Ahern accuses ECB of bailout plan leaks

Aindriu

Europe tried to bounce Ireland into an international bailout before the Cabinet could discuss it, the retiring Justice Minister Dermot Ahern said today.

Mr Ahern also accused officials from the European Central Bank (ECB) of leaking details to the media to pressurise the Government into applying for a rescue loan.

The Justice Minister’s remarks follow suggestions from Children’s Minister Barry Andrews that the country was forced to accept the package offered by the European Union (EU) and International Monetary Fund (IMF).

After announcing his imminent retirement from national politics, Mr Ahern described the days prior to the bailout negotiations as fraught.

“I do believe there was an effort to bounce us into a discussion before the Cabinet had even discussed it,” he said.

“Those few days were extremely fraught, quite clearly.”
Read more

Mondo

(also posted over on "Dermot Ahern not to contest general election")

I think his retirement is just another FF ruse so he can work on spin from outside the box.

Announce it now so he can sling mud at ECB without his government hat on.

I'm sure he's got it all worked out with Cowen.

Maybe his payoff will be a nice well paid appointment to rest his sore ass - a gift from Cowen and Lenihan before they catch the last chopper out of Saigon.

He's hardcore FF - always, always lying.

picador

Seems like the ECB's attempt to 'bounce' the government into a deal was a spectacular success.

Malbekh

More 'fiction' from our erstwhile freeloading fascist minister.
I don't like Ahern and I don't like FF. But he's 100% correct in his assertion. The ECB are at odds with the EU in terms of fiscal rectitude and what is politically correct. The ECB were no longer prepared to bankroll our financial institution and this started this agenda.

He3

Staying bounced.

Seems like the ECB's attempt to 'bounce' the government into a deal was a spectacular success.

Although now backing the €85bn package, he claimed there had been no discussion at Cabinet of a bailout at that stage and accused the ECB of leaking information to the media.

“Clearly there were people from outside this country who were trying to bounce us, as a sovereign state, into making an application, throwing in the towel before we had even considered it as a government,” Mr Ahern said.

“They were leaking in the papers that Sunday. [There was] quite incredible pressure on this country and, if you notice, they’re doing the same with Portugal now.”

Ahern accuses ECB of bailout plan leaks | BreakingNews.ie

eoghanacht

Is this the first salvo of FF election redemption plan.

The big european boys made us do it!

CptSternn

They haven't even finalised the deal and FF are already saying its bad and they were 'forced' into it.

But why then are they still moving forward with it, if even their own people are saying it is no good?

thegreyfox

He dosent like the idea of being exposed for selling us out.FF mushroom policy keep em in the dark and feed em s+++e.

He3

When the bouncing had to stop

“Clearly there were people from outside this country who were trying to bounce us, as a sovereign state, into making an application, throwing in the towel before we had even considered it as a government,” Mr Ahern said.

Luckily we had someone whose job it was to stop the bouncing:

'It is my job to protect the taxpayer and not to let the Irish people be bounced into something'. -

Brian Lenihan

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
He's basically trying to apply some revisionism to the sequence of events so that the numpty pictures of him and Dempsey nodding like FM104 dogs on a dashboard about there being no bailout might not be on Reeling in The Years for posterity. Langer.

He3

Bouncing stopped, spinning still.

anfieldabff

He's basically trying to apply some revisionism to the sequence of events so that the numpty pictures of him and Dempsey nodding like FM104 dogs on a dashboard about there being no bailout might not be on Reeling in The Years for posterity. Langer.
That is one vision that will live long in the memory, it is one of the defining moments in the demise of the Fianna failure.
They were like two comedy characters, Laurel and Hardy come to mind but I have those two reserved for Clowen and Lenny.

thegreyfox

The ecb insisted on imf intervention.With imf intervention FF cannot control the flow of lies not just from the banks but how individuals gained because of collusion with developers.The games up for the golden circle but its up to us to recover the ill gotten gains.His name sake at the centre.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies