• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Agreed unionist candidate for Mid Ulster by election

Mattarigna

InsideImDancing

This is all about Fermanagh/Tyrone. Seems like Unionist Unity candidates is the way to go from here on in. I think I may die of the shock!

This is good for Nationalism in the long run; Let them entrench themselves in "Protestant Ulster", it really is the best they can do.

devonish

Why did the UUP seriously not pick Basil McCrea as leader?
Good question, the UUP is in serious trouble with pressure from Alliance on one side and from the DUP on the other. The number of decent honourable politicians who have jumped ship is getting beyond a joke - Sylvia Hermon, David McClarty and now John McCallister, I'm sure Basil McCrea is not far behind him. UUP should merge with DUP and those more liberal minded establish a new party. McCallister is scathing of Nesbitt's leadership in his resignation letter and quite rightly so.

theloner

Why did the UUP seriously not pick Basil McCrea as leader?
Breaking news: BBC News - John McCallister resigns from the UUP

In a letter to Mr Nesbitt, Mr McCallister said he had first voted for the UUP in 1992, because of the party's values and had "no interest in supporting other narrow expressions of unionism, committed as they were to confrontation and triumphalism".

between the bridges

This is all about Fermanagh/Tyrone. Seems like Unionist Unity candidates is the way to go from here on in. I think I may die of the shock!

This is good for Nationalism in the long run; Let them entrench themselves in "Protestant Ulster", it really is the best they can do.
Suppose i will have to give up baiting ye lot on here when i get the job...

Mattarigna

Good question, the UUP is in serious trouble with pressure from Alliance on one side and from the DUP on the other. The number of decent honourable politicians who have jumped ship is getting beyond a joke - Sylvia Hermon, David McClarty and now John McCallister, I'm sure Basil McCrea is not far behind him. UUP should merge with DUP and those more liberal minded establish a new party. McCallister is scathing of Nesbitt's leadership in his resignation letter and quite rightly so.
TBH, the smartest thing for Unionists to do is to pick moderate leaders like Basil McCrea, do stuff to give the Irish cultural presence significance in NI and stress that one can be Irish and British. That's what I'd do if I were them - but then, I am actually not a Unionist, so obviously, they cannot see what appears to me to be prefectly logical.

between the bridges

TBH, the smartest thing for Unionists to do is to pick moderate leaders like Basil McCrea, do stuff to give the Irish cultural presence significance in NI and stress that one can be Irish and British. That's what I'd do if I were them - but then, I am actually not a Unionist, so obviously, they cannot see what appears to me to be prefectly logical.
Are you sitting down matt? i agree with you...

C

Castle Ray

Lutton's father was murdered by the IRA and David Simpson (MP for Upper Bann) used parliamentary privilege a while ago to implicate Molloy in the murder and to claim Molloy was a security force informer. It seems this choice of candidate is designed not necessarily to win the election (unioinist vote combines at around only 30%) but to expose Molloy, pore scorn on collusion allegations being a loyalist issue, and discredit SF. Whether that'll happen or to what extent that might happen can't be known now, but Nesbitt chose to lose 2 MLAs in order for such small reward is bewildering.

Mattarigna

Are you sitting down matt? i agree with you...
However, if Unionists are so insecure that any expression of Irishness, or (more recently) reducing the days the UK flag flying over a building, is seen as an attack on their identity, they will never do any Irish cultural promotion policies in a 100 years. Look at the opposition to the Irish language, for instance.

Basil McCrea will be First Minister of NI before it happens.

C

Castle Ray

I agree to an extent. It isn't the smartest thing to do, but the right thing to do. This sectarian entrenchment that we're seeing only creates them and us with no room for overlap. It suits DUP and it suits SF. But nobody else benefits except those parties. How can such circling of wagons benefit people in NI?

Mattarigna

If anyone doubts my post at #12, remember when Willie complained that the "Irish" on his passport undermined his Britishness, and was beginning to start a campaign.....until informed that the Gaelic on his passport was actually SCOTTISH gaelic....

Sooner or later, officialdom in NI will have to recognise the inherently Irish aspects of the North, in terms of cultural equality and promotion.

C

Castle Ray

If anyone doubts my post at #12, remember when Willie complained that the "Irish" on his passport undermined his Britishness, and was beginning to start a campaign.....until informed that the Gaelic on his passport was actually SCOTTISH gaelic....

Sooner or later, officialdom in NI will have to recognise the inherently Irish aspects of the North, in terms of cultural equality and promotion.
Who is Willie and what Gaelic is on which passport??

Mattarigna

I agree to an extent. It isn't the smartest thing to do, but the right thing to do. This sectarian entrenchment that we're seeing only creates them and us with no room for overlap. It suits DUP and it suits SF. But nobody else benefits except those parties. How can such circling of wagons benefit people in NI?
Agreed. I know you do not at all identify with me, but I would take interest in how NI develops, and whether part of the UK or a UI, my primary interest in the short to medium term is in trying to get the huge potential of NI realised.

And btw, if my suggestions are not the smartest things to do, what are?

between the bridges

However, if Unionists are so insecure that any expression of Irishness, or (more recently) reducing the days the UK flag flying over a building, is seen as an attack on their identity, they will never do any Irish cultural promotion policies in a 100 years. Look at the opposition to the Irish language, for instance.

Basil McCrea will be First Minister of NI before it happens.

Before you pat your self on the back, the so called disso's are from your community last i heard they where still waging war against British identity... as for the fleg ironic that you bemoan unionists lack of embracing an Irish identity yet at the same time don't expect nationalists to embrace a British identity... hypocrite...

C

Castle Ray

Agreed. I know you do not at all identify with me, but I would take interest in how NI develops, and whether part of the UK or a UI, my primary interest in the short to medium term is in trying to get the huge potential of NI realised.

And btw, if my suggestions are not the smartest things to do, what are?
It is not that it is or isn't smart, simply that it is the right thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

Mattarigna

Who is Willie and what Gaelic is on which passport??
Willie Frazer - one of the nuts supporting the "fleg" protests and who wanted to stand in the seat which the thread we are on is MEANT to be discussing.

The new British passports nowadays are trilingual - they are in English, Welsh and Scottish/Scotish gaelic.
There are various Gaelic languages, which includes the Irish and Scottish languages, and those two are very similar especially. So similar that, to someone without a decent knowledge of Gaelic languages, it can be easy to get them mixed up when you see them in writing. And that's what Willie did - he made a big fuss about a Gaelic language being on his passport simply because he thought it was Irish, which, apperently, undermined his Britishness. He has no problem with Welsh or Scottish, but Irish, which is closely related to the other two, he takes issue with.

Mattarigna

It is not that it is or isn't smart, simply that it is the right thing to do as far as I'm concerned.
Glad you agree. Pity your politicians don't see it that way. And pity the Nationalist leaders on this island are not better than they are.