After Election losses The DUP loses the veto power it keeps using against same sex marriage!!

USER1234

NI Election: DUP loses 'petition of concern' power opening door for gay marriage - Sinn Fein slashes lead to one seat

The DUP has lost the power to trigger a controversial Stormont veto mechanism that blocked the introduction of same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland.

Tabling a "petition of concern" means a proposal before the Assembly can only be carried with the support of a majority of both nationalist and unionist members, rather than a straight head count.

A valid petition requires the signature of 30 Assembly members. In the previous mandate the DUP, with 38 seats, was the only party that could table one on its own.

That handed it an effective veto on a range of issues, including proposals to lift the region's ban on gay marriage.

Emerging from the election with 28 seats, the DUP has lost what had been a key legislative tool.

With the Assembly being reduced from 108 to 90 seats, the DUP was always in line to lose some seats in the poll.

Many viewed the crucial 30-seat mark as the DUP's dividing line between a successful or failed election.

Jim Allister, the Assembly's sole Traditional Unionist Voice (TUV) MLA, has indicated his willingness to sign any petition that would block changes to marriage or abortion laws.

That would still leave the DUP one signature short of the crucial 30 and relying on support from elsewhere in the chamber.
Source: NI Election: DUP loses 'petition of concern' power opening door for gay marriage - Sinn Fein slashes lead to one seat - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

My Comments:

1) This is great news!

2) Im sure the DUP will try every trick in the book to i) stop gay marriage ii) get there veto back

3) As the article says the issue could be rendered moot if the Stormont's parties fail to form another powersharing executive in post-election negotiations and direct rule from Westminster is reintroduced by the Brithish Government!

Catalpast

Source: NI Election: DUP loses 'petition of concern' power opening door for gay marriage - Sinn Fein slashes lead to one seat - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

My Comments:

1) This is great news!

2) Im sure the DUP will try every trick in the book to i) stop gay marriage ii) get there veto back

3) As the article says the issue could be rendered moot if the Stormont's parties fail to form another powersharing executive in post-election negotiations and direct rule from Westminster is reintroduced by the Brithish Government!
er you do release there is no such thing as 'Gay Marriage'?

Howandever surely the people up North should have the same right as the People down South

- to decide on this 1?

Marcella

In reality they need just two other unionist MLAs to side with them and it'll go nowhere. Jim Allister is one, I'm sure they're others. Gay marriage is a way off yet. But good to see the DUP put in their place.

ScoobyDoo

My Comments:

1) This is great news!

A month ago Arlene said she was happy to get rid of the petition of concern, but Shinners said No.

SF won't be happy now DUP lost their veto because they will have less to whinge about

Aristodemus

Of course, all the other members are liberals and can't wait to endorse gay marriage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USER1234

er you do release there is no such thing as 'Gay Marriage'?

Howandever surely the people up North should have the same right as the People down South

- to decide on this 1?
1) Both Ireland & the UK disagree with you

2) it don't work that way!

Gay marriage is legal in the UK (brought in through parliament) because of northern Ireland's unusual circumstances it is the only part of the UK which you cannot be a same sex couple and get married you can marry in any other part of the UK but if you go to N.I. it automatically become civil partnership thats B.S.

3) the DUP vetoing it before it can even get a vote in the northern ireland assembly is disgraceful

Last edited:

cut the begs

full civil rights for women to control their own bodies is more important than gay marriage,seeing that lord.lol.morrow was chased its time for abortion and prostitutes rights to be to the fore.

belfast1981

In reality they need just two other unionist MLAs to side with them and it'll go nowhere. Jim Allister is one, I'm sure they're others. Gay marriage is a way off yet. But good to see the DUP put in their place.
Pretty much this. If UUP vote on 'conscious' there are a few who would vote against. TUV would deff support it, so there is your 30 still. The only thing they have lost is the ability to automatically make up the 30 with the party whip. It only takes 2 from the remaining 62 MLAs to be against it, and it will be blocked again.

I do still think it is time for a referendum on it though. Put it to the people and let them decide.

hollandia

Pretty much this. If UUP vote on 'conscious' there are a few who would vote against. TUV would deff support it, so there is your 30 still. The only thing they have lost is the ability to automatically make up the 30 with the party whip. It only takes 2 from the remaining 62 MLAs to be against it, and it will be blocked again.

I do still think it is time for a referendum on it though. Put it to the people and let them decide.
I think we all need to recognise the difference between a poc and a vote. It's feasible for a unionist to vote against ssm but not sign a poc.

USER1234

I don't think they can have a referendum,

1) is there a system to allow them to have a referendum on an issue like this?
2) even if there is, gay marriage is already established U.K. Law

it's only the Norths special circumstances that have allowed them to get away with not having it so far, either the assembly votes for it or a judge will impose it (a case is already underway)

Sooner or later Northern Ireland will join the rest of the uk in the 21st century on this issue!

Last edited:

theloner

There shouldn't be a referendum on gay marriage. It should be a given, although saying that I reckon even Our Wee C*ntry would vote 'yes'. Even indefatigable unionists are queer and Catholic churches these days resemble a Thursday night away game at Wrexham. In the rain.

Glaucon

This isn't a priority issue given the others facing NI (Brexit, the past, community relations, etc.)

That said, most Unionist MLAs are still against it so they can block it. As the Unionist electorate voted in large numbers for the DUP (and there are still plenty of anti-gay marriage UUPers), one can only assume that they're still against it, unlike Nationalists and Alliance/Green voters.

Mickeymac

In the UK referendums are few and far between and held on constitutional matters.

Oh Boy:D

Have you any idea pal the reason why Cameron put forward a referendum on EU membership?

You appear to be somewhat naive on this politics stuff.

rainmaker

Administrator
Oh Boy:D

Have you any idea pal the reason why Cameron put forward a referendum on EU membership?

You appear to be somewhat naive on this politics stuff.
His reasons for calling it are irrelevant - he was able to call a referendum because EU membership is a constitutional matter.

I think there have only been four referendums in the entire history of the UK, two of them were related to EU membership and a third was a rejected proposal to switch to a form of the PR voting system.

A referendum on anything to do with marriage is not happening.

Mickeymac

His reasons for calling it are irrelevant - he was able to call a referendum because EU membership is a constitutional matter.

I think there have only been four referendums in the entire history of the UK, two of them were related to EU membership and a third was a rejected proposal to switch to a form of the PR voting system.

A referendum on anything to do with marriage is not happening.

Cameron called the referendum to save himself from being dismissed by his far right, he was certainly not acting in the interests of the people of England/Scotland/Wales....that makes his actions very relevant as for marriage referendums, I did not mention them....got it now pal?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies