of millions of profits.

If Aer Lingus is to survive it needs to make massive cuts but Unions (as usual) don't want to take cuts - do they know what the point of a company is?

Why is Aer Lingus so bad? is it just because they tolerate trade unions (which I'd never do if I ran a company)

even Aer Lingus flights to the UK is losing lots of money but Ryanair is doing the same thing?

Harmonica

If Aer Lingus is to survive it needs to make massive cuts but Unions (as usual) don't want to take cuts - do they know what the point of a company is?

Why is Aer Lingus so bad? is it just because they tolerate trade unions (which I'd never do if I ran a company)
AL almost entirely dependent on traffic from & to Ireland but Ryanair are spread across Europe. I was looking at this flight map yesterday & was surprised to see so many hubs across the continent.

beanie

Just copied from prime time thread.
How big was aerlingus to begin with? For years they seem to be costcutting and reducing staff Just hand it over to ryanair at this stage.

diablo

anybody watching prime time about Aer Lingus. The company is losing hundreds of millions every year while Ryanair is making hundreds of millions of profits.

even Aer Lingus flights to the UK is losing lots of money but Ryanair is doing the same thing?

Oh no you've started an AL thread. You've really gone and done it now............Odie, Andromachus, Cinik and Sailor will be along in a minute to take over :)

Spailpin

I have also noticed that flights booked from the USA to Ireland are at least 50% to 75% more expensive than flights on the same date from Ireland to the USA.

Once again, its not enough to scalp all the emigrants who wish to return.

Aer Lingus now will return to its policy of "FLEECING" anyone who does want to return for holiday.
No wonder there has been such a reduction in the amount of people returning to Ireland.
Drop in tourist numbers continues
I can remember getting a quote on a compassionate Flight from New York to Shannon return for 1,300 punts back in the 90's. That was if i filed paperwork from the relevant hospital.
I had not time for this bullsiht and told them to shove it and just get me on the first flight home.
they are shameless leeches and i feel no sympathy for anything that may happen to that company

I will sincerely try never to fly aer lingus again as they are shameless in their treatment of emigrants who want to visit Ireland on a regular basis.

Let them go belly up and fester I say...
Now that they have been privatised and they have butchered its staff payroll why should we worry about them?

Pity the government cant "privatise" some elements of the public sector so we can justifiably cull unnecessary staff... Just a thought ;-)

Last edited:

True Republican

What odds the unions gon on strike before Christmas, it was laughable when they described the proposed job cuts as "Draconian" as well as proposed pay cuts, personally Mueller should have been looking to cut at least 1,100 jobs, thats how many jobs need to be cut to make Aer Lingus viable again, I wonder will the unions bring Aer Lingus to the edge of bankruptcy, secretly, I reckon the unions want the government to come in and renationalize Aer Lingus.

diablo

Anyway, in reply to the OP, I don't think they're *that* badly run compared to other airlines.....but they are brutaly exposed by Ryanair as they compete head to head in Dublin. I would say that AL are as or more competitive than most flag carriers but most flag carriers don't compete head to head with ryanair. e.g. Ryanair flies out of London but not head to head with BA out of Heathrow. They are never going to match Ryanair on fares so they need to find other differentiators....Heathrow access, connectivity and transatlantic being among them.

diablo

I have also noticed that flights booked from the USA to Ireland are at least 50% to 75% more expensive than flights on the same date from Ireland to the USA.

Once again, its not enough to scalp all the emigrants who wish to return.

Aer Lingus now will return to its policy of "FLEECING" anyone who does want to return for holiday.
No wonder there has been such a reduction in the amount of people returning to Ireland.

I can remember getting a quote on a compassionate Flight from New York to Shannon return for 1,300 punts back in the 90's. That was if i filed paperwork from the relevant hospital.
I had not time for this bullsiht and told them to shove it and just get me on the first flight home.
they are shameless leeches and i feel no sympathy for anything that may happen to that company

I will sincerely try never to fly aer lingus again as they are shameless in their treatment of emigrants who want to visit Ireland on a regular basis.

Let them go belly up and fester I say...
Now that they have been privatised and they have butchered its staff payroll why should we worry about them?

Pity the government cant "privatise" some elements of the public sector so we can justifiably cull unnecessary staff... Just a thought ;-)
They can and should charge whatever the hell they can get away with. They're not running some emigrant outreach program.

toughbutfair

I just booked a flight yesterday to the midlands for 45 quid (after tax) with Ryanair and yet they make a profit.

They get their staff to work, land the plane, refuel and fly back. Keep it in the air. I believe that turnaround time is much longer with Aer Lingus, Also Aer Lingus staff are overapaid ( I read their pilots are on 300k) and I expect they get ridiculous perks. I bet ryanair staff stay in a travellodge while Aer Lingus staff stay in hotels.

Unions kill business.

atlantic

Its was privatized with the same drivel servants working that refused to change ,so it's doomed to failure.

johnfás

I just booked a flight yesterday to the midlands for 45 quid (after tax) with Ryanair and yet they make a profit.

They get their staff to work, land the plane, refuel and fly back. Keep it in the air. I believe that turnaround time is much longer with Aer Lingus, Also Aer Lingus staff are overapaid ( I read their pilots are on 300k) and I expect they get ridiculous perks. I bet ryanair staff stay in a travellodge while Aer Lingus staff stay in hotels.

Unions kill business.
I know someone who left Aer Lingus for another career in about 1989 and still gets discounted travel from them. That is just indicative of the crazy goings on in Aer Lingus.

The thing about Aer Lingus is the situation is quite simple. If it does not slim down, it will go bankrupt. Now, that isn't going to be very nice for alot of people, but there is not going to be a rescue. If the staff don't accept it, they will pretty much all lose their jobs, and it is as stark as that.

Spailpin

They can and should charge whatever the hell they can get away with. They're not running some emigrant outreach program.
Fine by me but do not expect me to subsidise your inefficient asses in the process.
Why should someone traveling from the USA pay waaay more than someone traveling from Ireland while traveling on the same dates/

Typical of Ireland you want to have your cake and eat it.
Screw Aer Lingus I say.
That is a similar sentiment from a lot of the people who emigrated because as Brian Lenihan senior said:
“after all, we can't all live on a small island"
(Brian Lenihan Snr. in interview with Newsweek in October 1987)

do not come crying to the Irish Emigrants who have been one of the mainstays of financial support for your pisspot airline for decades when it goes belly up.

hammer

Sure doesn`t the poster boy Seanie have free travel. It is only the ordinary honest to God Paye paying families( that bail out the banks ) that need to pay to travel Aer Lingus. All other scum bags travel for free.

diablo

Unions kill business.
You'll probably find that a pilot earned 300k but their pilots are not "on 300k". I've read enough BS in newspapers about companies that I've worked for to know to take these reports with a pinch of salt. Anyway Ryanair claim that their pilots are paid better. Ryanair staff don't stay anywhere as they are employed wherever the aircraft is based. Some Ryanair pilots look like they're barely old enough to drive a Nissan Micra never mind a 737. Less experienced crew are cheaper.

hammer

The Government has really done a great job with Aer Lingus. Staff must be thrilled. 676 redundancies this year alone. MORE to follow.

Sync

So you would prefer the govt had retained ownership? Knowing public money couldn't be put into it?

discosunbeams

What odds the unions gon on strike before Christmas, it was laughable when they described the proposed job cuts as "Draconian" as well as proposed pay cuts, personally Mueller should have been looking to cut at least 1,100 jobs, thats how many jobs need to be cut to make Aer Lingus viable again, I wonder will the unions bring Aer Lingus to the edge of bankruptcy, secretly, I reckon the unions want the government to come in and renationalize Aer Lingus.
A true republican who supports job cuts? clearly the American kind then, yeah?

diablo

Fine by me but do not expect me to subsidise your inefficient asses in the process.
Why should someone traveling from the USA pay waaay more than someone traveling from Ireland while traveling on the same dates/

Typical of Ireland you want to have your cake and eat it.
Screw Aer Lingus I say.
That is a similar sentiment from a lot of the people who emigrated because as Brian Lenihan senior said:
“after all, we can't all live on a small island"
(Brian Lenihan Snr. in interview with Newsweek in October 1987)

do not come crying to the Irish Emigrants who have been one of the mainstays of financial support for your pisspot airline for decades when it goes belly up.

You're not being asked to subsidise anything. AL has to compete against US airlines but AL cannot avail of the government bailouts that the US government gives to US airlines. So AL has to subsidise your inefficient US asses!

Andromachus

Why do all these threads ALWAYS have EXACTLY the same characters?
Mr.Angry-Anti-Unions
Mr.I'm-flying to XXX this week, (aren't I great).
Miss I-know-somebody-works-there
Madame Bail-out-the-banks (but why should we bail out airlines)....

Then the themes are just the same old bullsh1t over and over and OVER.
Cheeerist it gets old.