• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Africans Don't Rate Bob Geldof so why should we ?

bob3344

Very critical article in the telegraph on Live Aid

It hurts to say this, but Live Aid should not be celebrated. It was a failure. Geldof's approach exemplified the worst about Western ideas of "helping Africa": top-down handouts which ignore, or worsen, the continent's problems.

The real cause of the 1984 Ethiopian famine, and so many other African tragedies, was not cruel nature, but bad government: the country was torn by civil war. That is what stopped food getting through. There is substantial evidence that charitable intervention, Geldof's included, may have prolonged and deepened the conflict, and therefore the catastrophe.

Africans don't rate Bob Geldof, so why should we? - Telegraph

I have a lot more respect for geldof than bono, but I agree with this - you cannot really argue that the aid which has resulted in the doubling of the population of a starving country was well thought out. Pumping endless cash into corrupt or inept regimes is pretty pointless imo.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Cael

I didnt know we did.

The Caped Cod

SIr Bob is a tit, I don't think that surprises anay one.

I'd have to agree. It's almost condescending to Africans the way the likes of Geldof and Bono carry on, and all to make themselves look good.

I remember reading that though Live Aid raised $200 million, this was equivelant to what some African countries were paying back in interest alone on their international debts.

Passionateheart

I know it's a generalisation, but many Africans i have known are very argumentative people and don't rate anything at all! Which might explain some of the massive tribal issues you have in many African countries. They come across like people up in the Jaffa Statelette actually only not as in your face and without the annoying accents and with a hell of a lot more reasons to be angry!
There are some people alive today who would not be without live aid for sure.
OK it's not enough!

bob3344

Geldof can be a complete pain but I always thought of him as sincere, could be wrong.

Bono though, I have always seen as a relentless self-publicist, a complete hypocrite & a typical example of short arse syndrome.

It is clear though that pumping endless cash into africa is probably just prolonging the issues.

The Caped Cod

I know it's a generalisation, but many Africans i have known are very argumentative people and don't rate anything at all! Which might explain some of the massive tribal issues you have in many African countries. They come across like people up in the Jaffa Statelette actually only not as in your face and without the annoying accents and with a hell of a lot more reasons to be angry!
There are some people alive today who would not be without live aid for sure.
OK it's not enough!
Many of those tribal issue come from the ruler-edge straight lines that divide countries (or rather colonies) that went straight through ancient triabl divides. Other issues stem from colonial favouritism likein Rwanda, where the Belgians considered the Tutsis to be superior to the Hutu and so left them in power when they left after years of discrimination agaist the Hutus. This led the Hutus to seek revenge with well known consequences and ironicaly with the help of the French.

Then of course there is plain old tribalism, which still exists, though in slightly different forms, in Ireland.

The Caped Cod

Geldof can be a complete pain but I always thought of him as sincere, could be wrong.

Bono though, I have always seen as a relentless self-publicist, a complete hypocrite & a typical example of short arse syndrome.

It is clear though that pumping endless cash into africa is probably just prolonging the issues.
It depends where they pump it. Were it used to teach people to start there own businesses, increase their crop production etc it could be good, but instead it goes to pay off whatever the African equivelant of Fianna Fail are for natural resources or arms contracts.

bob3344

It depends where they pump it. Were it used to teach people to start there own businesses, increase their crop production etc it could be good, but instead it goes to pay off whatever the African equivelant of Fianna Fail are for natural resources or arms contracts.
Guy wrote this comment on the telegraph page:

The only way to help Africa would be to ban all mineral exports and then force companies to set up in Africa exporting finished goods, made by Africans. Of course the elephant in the room is African culture is corrupt to the core and no ban would work, only people from certain tribes or families would gain work under this scheme - it would end in tribal apartheid.

The fact is western aid has caused a population explosion in Sub-Saharan Africa, this population is unsustainable by African methods, technology and culture. The cruel but kind thing to do would be to pull all aid to Africa and let the population stabilise at a sustainable (by Africans) level. Carrying on as we are means millions and millions of Africans will continue to pour into the west yearly - do we just carry on until the whole world collapses under the strain of the uninhibited third world?

This is the crux of it for me, we cannot simply keep supporting the crazy population explosion in africa.

Ethiopia doubled its population to 70m in 25 years, and is on course to double up again in 30 years or so. These people can never be supported by ethiopias natural resources, but equally, europe will not be able to take that many either.

Aristodemus

I used to pay money every week to the "black babies". I didnt get a knighthood

saoirsegodeo32

i dont rate him and dont know anyone who does the guys a ********************er

The Caped Cod

Guy wrote this comment on the telegraph page:

This is the crux of it for me, we cannot simply keep supporting the crazy population explosion in africa.

Ethiopia doubled its population to 70m in 25 years, and is on course to double up again in 30 years or so. These people can never be supported by ethiopias natural resources, but equally, europe will not be able to take that many either.
You realise that the "population explosion" is due to less people dying right? That very close to Myers Africa gives nothing to anyone...except AIDS.

There's no doubting that the vast majority of African leaders are corrupt, but at the same time the are corrupted by western countries operating neo colonial policies, such as France, the US and Britain but also by huge corporations who prefer the "lack of regualtion" there. The have the money to put their man in power and so obviously tht man is always goin to be corrupt.

That said, it still provides no solution. Isolating Africa is rather enfantilising and probably not possible and how do you legislate for what an international company can do in a different sovereign state.
Personall I think the key is education. An educated population has a better chance of sorting out it's own problems. Mind you, it didn't do too much good here...

Munnkeyman

I don't rate Sir Bobby Gandalf.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwzDyQRARE0]YouTube - Russell Brand v Sir Bobby Gandalf - NME Awards 2006[/ame]

Goldencircle

TEN alps, a PR agency whose main clients are the UK Foreign Office, BP, Volvo, Ford and JP Morgan (all of whom are being sued for reparations by Africans, for the damage they have caused as a direct result of their business operations in Africa, and their supprt for South Africa's Apartheid regime in particular) as well as EMI, Disney, L'Oreal, FHM and many other similar corporations.

His TV media company, another business, makes Teachers TV for the UK government, and propaganda-as-documentaries for UK, Isreali and Us Governments

His position is a clear conflict of interest, as his clients are involved as causative factors in the problems in Africa.

Il get a few links now.

bob3344

Personall I think the key is education. An educated population has a better chance of sorting out it's own problems. Mind you, it didn't do too much good here...
Every educated african gets on a plane & heads for europe or the US.

The stuff about corruption being caused by western companies doesn't wash. They are still operating on tribal lines over there - whoever gets into power keeps the army sweet & sticks his extended family into positions of power regardless of their talents. Corruption & general ineptitude are inevitable.

The guilt trip won't work on the chinese in 100 years time, thats for sure.

controller

I seem to recall reading that "Band Did", was by Midge Ure and with help from Geldof. I also seem to recall that, (though I'm less sure of this) that Live Aid was the same,but somehow Geldof gets all the kudos for both. Anyone............

The Caped Cod

It's about the most vile piece of misinformation I've ever read. He doesn't pose any of the valid questions that the OP here did he simply slides into his comfortable racist stereotype about the black men who just want to f*ck because of the base nature. Everything is twisted beyond recognition in that article, it is extremely dishonest.