Aftershock, Ghost Land, slum estates.

Tomas Mor

RTE showing rivetting programme now on ghost estates. Most laughable of all was quote from Cowen saying as Minister for Finance that no problem existed. And that fool with the wig, Donie Cassidy quoted in Senate two years ago as saying that houses represented "incredibly good value". I think he had property in Mullingar! Sad for people who are caught up in this. Houses in Longford sold as good value for commuting to Dublin !

And the funny thing is that FF clowns in Westmeath will elect that muppet Donie Cassidy as a TD in the next GE.

Those poor people in Longford are up to their necks in debt and sh#ite too it seems.

TommyO'Brien

It is a shocking programme. Those of us lucky enough not to be living in ghost estates don't realise the practical horrors facing those living in those estates face.

Full marks to RTÉ on that programme. It is superb.

alonso

The real legacy of Bertie Ahern and his cabal, his Ballybrit buddies, his dig out mates and all the hangers on of the Celtic Tiger overblown nonsense. The true miserable legacy. The disgusting abuse of the planning process by a bunch of auctioneers/developers/estate agents/ landowner/councillors cavemen against all advice of professionals, against all tenets of best practice, against all common sense.

If any single elected representative from any party who promoted these rezonings can watch this and not well up with guilt, shame and regret they lack even the most basic features of humanity.

Still, no matter how many of these programs air, we will never ever get an idea of what has happened to our country unless we end up in one of these places.

alonso

Can anyone really oppose the bulldozer as part of the solution having watched this?

Tomas Mor

Already I can this programme on RTE being an award winning one, and I hope it is circulated internationally. Meanwhile we have NAMA and Anglo.

TommyO'Brien

Already I can this programme on RTE being an award winning one, and I hope it is circulated internationally. Meanwhile we have NAMA and Anglo.
I agree. If this is typical of the series of programmes in 'Aftershock' then they will be 'must watch' television.

GabhaDubh

The real legacy of Bertie Ahern and his cabal, his Ballybrit buddies, his dig out mates and all the hangers on of the Celtic Tiger overblown nonsense. The true miserable legacy. The disgusting abuse of the planning process by a bunch of auctioneers/developers/estate agents/ landowner/councillors cavemen against all advice of professionals, against all tenets of best practice, against all common sense.

If any single elected representative from any party who promoted these rezonings can watch this and not well up with guilt, shame and regret they lack even the most basic features of humanity.

Still, no matter how many of these programs air, we will never ever get an idea of what has happened to our country unless we end up in one of these places.
+1 Excellent post.

GabhaDubh

Can anyone really oppose the bulldozer as part of the solution having watched this?
Selective or strategic use of the bulldozer may be the plan i.e. solidify loyal developers.

TommyO'Brien

An extraordinary programme. A credit to RTÉ. It pulled no punches.

It left me so angry at the mess the country has been left in. What makes me even angrier is that the man whose economic policies contributed significantly to the crisis, Cowen, is still in office and still in denial, still trying to blame someone else.

That programme should be a "must watch" for every Irish person. Some people belong in jail over what they did. It was nothing less than national sabotage.

Stroke

I'd support a scheme to help people abandon the houses in these ghost estates so that they can be knocked down, and give those who were conned into buying them a second chance. We supported the people who had to abandon the Blaskets, why not the ghost estates....?

alonso

I only saw the last 15 minutes but I am fairly close to this issue professionally.

But to take off the planning hat, all I can think of is the gaping chasm between Dail Eireann, the Council Chambers and the real people of Ireland and the lives some have ended up in as a result of doing one simple thing - believing their politicians. Believing in the likes of Ahern, Cowen, Lenihan and Donie Cassidy.

Behind all the billions, behind all the high-falutin talk of default, bailouts, NAMA, long term economic value etc etc lie thousands of human stories. Human stories that not one single politician seems to give a ******************** about. Not a ******************************g jot. Just like the chap at the end said- sittin in there in LH talking sh1te about who did what and who didn't. He wants answers. He want solutions. And not one of them has actually grasped the nettle.

I want an election. Not necessarily to elect the opposition, not necessarily to simply change government but to give the victims of fianna Fail a voice, an opportunity to scream their ******************************g hearts out at those that put them where they are and make them fully accountable for their actions.

I want a forum that will reshape and redefine Irish politics, Irish culture and Irish society so that the type of caveman gombeen bastard that did this to my country and my compatriots never ever in my lifetime gets within an asses roar of power ever again.

alonso

Selective or strategic use of the bulldozer may be the plan i.e. solidify loyal developers.
Take the people out of the ********************holes on the edges of every town, raze the houses to the ground and put the people into places like Belmayne. Back in Dublin where they always wanted to be anyway. Fck the developers.

owedtojoy

RTE showing rivetting programme now on ghost estates. Most laughable of all was quote from Cowen saying as Minister for Finance that no problem existed. And that fool with the wig, Donie Cassidy quoted in Senate two years ago as saying that houses represented "incredibly good value". I think he had property in Mullingar! Sad for people who are caught up in this. Houses in Longford sold as good value for commuting to Dublin !
I saw a bit of this about the handful of families living on an estate in Longford where the septic tanks don't work, and the kids play is dangerous, half-built houses.

There will have to be a scheme to consolidate people nearer to towns, and demolish run-down estates. Of course, there will be no money to do that, but plenty to bail out the banks!

Yosser

How many years too late is this series of programmes? RTE is as culpable as anyone. Depressing.

Civic_critic2

RTÉ are a bunch of populist carpetbaggers. Prostitutes.

The ground is being set to make it acceptable in the public mind to demolish perfectly good homes.

Tomas Mor

On a programme last November, I think it was Frontline, an unfortunate girl was complaining that her apartment in Kildare was built on a flood plain and was swamped.She had invested in it to get a roof over her head Irish style. Name of estate was " Waterways". Our estreemed Minister for Environment John Gormley was on it also, and what did he say to her- she should have known better than to buy in an estate with a name like that ! Can anyone beat that, apart from Donie Cassidy maybe.

True Republican

Look yes FF behaved abominably during the boom allowing the property boom to go unchecked, however an awful lot of Irish people got far too greedy for their own good as well regarding property, oh yeah lets buy a €250k one bedroomed apartment.

neiphin

pity no quotes from eddie hobbit

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies