Ailing Senator John McCain reportedly doesn’t want President Trump at his funeral.

NYCKY

In perhaps a sign of the times, Senator McCain who was diagnosed last July with an aggressive form of brain cancer and currently is not expected to return to the Senate, apparently does not want Trump at his funeral but wants Vice President Pence, former Presidents Bush Jr and Obama to attend/eulogize. There has been multiple media reports about this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mccain-doesn-t-want-trump-funeral-friends-tell-white-house-n871641

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jake-tapper-john-mccain-funeral-trump_us_5af08630e4b0c4f193252972

John MCain has a new book due on May 22nd ,” The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations”. It was authored by Mark Salter, who has collaborated with McCain on his six other books. In the book, he details his work with others but also his clashes with his party, colleagues, Presidents and pulls no punches when it comes to his disagreements with President Trump

McCain is 81 and has had a myriad of health issues over the years and even decades, much of it stemming from his time (six years) and treatment as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

When sitting Senators pass away, it is customary for the sitting VP, as President of the Senate to attend the funeral. It is also common for the sitting President to attend and eulogize (particularly when from the same party) , like President Obama did for Senators Robert Byrd of W Va, Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts and Daniel Inouye of Hawaii.

In 2002, the family of the late Minnesota Senator Paul Wellstone asked VP Cheney not to attend, but that was literally days before the mid term election. Democratic Senator Wellstone, on course to re-election had been killed in a plane crash on the way to a campaign event.

Several former Presidents attended Kennedys funeral, making it akin to a state funeral and a similar turnout could be expected for McCains funeral given his national profile and political stature.

John McCain is not universally loved nor are his politics but his service to the country is widely respected, particularly his military service, except by Trump.

From the extracts of the book I have seen McCain seems at peace and I think most of us would hope that he is comfortable. Of course, whether or not Trump attends is another story. I doubt rejection of a sitting President at the funeral of such a prominent Senator will be a seminal moment but it may be an eye opener for some.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Trump cruelly mocked McCain re his torture in Vietnam (Trump got multiple deferments, including for his nascent demon hooves)

McCain also fundamentally disagrees with Trump on public service, morals and foreign policy

It would make no sense for Trump to be at his funeral

Cyp

Dame_Enda

I respect his military service and suffering 10 years in the notorious "Hanoi Hilton". On the other hand I've always felt he is naive in his renunciation of unchivalrous tactics in politics, and in his expectation his political opponents will be chivalrous to him. This helped him lose in 2008 against Obama (though its doubtful any Republican could have won) and also against Bush in the 2000 primary. He has become increasing moderate and institutionalist, and this hurt the Obamacare repeal when he voted against it.

If I were Trump I would not appreciate McCain either, given his prominent role in bringing the dossier to light. In fact I would be furious with him. But insulting his military service and POW status should be beyond the pale.

GDPR

Yeah, it’s not just that he doesn’t want Trump there; it’s that he doesn’t want Trump there but he does want Obama. That must be chapping Trump's fat, incontinent ass.

flavirostris

There would be no love lost there. McCain would be seen as on the neo con wing of the GOP and a lot of Republicans dislike him intensely because of his voting habits.

O'Sullivan Bere

McCain views him as loathsome personally and professionally, and Trump couldn't give a sh!t about him or that. Trump won't go. McCain doesn't want him there, and Trump doesn't want to be there. In that sense, both get what they want. McCain doesn't get his funeral defiled by Trump's presence, and Trump gets him off the hook to got to his golf course where he'd rather be.

Roisin3

In perhaps a sign of the times, Senator McCain who was diagnosed last July with an aggressive form of brain cancer and currently is not expected to return to the Senate, apparently does not want Trump at his funeral but wants Vice President Pence, former Presidents Bush Jr and Obama to attend/eulogize. There has been multiple media reports about this.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mccain-doesn-t-want-trump-funeral-friends-tell-white-house-n871641

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jake-tapper-john-mccain-funeral-trump_us_5af08630e4b0c4f193252972

John MCain has a new book due on May 22nd ,” The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations”. It was authored by Mark Salter, who has collaborated with McCain on his six other books. In the book, he details his work with others but also his clashes with his party, colleagues, Presidents and pulls no punches when it comes to his disagreements with President Trump

McCain is 81 and has had a myriad of health issues over the years and even decades, much of it stemming from his time (six years) and treatment as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

When sitting Senators pass away, it is customary for the sitting VP, as President of the Senate to attend the funeral. It is also common for the sitting President to attend and eulogize (particularly when from the same party) , like President Obama did for Senators Robert Byrd of W Va, Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts and Daniel Inouye of Hawaii.

In 2002, the family of the late Minnesota Senator Paul Wellstone asked VP Cheney not to attend, but that was literally days before the mid term election. Democratic Senator Wellstone, on course to re-election had been killed in a plane crash on the way to a campaign event.

Several former Presidents attended Kennedys funeral, making it akin to a state funeral and a similar turnout could be expected for McCains funeral given his national profile and political stature.

John McCain is not universally loved nor are his politics but his service to the country is widely respected, particularly his military service, except by Trump.

From the extracts of the book I have seen McCain seems at peace and I think most of us would hope that he is comfortable. Of course, whether or not Trump attends is another story. I doubt rejection of a sitting President at the funeral of such a prominent Senator will be a seminal moment but it may be an eye opener for some.
If it’s true that McCain has left instructions with his family, as has been reported, that Trump is not to attend, then he’d be gatecrashing if he went. He’s definitely not going to be there.

Dame_Enda

There would be no love lost there. McCain would be seen as on the neo con wing of the GOP and a lot of Republicans dislike him intensely because of his voting habits.
McCain is also very pro immigration, which is anathema to Trump.

GDPR

I wonder if Sarah Palin and her tribe of grifters will be there, loud and proud. McCain is the one to blame for bringing that mess on the national scene in the US.

NYCKY

If it’s true that McCain has left instructions with his family, as has been reported, that Trump is not to attend, then he’d be gatecrashing if he went. He’s definitely not going to be there.
Are you familiar with Trumps personality? He wants to be the baby at the christening, the bride at the wedding and the corpse at the wake?

McCain has made plans for his funeral and it will be in the National Cathedral in DC, a bit more than a stones throw from the White House. This is where the funeral of Presidents take place and can't imagine Trump wanting to miss this turn in the spotlight but yea agree he would be gatecrashing it.

NYCKY

I wonder if Sarah Palin and her tribe of grifters will be there, loud and proud. McCain is the one to blame for bringing that mess on the national scene in the US.

Incidentally, in the book, he owns up to the mistake of plunging Governor Sarah Palin onto the nation and not fighting hard enough to get his good friend and Gores VP nominee from 2000 Senator Joe Lieberman as his own running mate.

Lieberman has been to visit him recently as has Joe Biden and his good friend Senator Lindsay Graham.

Roisin3

Are you familiar with Trumps personality? He wants to be the baby at the christening, the bride at the wedding and the corpse at the wake?

McCain has made plans for his funeral and it will be in the National Cathedral in DC, a bit more than a stones throw from the White House. This is where the funeral of Presidents take place and can't imagine Trump wanting to miss this turn in the spotlight but yea agree he would be gatecrashing it.

Oh okay, I didn’t know it was going to be in DC. He might crash it.

flavirostris

He's hated by the alt-right as a 'cuckservative'. Soft on the issues they care about like immigration. Lyndsey Graham and Jeff Flake would also fall into that category. All big Israel firsters.

GDPR

Incidentally, in the book, he owns up to the mistake of plunging Governor Sarah Palin onto the nation and not fighting hard enough to get his good friend and Gores VP nominee from 2000 Senator Joe Lieberman as his own running mate.

Lieberman has been to visit him recently as has Joe Biden and his good friend Senator Lindsay Graham.
I didnt know that.

I'm not a fan of McCain. He has a degree of responsibility for unleashing today's current political climate on the US by bringing Sarah Palin to prominence. McCain was a reckless as Trump by elevating a complete fraud and incompetent as VP for the country. McCain didn't start this, but he sure joined in.

NYCKY

I didnt know that.

I'm not a fan of McCain. He has a degree of responsibility for unleashing today's current political climate on the US by bringing Sarah Palin to prominence. McCain was a reckless as Trump by elevating a complete fraud and incompetent as VP for the country. McCain didn't start this, but he sure joined in.
To be fair, he did it diplomatically. It was well known at the time that he wanted Lieberman. At that stage Lieberman, rather than lose a Democratic primary, ran as an independent for Senate in 2006 and won. He still caucused for Democrats but campaigned for McCain in 2008. McCain was told the base would revolt at the convention and with Obama leading, McCain and his team knew he needed a game changer. We got Palin and the rest is history.

I really liked the McCain of 2000 and his straight talk express. He really was a maverick then. The 2008 campaign.... that was gone.

GDPR

To be fair, he did it diplomatically. It was well known at the time that he wanted Lieberman. At that stage Lieberman, rather than lose a Democratic primary, ran as an independent for Senate in 2006 and won. He still caucused for Democrats but campaigned for McCain in 2008. McCain was told the base would revolt at the convention and with Obama leading, McCain and his team knew he needed a game changer. We got Palin and the rest is history.

I really liked the McCain of 2000 and his straight talk express. He really was a maverick then. The 2008 campaign.... that was gone.
I am in two minds about him. Seems to me he always played the maverick Republican, but when push came to shove, he fell into line double quick. McCain has voted 94% in favor of Trumps cabinet. Look st the committees he sits on. He could have compelled people to testify by issuing subpoenas. He could have become an independent rather than stand with the Republicans.

He was a POW. Ask the vets who are homeless or lost their healthcare due to Republican cuts. Where was he?Remember when he called his wife Cindy, who btw is the Trump administrations special ambassador about refugees, a c(unt live on tv.

O'Sullivan Bere

Let's start with the actual facts such as:

Trump, comparing sex to Vietnam, said in 1998 he should receive the Congressional Medal of Honor

McCain is a third generation decorated scrappy Scotch-Irish war veteran, and he got mocked and demagogued by a licentious bloviating trust fund brat that preferred to criminally dodge the draft with a fake bone spur claim so he could screw everything that moved whilst he served and suffered. Trump also respects the American political institutions and their traditions and protocols, of which Trump drags through the mud.

Related to these thing was his revulsion at chickenhawk demagogy as with Romney and Trump:
[video=youtube;tNf6ubjdYmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf6ubjdYmc[/video]
(his finest moment of the 2008 campaign there IMO)

And yes, he dislikes trashing up the GOP and conservative politics with trolling on minorities and immigrants with the so-called 'alt-right' that's white supremacy wearing a suit. One of his biggest regrets was being talked into picking Sarah Palin as his VP candidate in 2008 on the fly without proper vetting, and it helped cost him the election. She wound up a self-serving precursor for Trump and they are not on speaking terms, although she will show at his funeral given the 2008 connection.

Betson

A real level of bitterness here , even using his funeral as a means to have a go at Trump to try and hurt him politically.

But if he does not want Trump there then Trump should stay away.

This won't have any effect on Republican supporters of Trump , many of whom felt that McCain has been a democrat in all but name for the last few years anyway.

GDPR

A real level of bitterness here , even using his funeral as a means to have a go at Trump to try and hurt him politically.

This won't have any effect on Republican supporters of Trump , many of whom felt that McCain has been a democrat in all but name for the last few years anyway.
A Dem who always votes with the Republicans. Fascinating insights you have here, Betson.

O'Sullivan Bere

...which was always an absurd claim.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies