• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Affluence.....!

Victor Meldrew

Or as it is being slated in the IT, "Rich land, Poor land"

Rich land, poor land - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 05, 2013

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex

you can drill down to the relative wealth of your road, or part of your road. Our rural viewers have less granularity.

There are some mad anomalies. Like half a block of flats in Tallaght / citywest being "very affluent" with the other half being merely slightly above average.

There is a red blob near poppintree near Ikea which is the most deprived area. it is a halting site.

Surprised this did not make it onto here before.

Bill

at first I thought you'd bought a renault

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Thanks - very interesting.

It doesn't seem to go down to road level - although it does go down to very small areas

west'sawake

Yahoo, I'm a working class hero, according to my road; more effluent that affluent then I suppose, wouldn't mind but I do like quiche.

Thank God, hate to part of middle class mediocrity.

I wonder do the neighbours know!

Last edited:

Victor Meldrew

I haven't seen details on how they determine wealth. The cost of living in urban areas is likely higher than rural areas so you can't determine wealth purely on earnings. Some rural people could also be income poor but asset rich.
In my immediate area the bigger houses detached houses, some with better addresses, are marked down vis a vis the smaller houses. which does not make sense. There are several anomolies here. I do not buy the methodology and the absence of real deprivation in some utterly grim areas in Dublin.

All i know is that we probably paid for this to be done.

Interviewing the SVDP in each constituency and parish would have yielded far better info.

bluefirelog

Interesting! Did the census have a question on income and is that what they used to determine what to describe it as? Did they use the answers to questions such as how many rooms you have etc? They mention the census data in the I.T. article...

southwestkerry

Most off Kerry flares well.... not.
SwK
PS wounder if I can use the data to campaign for dirt low household tax. :rolleyes:

Bill

petunia

Only until the warranty runs out...
it'll have driven you mental before then, I've also texted my brother to inform him that the park in-front of his house is more affluent than he is.

Brenny

Pretty amusing, the area I grew up in was slightly above and the area I live in now is slightly below average. Some strange anomalies as some of the lads have pointed out already. Thomond Village Student Accommodation in Limerick, near LIT, seems to be the most affluent place in Limerick county!?!? Brookfield Hall Student accommodation in Castletroy, Limerick fares pretty high as well, it's in the Blue, whereas other parts of Castletroy, like Kilbane, seem more average. A quick glance at those places on google map will tell you that's wrong. And how the hell is O'Malley Park not in the Red?!?!? Rathkeale shows up as fairly average!?!?

bluefirelog

Pretty amusing, the area I grew up in was slightly above and the area I live in now is slightly below average. Some strange anomalies as some of the lads have pointed out already. Thomond Village Student Accommodation in Limerick, near LIT, seems to be the most affluent place in Limerick county!?!? Brookfield Hall Student accommodation in Castletroy, Limerick fares pretty high as well, it's in the Blue, whereas other parts of Castletroy, like Kilbane, seem more average. A quick glance at those places on google map will tell you that's wrong. And how the hell is O'Malley Park not in the Red?!?!? Rathkeale shows up as fairly average!?!?
Interesting about the student accommodation. Looks like they used the answers in the census on level of education and made an assumption that those fully occupied and with a high level of education (e.g. students) were rated highest. They also seem to have rated whether people were employed or not as very high. One wonders how they rated retired etc.

cobhguy

Yes i would wounder about this alright. according to it i live in a affluent area and the street next to mine is a very affluent area. By the way i am renting a 3 bed semi for 600 a month. Does that seem affluent.

Irish Citizens Party

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex

you can drill down to the relative wealth of your road, or part of your road. Our rural viewers have less granularity.

There are some mad anomalies. Like half a block of flats in Tallaght / citywest being "very affluent" with the other half being merely slightly above average.

There is a red blob near poppintree near Ikea which is the most deprived area. it is a halting site.

An expensive survey to tell us what we already know - nothing changes.
Limerick city with which I am very familiar is typical of our two tier society. When Frank Mc Court lived in one very deprived area (Angela's Ashes) it was located directly behind St Joseph's church which fronts onto one of the most affluent avenues in the city. Other similar examples abound.

Number one in the action programme of the party I have launched is "to champion the cause of people living in disadvantaged urban areas in every respect, putting quality of life as the top priority"
Jim Connolly

Brenny

Interesting about the student accommodation. Looks like they used the answers in the census on level of education and made an assumption that those fully occupied and with a high level of education (e.g. students) were rated highest. They also seem to have rated whether people were employed or not as very high. One wonders how they rated retired etc.
Education, broadband usage...........I'm trying to think of the criteria they're using that would explain student villages getting such a high rating.

RahenyFG

ArcGIS Viewer for Flex

Such equality once again proves we're not a real republic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies