AFTERSHOCK : GHOST LAND now up on RTE player....but only for 2 days!

constitutionus

just like the thread title says.

i know i wasnt the only one that didnt see this as i'd intended to watch it on the player only to find out that due to "copyright issues" we couldnt see it.

whether that was bollocks or not its up now. but the date to be taken down is the 16th may so get a look in while ya can !

The Underdog

just like the thread title says.

i know i wasnt the only one that didnt see this as i'd intended to watch it on the player only to find out that due to "copyright issues" we couldnt see it.

whether that was bollocks or not its up now. but the date to be taken down is the 16th may so get a look in while ya can !
Cheers, nice one, fair play to you.

darkknight

Thanks for the alert.
I hadn't seen it.

Shocking.
Heartbreaking.
Infuriating.

I notice the closing music is Bob Dylan's song 'Disease of Conceit' (so apt!!).

There’s a whole lot of people suffering tonight
From the disease of conceit
Whole lot of people struggling tonight
Comes right down the highway
Straight down the line
Rips into your senses
Through your body and your mind
Nothing about it that’s sweet
The disease of conceit

There’s a whole lot of hearts breaking tonight
Whole lot of hearts shaking tonight
Steps into your room
Eats your soul
Over your senses
You have no control
Ain’t nothing too discreet
About the disease of conceit

There’s a whole lot of people dying tonight
Whole lot of people crying tonight
Comes right out of nowhere
And you’re down for the count
From the outside world
The pressure will mount
Turn you into a piece of meat
The disease of conceit

Conceit is a disease
That the doctors got no cure
They’ve done a lot of research on it
But what it is, they’re still not sure

There’s a whole lot of people in trouble tonight
Whole lot of people seeing double tonight
Give ya delusions of grandeur
And a evil eye
Give you the idea that
You’re too good to die
Then they bury you from your head to your feet

How the greedy politicians, bankers, developers, planners, councillors, etc., responsible for this mess can possibly sleep at night is beyond me.

They have torn people's lives apart.
Young couples and their kids left hopeless, desperate, stressed out, dreams destroyed.

And the culprits can't even get their act together at this late stage to offer some kind of remedy.

borntorum

I can't believe there hasn't been an FFPravda remark yet

constitutionus

probably because its actually quite scathing at FF for once.

the mixing of audio statements from certain FF Tds with pics of derilict houses slowly falling apart was VERY well done.

still for some reason pravda is taking it down on sunday while we get the pleasure of the business's " we own london, aint it great !" programe till the 31st of may.

on the program its mad to think in the 21st century theres people out there right now with no street lighting and sewage pooling on the roads.

i grew up in a fairly rough area but even at its worst we had functional sewers !

EDIT.

was just looking at it again. sen donnie cassidys "unbelievable value" statement in 08 looks REALLY bad in this :) :) :)

Last edited:

danger here

I still can't see it "restricted to another territory".Can anyone youtube it?

SKELLY

This is a disgrace!
Can someone youtube this before FF make it disappear of the face of the earth.

Mitsui2

Not only that but they repeated it on tv last night (I think it was). They did it quite quietly, though.

Schuhart

the mixing of audio statements from certain FF Tds with pics of derilict houses slowly falling apart was VERY well done.
I agree, and its an excellent programme. I mean, it very effectively displays the views of the people living in those half finished estates.

But I do have a criticism of it. I don't like the way it lets the theme of demolition take over as the solution. In particular, one of those Sligo IT sociology students comes out with an economically incoherent statement about wanting demolition so that her taxes won't go into them. If the estates are demolished, and not sold, then her taxes will be hit even more.

We're being mentally prepared for demolition before any serious attempt has been made to sell these houses. They will obviously sell for far, far less than the few residents paid for theirs. But there is no reason to talk of demolition at the present.

There is a need to talk of selling the houses for what they are worth. Maybe that means €20,000 for a house in Leitrim, €40,000 for a house in Longford and €60,000 for a house in Belmayne. But they should be sold.

loner

Saw the programme last night---if this happened in a third world country or a banana republic we would be asking questions --but it happened here. Interesting in a day when the Taoiseach was hitting the airwaves about his lack of knowledge about what was happening in this economy during those years---according to him no one, economists or journalists or the Opposition were asking any questions and no advisors were raising questions--strange little country.

constitutionus

Not only that but they repeated it on tv last night (I think it was). They did it quite quietly, though.

i noticed that too.

just stumble upon it as it was about to start. im glad i got to see it on TV too as while streaming is all well and good it can feck up your eyes sometimes.

great to see lads like SKELLY taking the initiative to ensure what happened to FUTURESHOCK: property crash doesnt happen to AFTERSHOCK. the tax payer has paid for these shows, they shouldnt just be allowed to be buried because someone in editorial has been leaned on.

cowan trying to deny anyone highlighted how things were going looks very hollow when you hear some of the quotes on this programme. particularly as futrue shock was in 06 and roundly criticised in the press !

on an aside there was a bit towards the end where a small developer was showing prospective buyers his houses that he'd slashed 50% off of.

is it just me or was the show house he was bringing them around the same house that "won" an episode of RTEs other programe "showhouse" ?

i'd swear the panneling effect in the front room and decor matched one of their episodes.

kinda sad when ya think about it, and would explain how RTE got him to come on (being a prior contact) .

hammer

And then we had the eternal optimists on the LLS last night.

I think we`ve turned that corner now so if we can stomach higher taxes, lower pay and higher mortgage costs and lower childrens allowances etc. we should be ok.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies