AIB looking at your Social media as part of the mortgage application process .. ( agasinst GDPR? )

robut

'Big Brother' AIB now spying on customers' social media accounts

The AIB banking group has been accused of playing Big Brother with its customers after it emerged that it spies on customers' social media accounts.

This means the lender is trawling through Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other social media accounts held by customers for comments on its service.

The bank tells customers that the move "helps us understand your behaviour".

As part of the mortgage application process, customers are now required to sign a consent form, which gives permission for a range of things, such as a credit check, to be carried out on them and to allow their social media accounts to be looked at by the bank.

It applies to those seeking mortgages with AIB and its subsidiaries, EBS and Haven. AIB Group is 71pc-owned by the State and is the Republic's biggest mortgage lender.
Immediately when I saw this it struck me that surely this does not comply with the new GDPR coming along on May 25th 2018? ( see bold part above )

Apparently no tick box any where on the form to opt in / opt out of giving consent. So its the signing that does the opt in to everything on the form rather than an empty tick box with a Q asking do you consent to us trawling your social media accounts.

I can only conclude that the get around GDPR thing from AIB perspective here is DONT SIGN THE FORM, then you are not consenting BUT also then your chance of getting a mortgage from us goes way down? However I assume under GDPR all this would need to be clearly stated somewhere easily found on the form?

Thoughts ...

hammer

Checking TWITTER :)

What next checking your posts on p.ie

That should restrict the doomsters !!

robut

Checking TWITTER :)

What next checking your posts on p.ie

That should restrict the doomsters !!
Yes .. I saw Charlies article on this mentioned on Twitter .. thought it a good topic here.

Its a good Q re GDPR? Genuinely, what are your thoughts on this?

I wonder will all the other banks follow suit now?? i am surprised it didnt come up in the article ..

Im sure they looking at P.IE too :D

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

I'm beginning to think some people don't understand the word "social" in social media.

Once you tick the box and then put content out into the public space you have no control of, or legal right to have control of, that content.

Employers and prospective employers do this all the time - not by hacking into the FB server or breaching data protection rules, but by accessing public data.

hammer

Stupid idea.

Word of warning : If anyone has an online betting account or debits to a betting firm you can probably forget about that mortgage / loan.

hammer

I dont do TWITTER or SNAPCHAT
I barely do FACEBOOK - Actually thinking of deleting if possible

Like Sewer Poo then my only interaction with anyone will be p.ie :) :)

Sync

I'm beginning to think some people don't understand the work "social" in social media.

Once you tick the box and then put content out into the public space you have no control of, or legal right to have control of, that content.

Employers and prospective employers do this all the time - not by hacking into the FB server or breaching data protection rules, but by accessing public data.
Seriously. This is the equivalent of saying "We're going to do a check of news articles on you". I'd be curious if this is actually "Consent" or "Inform".

robut

Stupid idea.

Word of warning : If anyone has an online betting account or debits to a betting firm you can probably forget about that mortgage / loan.
But i wonder are AIB getting in with this before GDPR arrives .. to put it out in public?

Is it almost a tacit admission ( no Im not naive :D ) that they have been doing this all along anyway and now with GDPR they want to come clean?

And does simply signing the form mean consent under GDPR w/o explicitly ticking a box

hammer

Robut its a feckin JOKE.

They really need to do a course on what "banking" should be about.

Sync

And does simply signing the form mean consent under GDPR w/o explicitly ticking a box
There's no consent required for this.

Disillusioned democrat

But i wonder are AIB getting in with this before GDPR arrives .. to put it out in public?

Is it almost a tacit admission ( no Im not naive :D ) that they have been doing this all along anyway and now with GDPR they want to come clean?

It's NOTHING to do with GDPR.

If someone posts content publicly on Facebook it's there for everyone to see. Now, if they record it on one of their own systems it would become a GDPR concern, but if they access it directly and make a decision based on it and record that decision then it's not.

robut

I'm beginning to think some people don't understand the word "social" in social media.

It's NOTHING to do with GDPR.

If someone posts content publicly on Facebook it's there for everyone to see. Now, if they record it on one of their own systems it would become a GDPR concern, but if they access it directly and make a decision based on it and record that decision then it's not.
Well,NO IT IS NOT. Take facebook .. If you .. and many now have .. secure it, your posts will not appear to the public unless you explicitly set WHO SHOULD SEE THIS to PUBLIC when posting. I notice most have this set to FRIENDS only so unless they allow AIB as a friend then AIB shouldnt be able to see your posts publicly.

Disillusioned democrat

Well, take facebook. If you .. and many now have .. secure it, your posts will not appear to the public unless you explicitly set WHO SHOULD SEE THIS to PUBLIC when posting. I notice most have this set to FRIENDS only so unless they allow AIB as a friend then AIB shouldnt be able to see your posts publicly.
Exactly - so where's the problem?

Sync

Well, take facebook. If you .. and many now have .. secure it, your posts will not appear to the public unless you explicitly set WHO SHOULD SEE THIS to PUBLIC when posting. I notice most have this set to FRIENDS only so unless they allow AIB as a friend then AIB shouldnt be able to see your posts publicly.
Which is why no consent is required.

If AIB were demanding access to your facebook info (Like border control do in some countries), then it's a different story.

robut

Which is why no consent is required.

If AIB were demanding access to your facebook info (Like border control do in some countries), then it's a different story.
Mmmm i wonder. It apparently states on the form that the person applying for a mortgage "allow their social media accounts to be looked at by the bank".

Surely that is USING YOUR DATA? they are hardly going to look at your facebook and twitter account etc and do nothing with what they saw? They are using this as part of the application for a mortgage from AIB so they are using your data as part of this decision?

hammer

Lets have a bit of fun ; what questions would your Bank Manager raise due to FACEBOOK posts or tweets whilst drunk?

clearmurk

'Big Brother' AIB now spying on customers' social media accounts

Immediately when I saw this it struck me that surely this does not comply with the new GDPR coming along on May 25th 2018? ( see bold part above )

Apparently no tick box any where on the form to opt in / opt out of giving consent. So its the signing that does the opt in to everything on the form rather than an empty tick box with a Q asking do you consent to us trawling your social media accounts.

I can only conclude that the get around GDPR thing from AIB perspective here is DONT SIGN THE FORM, then you are not consenting BUT also then your chance of getting a mortgage from us goes way down? However I assume under GDPR all this would need to be clearly stated somewhere easily found on the form?

Thoughts ...
This is clearly in the category "we want to know that you think, and that your thinking and values are aligned with ours, before we will lend you money".

Just another example of social manipulation and control from the rotten finance sector.

New Threads

Most Replies