• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

African kids are academically outperforming their white peers in UK

O

Oscurito

I have seen numerous discussions over the years about the relationship between IQ and race and how that in turn affects educational attainment. The discussion tends to proceed along the lines of certain right-wing eugenicist types insisting that there a close link between race and IQ and that this - not discrimination - explains why students from Africa (or of African heritage) don’t perform as well academically as those from other ethnic groups.

Well, that argument is being blown out of the water - at least in the UK - because children from many African countries are now academically outperforming their native white British peers by their mid to late teens. This is happening in cases even when the child’s first language isn’t English.

Of course, home environment counts for a lot and - in my personal experience here in Ireland - African immigrant families bring values of discipline, respect, hard work and a firm sense of ethics that’s rooted (like it or not) in religion - usually Christianity.

One way or another, the white British working class is being left behind in their own country and that’s not good for anyone.

White British children fall behind other ethnicities at school due to lack of parent support | Daily Mail Online

White British pupils 'lag behind ethnic minority peers' - BBC News

Morgellons

Why can't they do this in Africa and work to make it a better place to live?

sondagefaux

Not really news though. There was a bigoted headline in the Sun a couple of decades ago relating to a story about educational attainment among different ethnic groups in Britain.

'We're Thicker Than The Irish' was the charming headline; the article went on to outline how White British kids were closer to the bottom than to the top of the various ethnic groups when it came to educational attainment.

O

Oscurito

Not really news though. There was a bigoted headline in the Sun a couple of decades ago relating to a story about educational attainment among different ethnic groups in Britain.

'We're Thicker Than The Irish' was the charming headline; the article went on to outline how White British kids were closer to the bottom than to the top of the various ethnic groups when it came to educational attainment.
True but if I recall correctly, black pupils were amongst the worse performers then. No more.....

I see that kids of Irish extraction are still amongst the better performers.

Trainwreck

I have seen numerous discussions over the years about the relationship between IQ and race and how that in turn affects educational attainment. The discussion tends to proceed along the lines of certain right-wing eugenicist types insisting that there a close link between race and IQ and that this - not discrimination - explains why students from Africa (or of African heritage) don’t perform as well academically as those from other ethnic groups.

Well, that argument is being blown out of the water - at least in the UK - because children from many African countries are now academically outperforming their native white British peers by their mid to late teens. This is happening in cases even when the child’s first language isn’t English.

Of course, home environment counts for a lot and - in my personal experience here in Ireland - African immigrant families bring values of discipline, respect, hard work and a firm sense of ethics that’s rooted (like it or not) in religion - usually Christianity.

One way or another, the white British working class is being left behind in their own country and that’s not good for anyone.

White British children fall behind other ethnicities at school due to lack of parent support | Daily Mail Online

White British pupils 'lag behind ethnic minority peers' - BBC News

This leaves out gender. If you put that in, white boys come out worst.

Yet according to feminist lore, white boys need to be beaten down because of their "privilege".

EoinMag

White English people in a lot of cases suffer from an astonishing entitlement.

It was evident in the BBC program a while back "The foreigners are coming"

They interviewed natives leaving the welfare office, spliff in mouth and can of cider in hand who complained about "johnny foreigner" coming over and taking their jobs.
When told that these people were making good money on picking veg, the work was too hard for them. The polish were earning up to 3-4k a month breaking their asses in the fields paying the dole of the English wasters....so these peoples children under-perform in school?

sondagefaux

True but if I recall correctly, black pupils were amongst the worse performers then. No more.....

I see that kids of Irish extraction are still amongst the better performers.
Except for kids with Irish Traveller backgrounds. The obvious connection between all the groups that do badly is they don't have much respect for education.

Roll_On

Public education in the UK in general leaves a lot to be desired. In Ireland you have some schools that might be 'rough'. In the UK knifes and guns are a real fear some schools have metal detectors. The actual curriculum and standard of teaching is also quite poor in the free schools, illiteracy is rampant, written English is quite poor as is basic understanding of other languages. On maths and science they actually do quite well better than Ireland I would say but overall I think the outcomes are worse.

O

Oscurito

Why can't they do this in Africa and work to make it a better place to live?
I suppose the first challenge in Africa is to provide schools and create the conditions where families are well-off enough to let their kids attend them.

O

Oscurito

Public education in the UK in general leaves a lot to be desired. In Ireland you have some schools that might be 'rough'. In the UK knifes and guns are a real fear some schools have metal detectors. The actual curriculum and standard of teaching is also quite poor in the free schools, illiteracy is rampant, written English is quite poor as is basic understanding of other languages. On maths and science they actually do quite well better than Ireland I would say but overall I think the outcomes are worse.
Not according to PISA....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment#Table

Kershaw

This leaves out gender. If you put that in, white boys come out worst.

Yet according to feminist lore, white boys need to be beaten down because of their "privilege".
A study in Northern Ireland discovered that female teachers marked boys down. Make teachers marked both genders the same.
You wonder what else is going on and how widespread this is, especially considering something like what 80% of primary teachers are women now?

The Bell Curve book argued that human intelligence is substantially influenced by both inherited and environmental factors. The books argued that intelligence was (40% to 80%) heritable and that the "cognitive elite", were becoming separated from those of average and below-average intelligence. I wonder who has more children these days.

Also academic performance is not the direct equivalent of IQ testing. Many schools now have assistants which aid non-English speaking children while non English speakers are not given this extra help. A huge range of factors could be looked at.

We see Pakistanis in the bottom range at this graph while Indians are at the top. Genetically the same except Pakistanis have the highest rate of incest leading to appalling disabilities (More than half of British Pakistanis Marry their First Cousin). Might be an issue with Travellers and Roma too.

petaljam

Except for kids with Irish Traveller backgrounds. The obvious connection between all the groups that do badly is they don't have much respect for education.
The difference between educational attainment among children of Indian origin compared to those of Pakistani origin (and to a much lesser degree) Bangladeshi origin is also telling. That can only be due to cultural differences within those groups, i.e. not to any outside factors such as racism in the school system.

O

Oscurito

White English people in a lot of cases suffer from an astonishing entitlement.

It was evident in the BBC program a while back "The foreigners are coming"

They interviewed natives leaving the welfare office, spliff in mouth and can of cider in hand who complained about "johnny foreigner" coming over and taking their jobs.
When told that these people were making good money on picking veg, the work was too hard for them. The polish were earning up to 3-4k a month breaking their asses in the fields paying the dole of the English wasters....so these peoples children under-perform in school?
It's the old empire complex. And I suppose if you've spent several centuries invading other countries, there'll be that fear that other countries are plotting to return the "compliment".

D

Deleted member 17573

I would suspect a strong link between the figures in the OP and the level of interest taken by the parents in education, and their commitment to their kids education.

cytex

The phenomena is well documented children with bilingual education do better . When this was pointed out with Gaelscoil's we got a ton of arguments that this was not the case .

Polybius

It's the old empire complex. And I suppose if you've spent several centuries invading other countries, there'll be that fear that other countries are plotting to return the "compliment".
Yeah because Poland was part of the British Empire for centuries.

Spanner Island

Is anyone really surprised by this?

Immigrants (genuine immigrants) tend to be diligent and hard working and instill in their children a work ethic and an attitude to be appreciative of their new life and the opportunities it could bring... whereas those who grow up in environments where education is dished out to them (up to third level in some cases) and where they're 'entitled' to everything... and well let's just say there's little appreciation of what they get.

This is evident in the Irish third level education system where drop out rates have mushroomed since fees were abolished while standards have dropped due to the subsequent lack of funds.

freewillie

Never mind the UK. Just check the newspaper reports, particularly local papers, in Ireland and you will invariably see that the winners of student of the year, best leaving results and other school awards are very often sons and daughters of immigrants.
Parents value education and make sure the kids take the opportunities not available in their home countries

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies