• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ahern and Parker Green

stanley

Assisting Cobalted who has less than 100 posts.

Bertie, Waterford's new fashion outlet and Ferrybank's demise - Kilkenny People

So Ahern joined up in Sep 2008 just after the shlte (economy) hits the fan and low and behold PG are into Anglo for at least 65m and the underlying security does not look too good.

They are now pressing to build a large factory unit in Waterford beside two other white elephants which will/might employ 300 in construction and 200 in retail if finished.

When will people learn that new jobs in retail, at times like this, essentially replace old jobs in retail and the net gain on employment is nil but the T & C's on the new employment will be a lot worse than the old.

If one was to be real cynical here, I could say, in my personal opinion, that the main reason for PG to take the great liar on board would be to ensure a safe passage into Nama, sit still for a while and buy back the underlying security quitely, later on.

Mushroom

A good find Stanley and Cobalted, many thanks. Please keep up the good work, because that toxic viper Ahern needs to be watched like a hawk. Now that his political career has come to a shuddering halt, his main focus is on lining his pockets.

Last edited:

Sync

So you or Cobalted think that PG brought in Ahern to help with Nama. Despite Anglo not receiving it's first govt injection until December 08 and a full year prior to NAMA being set up. It's delusional rubbish of course, but even it were true, well you could hardly fault them for devloping such amazing psychic powers now could you?

Cobalted

I don't think ahern was brought in to smooth passage in to NAMA. I'm not in a position to speculate as to the resons for bringing him on board.

Thanks Stanley for posting the article here. There's a whole lot going on in it.

To qoute Senator Phelan

" the very close and obvious links between a multiple of individuals stinks of cronyism and the type of relationships that got this country into the mess it is in"

stanley

So you or Cobalted think that PG brought in Ahern to help with Nama. Despite Anglo not receiving it's first govt injection until December 08 and a full year prior to NAMA being set up. It's delusional rubbish of course, but even it were true, well you could hardly fault them for devloping such amazing psychic powers now could you?

The people in the know including every developer worth his salt knew the game was running out in 2006 and defo in 2007, first Govt injection was way later, you hardly think the Govt took the first action.

PG were being smart as there is not a company in the Republic would touch Ahern with a 40' barge pole, PG being based in NI and having other overseas developments took a gamble on Ahern but you can bet the goal is Nama, would bet the factory shop style outlet(s) in Waterford is merely kite-flying.

Ahern is trying to line his pockets as usual, he knows no better, his supposed influence would be in Govt/State matters, this is also why he joined the Swiss outfit to use his influence on the Coillte front, what's happening in Waterford is his old speciality - planning permissions ala Mahon, surprised Dunlop has not been parachuted in.

Anorakphobia

I imagine their reasons for bringing Ahern in would have been very basic and "old fashioned", a belief that he would "assist" them.
Also with so many storm clouds gathering they would have known that putting a recently retired Taoisech on their board would position them in the public mindset rightly or wrongly as a"good developer". I mean what sort of a moron of a Taoiseach would join a toxic developer??
Treasury (and Quinlan also for a while) also did this brilliantly for two years deliberately feeding a dumb media stories about how they were "different" and "shrewder". We know different now.
This has always been Ahern's great skill as opposed to the insatiable apetite of greedy pigs like Lawlor or Burke who just charged in and demanded loot up front.

Ahern just creates an illusion.
A sly grin here, a well timed nod.
Many have remarked that in terms of getting the job done Ahern was "unreliable".
I think it was Eamon Dunphy who remarked that Owen O Callaghan didn't trust Bertie to get a job done.
IE
Your donation bought you nothing other than a hope things might fall your way.
This was closer the Haughey model although probably not on such a grand scale.
Hand over the loot and see how the cards fell.

A real mafia style operation, never discuss with the don specifically what you want merely show him your gratitude and usually things will occur to your benefit.

Of cousre with Bert nothing was ever simple.

In an overall sense you have to wonder the sheer sanity of a just retired Taoiseach joining the board of a property developers in the teeth of a property meltdown.
But then again this is Bertie and to expect convention or normality to apply to him or his dealings is absurd.

dalywise

The people in the know including every developer worth his salt knew the game was running out in 2006 and defo in 2007, first Govt injection was way later, you hardly think the Govt took the first action.
Agree. And that's why the Irish Glassbottle site is such a mystery. What was really behind the purchase of that cesspit?

stanley

Agree. And that's why the Irish Glassbottle site is such a mystery. What was really behind the purchase of that cesspit?

Besides every tax break that FF could come up with, perhaps they were teeing up a buyer in the IRFU, knowing that they would not get planning permission in Ballsbridge for an 80k + stadium and the Govt was going to help out bigtime with the finance, maybe the Dunner would have bought Lansdowne Road, who knows.

SideysGhost

The whole Bertie/Switzerland/Coillte thing I find profoundly disturbing, and I'm astounded that hardly anybody seems to care, and even when you tell people you just get a resigned shrug.

A broken people.

stanley

I imagine their reasons for bringing Ahern in would have been very basic and "old fashioned", a belief that he would "assist" them.
Also with so many storm clouds gathering they would have known that putting a recently retired Taoisech on their board would position them in the public mindset rightly or wrongly as a"good developer". I mean what sort of a moron of a Taoiseach would join a toxic developer??
Treasury (and Quinlan also for a while) also did this brilliantly for two years deliberately feeding a dumb media stories about how they were "different" and "shrewder". We know different now.
This has always been Ahern's great skill as opposed to the insatiable apetite of greedy pigs like Lawlor or Burke who just charged in and demanded loot up front.

Ahern just creates an illusion.
A sly grin here, a well timed nod.
Many have remarked that in terms of getting the job done Ahern was "unreliable".
I think it was Eamon Dunphy who remarked that Owen O Callaghan didn't trust Bertie to get a job done.
IE
Your donation bought you nothing other than a hope things might fall your way.
This was closer the Haughey model although probably not on such a grand scale.
Hand over the loot and see how the cards fell.

A real mafia style operation, never discuss with the don specifically what you want merely show him your gratitude and usually things will occur to your benefit.

Of cousre with Bert nothing was ever simple.

In an overall sense you have to wonder the sheer sanity of a just retired Taoiseach joining the board of a property developers in the teeth of a property meltdown.
But then again this is Bertie and to expect convention or normality to apply to him or his dealings is absurd.

Ahern had to be cuffed around the earholes to sign off special designation tax status on the Athlone SC by Albert as he was stalling on signing it off as the Govt was falling, it was their collective last act.

OOC, FF's favourite donor, had to apply full pressure on Albert as he got nowhere fast with Ahern, luckily for OOC Albert remembered, this deal was the cause of major friction between the 2 FF'ers, think OOC had to cough up twice.

Mushroom

Ahern had to be cuffed around the earholes to sign off special designation tax status on the Athlone SC by Albert as he was stalling on signing it off as the Govt was falling, it was their collective last act.

OOC, FF's favourite donor, had to apply full pressure on Albert as he got nowhere fast with Ahern, luckily for OOC Albert remembered, this deal was the cause of major friction between the 2 FF'ers, think OOC had to cough up twice.
Aide-memoire for younger readers.

In November 1994, just before the collapse of the Fianna Fáil-Labour government led by Albert Reynolds, Owen O'Callaghan met with Bertie Ahern. The latter has acknowledged that at that meeting, he and Owen O'Callaghan discussed another controversial tax designation issue – that concerning the Golden Island retail centre in Athlone. The designation was approved by Bertie Ahern as Minister for Finance just hours before the government fell and before he left office.

As well as the controversial designation decisions in relation to Blanchardstown and Golden Island, Bertie Ahern is also expected to face questions from the Planning Tribunal about the alleged movement of files from his department relating to other proposed tax-designation locations during his term as finance minister between 1992 and 1994.

On one occasion, Mr Reynolds ordered Bertie Ahern to ensure that files taken from the Department of the Environment to the Department of Finance over a weekend be returned. This followed a complaint to Mr Reynolds by then environment minister Michael Smith about the movement of the sensitive tax designation files. The Planning Tribunal has heard claims that the files were shown to a group of developers in a Dublin hotel. "

Cobalted

Was unaware of all of that. There really is no end to the length that the Bert went too for his friends.

We need complete transparancy on who exactly owes anglo money and who they are linked to inorder to find out how deep the rot goes

soubresauts

The whole Bertie/Switzerland/Coillte thing I find profoundly disturbing, and I'm astounded that hardly anybody seems to care, and even when you tell people you just get a resigned shrug.
I'm curious about that. Any enlightening documents available?

I remember years ago people telling me that Coillte were bad news. Apart from cynical, careless forest management, there was the phenomenon of local people being intimidated out of their traditional walks in the woods by armed foreigners who had presumably paid big money to Coillte for hunting rights.

A broken people.
Is anybody even angry enough to do something? I can understand Fine Gael and Labour keeping their powder dry. Who wants to get into government now? Poisoned chalice and all that. But there seems to be nothing more than bitter muttering... from anybody and everybody.

adrem

Assisting Cobalted who has less than 100 posts.

Bertie, Waterford's new fashion outlet and Ferrybank's demise - Kilkenny People

So Ahern joined up in Sep 2008 just after the shlte (economy) hits the fan and low and behold PG are into Anglo for at least 65m and the underlying security does not look too good.

They are now pressing to build a large factory unit in Waterford beside two other white elephants which will/might employ 300 in construction and 200 in retail if finished.

When will people learn that new jobs in retail, at times like this, essentially replace old jobs in retail and the net gain on employment is nil but the T & C's on the new employment will be a lot worse than the old.

If one was to be real cynical here, I could say, in my personal opinion, that the main reason for PG to take the great liar on board would be to ensure a safe passage into Nama, sit still for a while and buy back the underlying security quitely, later on.

With all due respect to Cobalted and Stanley . . . . what a load of Garbage !!! There is no NAMA link whatsoever here. BA appointed to a board because the company thinks that he will bring prestige and contacts with him - shock horror !! That's never happened before has it?? No other previous politicians in any country have ever been appointed to boards before.

stanley

There is no Nama story here. Bertie is being paid for access to people he knows. He is a glorified company mascot.

Thats great news, so will Parker Green be ponying up to Anglo and clearing their debts.

Ahern may be a mascot but they aint going to pay him for acting the eejit, the angle has to be Anglo what else could it be, the planning permission could well be out of Ahern's range of influence now.

Parker Green has a big SC in Newry which will be pulling business away from Dublin in particular, do you think for a moment big fish OOC will be happy as Liffey Valley is seeking to expand.

Cork is OOC's home pitch and Waterford is very close for the shopping, factory outlets employing 200 would hurt existing business.

OOC could wipe Ahern in the blink of an eye, if he got out of the wrong side of the bed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies