Ahern warns Poland on need to rein in financial institutions

SKELLY

Bertie - "“one of the parents” of the Celtic Tiger!!

FORMER TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern has advised Poland to keep tight control over financial institutions, saying he wished he had known the importance of doing so when he was taoiseach.

“This is fundamental,” he told Rzeczpospolita , one of Poland’s biggest daily newspapers, in an interview published Monday.

“If I had known this before 2008, Ireland wouldn’t have suffered. I can blame only myself.

“There were problems with Japanese banks, Turkish ones.

“However until it happened here no one wanted to believe that our institutions were similarly endangered.”

Mr Ahern was responding to a question asking him what advice he would give Poland in terms of its economic future.

In another section of the interview Mr Ahern said he does not feel responsible for what he described as the “banks’ wrong policy”.

“Practically, as politicians, we don’t have any control over them. The Central Bank reports but only what it wants to report.

“My mistake was to put too much trust into what the financial people were doing.

“But who would suppose that people in such responsible positions, of huge experience, committed such culpable mistakes and didn’t exercise self-control?”

Discussing the factors that led to Ireland’s economic crisis, Mr Ahern said: “I agree . . . that we were building too much; we believed that there would be buyers of properties forever . . . It was a mistake on our side. But if not for the collapse of Lehman Brothers, which in my opinion became a catalyst [for] the Irish crisis, we would have two to three years to face the problem.

“Due to the crash in the US we had to face the reality unexpectedly.”

Asked why his government had not made more effort to save during the boom years, Mr Ahern, who describes himself in the interview as “one of the parents” of the Celtic Tiger, said: “From each side, from each politician, I heard constantly ‘spend, spend’ . . . I was criticised all the time that I spent too little.

“If I had cut spending they would have crucified me.”

During the interview Rzeczpospolita ’s Dublin-based correspondent Zuzanna Reda notes Mr Ahern’s complaint that he has had “a lot of time” on his hands since he stepped down as taoiseach in May 2008. She suggests to him that perhaps “it’s time to think about a comeback”.

Mr Ahern replied: “I am thinking about this. Now, it’s only an idea, but I wonder about running in the presidential elections.

“Still, I have a lot of time to think about this; the election is not until 2011.”
Ahern warns Poland on need to rein in financial institutions - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 28, 2010

Nice bit of revisionism by Bertie to try and make out he created the celtic tiger.
Its also nice to see that he is still saying that it was lehman brother's fault that everything went tits up.
Andhis last delusion is that he still believes he has a chance at the Aras.

Bertie, do us a favour and get back in that cupboard!

Vincent Browne's tie

He seems to be admitting a bit more wrong doing in this interview than previously...

breakingnews

The presidential bid is out of the question and he knows it. But he prefers to keep the idea open so people keep talking about him, so as to feed his ego a little.

jmcc

He's a delusional, traitorous little sh!te who deserves nothing only disdain from Irish people.

Regards...jmcc

berberie

Ahern warns Poland on need to rein in financial institutions - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 28, 2010

Nice bit of revisionism by Bertie to try and make out he created the celtic tiger.
Its also nice to see that he is still saying that it was lehman brother's fault that everything went tits up.
Andhis last delusion is that he still believes he has a chance at the Aras.

Bertie, do us a favour and get back in that cupboard!
I think a cage with bars would be more like it!! Him a parent of the CT hahaha, methinks it was the coalition gov beforehand that began it as a workable force for good ie bringing in big companies until FF returned to government and turned the whole thing into a ridiculous bubble!

Of course BA didn't have a clue what the banks were doing, sure the poor fella didn't even have a bank account when he was MoF. Just how could he have been expected to deal and understand them on a national level then :eek:. We are just silly citizens to expect a government to do what it's supposedly there to do, how ridiculous of us!

As for the presidential question, now maybe we should allow him to have 400,000 per annum (plus various pensions) so he can put it on the horses, you know, those ones that when they win him thousands he forgets the names of.

Finally, Bertie Ahearn offering financial advice to another country is a bit like allowing the Pope to give religious guidence to muslims!!

TradCat

Bertie's Mea Culpa

The Examiner are reporting that Bertie has advised Poland to keep control over their banks.

If he had known before 2008, Ireland would not have suffered, and he can "blame" only himself.
But he might run for President!

danger here

Lemann Bros gets an honourable mention as usual :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Harmonica

I presume this was a paid interview or trip to Poland as he doesn't do anything for free.

I think he just threw in the comeback thing as it was an interview abroad and made him seem more important than he is. He'd be laughed out of it if gave that interview at home.

TradCat

I see two other threads have sprung up on this. Please merge mods.

Podolski1.5

Known what? That leaving banks to run unfettered around the place with little or no regulation would undermine the economy? He and his Finance ministers McCreevy and Cowen deliberately pursued such a policy. Is there any particular reason why he's worried about the Polish banks? Any Zloty digouts?

FakeViking

My Xmas wish is to have a ban on new threads about Yesterday's Man, regardless of the damage he caused to my country.

Tomas Mor

Will someone not tell him to shut up. Even Martin Mansergh on VB last night rules him out for running for President, and that says something !

Sync

It would be nice if this thread can avoid the knuckle draggers but I doubt we'll be that lucky.

A lot of what he says is reasonable on the face of it. He's right about Lehman's acting as a catylist, but it just hastened the realisation of an inevitable collapse.

But you've got to colour with the fact that he's an accountant, and that in his role as, effectively, CEO of Ireland, he was responsible for running the risk assessment for the country. He utterly failed to do that.

The "Shucks who could have thought the banks would be have like this" is ludicrous given the history of the state.

He couldn't think how an Irish bank could act so recklessly that they might need state intervention? Ernst faces 620m pounds legal action - Business, News - The Independent

That there could be fraud within the banks? AIB fraud 'damages Ireland's image' - RT News

He couldn't think how Insurance companies could reach far outside their grasp and collapse? Harney looking at insurance collapse effects - RT News

It's a ridiculous stance.

Last edited:

myksav

Ahern warns Poland on need to rein in financial institutions.

At least he is admitting to a mistake, and giving others the chance to learn from his mistake(s).

But this is Ireland, where we are not allowed to learn from mistakes, ours or others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you succeed at something, you just learn how to succeed at that something. To keep succeeding at that something, you need learn nothing else.
Making a mistake means you learn something doesn't work, and to succeed you need to learn something new.

cozzy121

My Xmas wish is to have a ban on new threads about Yesterday's Man, regardless of the damage he caused to my country.
My xmas wish is for justice for dearest-bertie.

The OD

Dear Bertie,

Go to your GP and get yourself a big fat load of barbiturates.

Take in one go with a bottle of vodka.

Die.

Rot in hell you dirty piece of filth.

Best Rgds,

The OD

idle tim

It would be nice if this thread can avoid the knuckle draggers but I doubt we'll be that lucky.

A lot of what he says is reasonable on the face of it. He's right about Lehman's acting as a catylist, but it just hastened the realisation of an inevitable collapse.

But you've got to colour with the fact that he's an accountant, and that in his role as, effectively, CEO of Ireland, he was responsible for running the risk assessment for the country. He utterly failed to do that.

The "Shucks who could have thought the banks would be have like this" is ludicrous given the history of the state.

He couldn't think how an Irish bank could act so recklessly that they might need state intervention? Ernst faces 620m pounds legal action - Business, News - The Independent

That there could be fraud within the banks? AIB fraud 'damages Ireland's image' - RT News

He couldn't think how Insurance companies could reach far outside their grasp and collapse? Harney looking at insurance collapse effects - RT News

It's a ridiculous stance.
Why the need to avoid "Knuckledraggers"(some members might view you as one),its a forum open to all who abide by its rules,and your disdain towards some members is not becoming of one of P.ies Mods.

Aherne is on borrowed time(politically speaking),his utterances fall on already bleeding ears in this Jurisdiction,but ime sure the Poles can look after their own house without his advice.

cozzy121

Dear Bertie,

Go to your GP and get yourself a big fat load of barbiturates.

Take in one go with a bottle of vodka.

Die.

Rot in hell you dirty piece of filth.

Best Rgds,

The OD
No, he'd get the good owld State Funeral out of dat.
What's required is hurt in what he holds dearest, namely his pocket.

thegreyfox

Ahearn deniel

Not to blame.Ahearn,the developers and bankers should be charged under the organised crime gang laws.No empire,terrorist organisation or crime gang has caused as much harm to this state and yet no one has been brought before the courts

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies