• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Age Old Rip Off Continues Unabated!

General Urko

I didn't know what section to place this in but it is an ongoing rip off of longstanding, so I placed it here.
I bought the Champion's league final programme the other day in one of our most well known newsagents. The cover price was 10£ as it was published in Britain, I was charged €14.43. Which in nominal terms is 44.3% higher!
Now there has been a claim by this newsagent in the past that they buy their sterling in bulk twice a year so changes in sterling difference are never really passed on (well if you have a currency buyer that does not take advantage of good rates then surely that individual is in the wrong job!). However leaving that aside we seem to be paying our own VAT rate on top of the British one when under EU law we should only be liable for the difference as we already have paid the rest of the VAT in a member state!
My question is when will this obscene rip off end?

IbrahaimMohamad

I didn't know what section to place this in but it is an ongoing rip off of longstanding, so I placed it here.
I bought the Champion's league final programme the other day in one of our most well known newsagents. The cover price was 10£ as it was published in Britain, I was charged €14.43. Which in nominal terms is 44.3% higher!
Now there has been a claim by this newsagent in the past that they buy their sterling in bulk twice a year so changes in sterling difference are never really passed on (well if you have a currency buyer that does not take advantage of good rates then surely that individual is in the wrong job!). However leaving that aside we seem to be paying our own VAT rate on top of the British one when under EU law we should only be liable for the difference as we already have paid the rest of the VAT in a member state!
Would the same principle not apply to imported used cars?

highgiant

when people like you stop buying them...

Frankly you're wasting your time coming on here to complain after the event. What you should have done is voted with your feet and walked away.

General Urko

Would the same principle not apply to imported used cars?
As far as I know our Governments have negotiated a special scam with the EU to inflict the VRT on us!

General Urko

Sorry I should have said negotiated 'A special exemption' as our government don't do scams and nor do the EU!:oops:

Clanrickard

Frankly you're wasting your time coming on here to complain after the event. What you should have done is voted with your feet and walked away.
I did just that at Dublin Airport. Foreign Affairs magazine costs 9.99 pounds and they were demanding 15.99 euro iirc. I put it back on the shelf.

General Urko

If it was even possible to buy it in another newsagent, it would probably be more expensive, I have noticed this pattern before!

IbrahaimMohamad

As far as I know our Governments have negotiated a special scam with the EU to inflict the VRT on us!
They also inflict VAT onto imported used cars on which the Vat has already been paid in the UK

Translation takes account of minimum of €2, cost of shipping and additional handing in sending to a wholesaler in Ireland who then has to break it down in smaller quantities to send to a shop adds probably another €1.25, VAT and margin the rest.

General Urko

Translation takes account of minimum of €2, cost of shipping and additional handing in sending to a wholesaler in Ireland who then has to break it down in smaller quantities to send to a shop adds probably another €1.25, VAT and margin the rest.
And of course the minimum wage, which they pay to their employees is also higher than in the UK! So it could be the hardworking employees' fault!

Nope but when you add in the costs associated with getting it to the retailer then be not surprised that the retailer makes the same % margin as in the UK.

General Urko

Nope but when you add in the costs associated with getting it to the retailer then be not surprised that the retailer makes the same % margin as in the UK.
If that's the case, you may have exposed a bigger scam in that the "Middle Man" in Irish retailing seems to be doing extraordinary well on every body's behinds!

If that's the case, you may have exposed a bigger scam in that the "Middle Man" in Irish retailing seems to be doing extraordinary well on every body's behinds!
In supply chain every time you handle something then expect it to add 5% minimum to the cost..................every middleman wishes to make a margin.

As an example publisher publishes it and send to 2-3 major distributors who send into WH Smith etc Supply chain as full pallet bulk delivery, now a smallish wholesaler (A) will take items for export so they will get maybe half a pallet (cost in breaking it down to that) plus price to them v WH Smith would be different. A will split what he has down at a cost to him and forward on to numerous places so to smallish wholesaler covering Ireland (B), B gets it in and splits in down further and sends to your local shop. Now you see where it is all going.

gijoe

Sorry I should have said negotiated 'A special exemption' as our government don't do scams and nor do the EU!:oops:
Did they threaten to take the interwoggie away from you unless you corrected your vile lies?? :)

General Urko

Did they threaten to take the interwoggie away from you unless you corrected your vile lies?? :)
The EU is such a corrupt institution that now that when a certain number of citizens sign a petition and the matter they have signed to then has to be debated in the EU parliament, the EU has deliberately excluded from this, one pressing topic, which there would be no problem getting the threshold numbers for i.e. its own abolition!

General Urko

Oh sorry again, I should have said 'Anti-Democratic'!:cool:

sic transit

IIRC the likes of Easons sets prices for six months at a time. The simplest solution as posted earlier is don't buy or get a subscription if you like it that much.

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
Still better than buying it on line. Sterling£16.95.

richie268

In a dead fancy shop around the corner from Fleet st in London they sell a cup of coffee for £3.95 and a fancy sambo for £ 7.35 nobody complains about this obvious rip off in the letter pages of the Newspapers because of the local economy and plus the fact that the more ink that is wasted in their employment the less ink they can rob.
It is called the law of adjustment.

opinions

In supply chain every time you handle something then expect it to add 5% minimum to the cost..................every middleman wishes to make a margin.

As an example publisher publishes it and send to 2-3 major distributors who send into WH Smith etc Supply chain as full pallet bulk delivery, now a smallish wholesaler (A) will take items for export so they will get maybe half a pallet (cost in breaking it down to that) plus price to them v WH Smith would be different. A will split what he has down at a cost to him and forward on to numerous places so to smallish wholesaler covering Ireland (B), B gets it in and splits in down further and sends to your local shop. Now you see where it is all going.
It seems our drug dealers are also implementing this scam. Maybe thats where the Mag flogers got their idea!

Popular Threads

Most Replies