• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

AGSI Facing Criminal Proceedings ; GRA 'Losing Control' of Members

Sierra

It has come to light that the head of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors, John Redmond, is facing legal action should he continue to represent his members through protesting against the governments plans to introduce Croke Park 2. The head of the Garda Representative Association, PJ Stone, has also stated that he feels that he is no longer able to control the actions of his members. He is making it quite clear that a major escalation of industrial action is on the cards, and this is something which will be orchestrated through the rank and file itself rather than through the established representative associations.

Relations between An Garda Síochána and the government have never been so tense, and the attitude of Minister Shatter is making matters worse. It seems that the Gardai are on a collision course with the government.

AGSI boss 'faces criminal investigation' if he continues protest

The head of the Garda Representative Association has said he fears losing control of the anger of rank-and-file members.

Meanwhile, a Garda Sergeant has revealed he faces a criminal investigation for his role in the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors.
GRA protest at the Dáil over cuts to pay

Gardai protest outside Dail against pay cuts

"At the end of the day, you can only push people so far," he said, "and if you isolate people to the extent that they feel that nobody cares or that nobody's listening, well then sometimes you lose control. I hope that doesn't happen," he added.
Meanwhile, Gardai throughout the country are continuing to meet and demand for an orchestrated campaign of industrial unrest.

drummed

They have little enough to be complaing about with their 157 special allowances and such. Touch of reality needs to dawn on them i think.

edifice.

It has come to light that the head of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors, John Redmond, is facing legal action should he continue to represent his members through protesting against the governments plans to introduce Croke Park 2. The head of the Garda Representative Association, PJ Stone, has also stated that he feels that he is no longer able to control the actions of his members. He is making it quite clear that a major escalation of industrial action is on the cards, and this is something which will be orchestrated through the rank and file itself rather than through the established representative associations.

Relations between An Garda Síochána and the government have never been so tense, and the attitude of Minister Shatter is making matters worse. It seems that the Gardai are on a collision course with the government.

Meanwhile, Gardai throughout the country are continuing to meet and demand for an orchestrated campaign of industrial unrest.
What such workers need to recognise is that they are dealing with people who are financially insulated from the current, or any future, crisis. Shatter et al have nothing to lose, nothing!

Ryan Tubbs

Any Garda who even remotely threatens to engage in political campaigning against the Government should be prosecuted and dismissed from the Gardai. Just think how serious that is if it was tolerated even for a second.

This would have one great knock-on effect: it would free up some money to re-open Templemore ahead of schedule.

corelli

I am firmly of the view that a few of them need making examples of. Prosecuted and dismissed, if warranted.

They really do live in cloud cookoo land.

Sierra

They have little enough to be complaing about with their 157 special allowances and such. Touch of reality needs to dawn on them i think.
The question is as to whether this is all bluster from the representative bodies, or as to whether there is indeed something fermenting behind the scenes.

From what I have been hearing, there is a massive amount of disillusionment in the force. Some have been saying that this disillusionment is now turning into outright anger, especially amongst the younger generation of the force who now makes up a massive proportion of the entire force.

Industrial action is already ongoing in the form of non-cooperation. The government should probably tread carefully.

daveL

Any Garda who even remotely threatens to engage in political campaigning against the Government should be prosecuted and dismissed from the Gardai. Just think how serious that is if it was tolerated even for a second.

This would have one great knock-on effect: it would free up some money to re-open Templemore ahead of schedule.
of course it will be tolerated

edifice.

And what if it's for the Government?

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Redmond at least seems to be facing up to the consequences of his actions, but Stone should too in my opinion. The GRA, not the AGSI, has been most vocal over the years in urging action that is clearly contrary to the rules that govern Garda behaviour. Whether those rules are being broken or Gards are being urged to break them, its same same clique of clench fisted diehards behind it all the time, not the rank and file Garda who still command a good degree of respect from the public.

The poster 'Drummed' is right, the Garda have nothing to complain about, but that reality does not suit the high flying hysteria of the GRA and AGSI heads. Listening to them you would swear are Gards were expected to partol downtown Mogadishu on $1 a day, with only inflatalbe novelty hammers to protect themselves.

In the end the Garda force is the force of the State, not the unions, and must be treated and respected as such. All the AGSI and GRA have done is invite distain on a uniform that perhaps some of them should not be wearing. Its our force for law and order, and if some don't like or realise that, then they should find another job. Simples.

firefly123

I can see this thread has already attracted the "sack em all" brigade. The last thing that we need is such an approach. It will end in tears for both sides.
I am pretty stunned at the cack handed approach taken by the Government relating to the Garda. Of all the organisations you need to have onside when trying to push through reform and changes it is the police.

There are some genuine grievances here that need to be addressed in a grown up fashion. The younger members of the Garda have all the same problems that most young people (or at least those in the 30-40 bracket) have. They probably have a big mortgage on a small house. They might even have a second property (for some reason certain posters here will use this as some form of victorious statement as if noone else in the state other than garda own a buy to let). They are struggling and are working under conditions that most people would run a mile from. They see zero support from the state. They are left swinging in court when some clever brief gets a scumbag off on a technicality.

Now I can already imagine what many posters will say....
"Well thats their tough", "Lucky to have a job", "If they don't like it. Quit and get a job in the real world*"
....And they have a point but really it is not very constructive is it?

What is happening here is an elaborate dance with the heads of the Garda Organisations trying to legally untangle themselves in case it all goes pear shaped. I don't know what the solution will be that can save face for everyone but at least take the time to explore the situation rather than be the boring internet tough guy and call for them all to be sacked etc.

*Real world to some people is an air conditioned office and meetings as opposed to being spat on or physically assaulted by vermin

Nemesiscorporation

Gardai are being teated badly.

If a civil servant on €65,000 who works 9 to 5, is cut less than a Gardai on €38,000 who works shifts that include late nights at weekends, then the Gardai are being treated unfairly.

They should be treated the same. Cuts should be applied equally, or not applied at all. I do believe that in Ireland civil servants are paid to much and that there should be cuts, but I disagree with cutting some and not others. There needs to be parity.

I am no fan of the Gardai and do believe they need to be reformed from top to bottom and that the Patton reforms should be carried out in the Republic of Ireland just as they were in Northern Ireland.

However what is happening here is blatantly undemocratic.

The right to protest is a fundemental right in a democracy.

If a Gardai is protesting on his days off and is not engaging in criminal behaviour, then investigating that Gardai for merely protesting a point is undemocratic and a direct threat to democracy. Thats my personal opinion.

I am very uncomfortable with this investigation into a Gardai merely excercising his democratic right to protest.

RobertW

If a Gardai is protesting on his days off and is not engaging in criminal behaviour, then investigating that Gardai for merely protesting a point is undemocratic and a direct threat to democracy. Thats my personal opinion.

I am very uncomfortable with this investigation into a Gardai merely excercising his democratic right to protest.
It's not as if the Irish people are good protesters.

All this "the state comes first" crap is a throw back to the 1930s. . . Like Enda Kennys made up job title.

hammer

It all comes back to DELUDED FF inflating their pay to enable them buy property.

Now that they have the debts / mortgages the Dept of Finance doesn`t see any problem with cutting their pay by another 5% on top of 15%+

DELUDED FF *****

derryman

I am firmly of the view that a few of them need making examples of. Prosecuted and dismissed, if warranted.

Is that the government or the Gardai you mean?

D

Dylan2010

However what is happening here is blatantly undemocratic.

I'd agree, I'm not sure what fig leaf is being protected here. Personally I want the police to think and express any opinions they have and fight them out in public. As it is we have too many keystone cops enforcing certain laws that are open to debate. Meanwhile the place is becoming more unsafe to live in.

RobertW

Unlike the bankers of course. . . .

SKELLY

I see the typical fascists are out in force on this thread already.

This is just more bully boy bull************************ from FG, the so called party of law on order!

closing down rural garda stations and even removing the emergency intercoms!

Kenny, Shaater et al are a ************************************g disgrace

more power to the Gardai is what i say!

RobertW

I'd agree, I'm not sure what fig leaf is being protected here. Personally I want the police to think and express any opinions they have and fight them out in public. As it is we have too many keystone cops enforcing certain laws that are open to debate. Meanwhile the place is becoming more unsafe to live in.
Without wishing to derail. . If the government is threatening Gardaí over some sort of supposed lack of loyalty to the state (whatever that is) then the corollary of this is that governing parties control our police force.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies