• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Air Corp plane crash in Galway. 2 feared dead.

TommyO'Brien

The crash happened in Connemara around 6pm. No more details. When I get them I will post.

FortyCoats

I know someone training in the Aer Corps. I hope to God it's not him.

I wonder was it that old Cessna 172 they still have knocking around.

B

birthday

I have seen the Pilatus fly at very high speed clos eto ground level

FortyCoats

On 9 o'clock news now. "A training plane" crashes in "Connemara".

"light aircraft", "2-seater training plane".

Sounds like a PC9 alright.

edit: PC9 just confirmed - KN spot on as usual.

FortyCoats

Do these planes have ejector seats?

Two men "officially missing" according to the Aer Corps.

FortyCoats

One cadet and one instructor feared dead.

corelli

Terrible news. Thoughts with the family. Hopefully not an issue with servicing the planes etc.

For a small air arm the Air Corps have a bit of an issue with death in service.

FortyCoats

Terrible news. Thoughts with the family. Hopefully not an issue with servicing the planes etc.

For a small air arm the Air Corps have a bit of an issue with death in service.
4 were killed 10 years ago in a helicopter accident (one of those Dauphins). Not sure if that was a training exercise or not.

Tommy Tayto

Not looking good, yes they have ejection seats but I don't know if they were used. You can eject successfully and it can still be fatal. Anyone know what the weather was like, were they doing low level mountain training I wonder?

beanie

Very sad news

MacO'velli

Statement from the DOD:

Defence Forces Press Office
12 October 2009. 11.10 pm.

Statement
The crew and wreckage of the Air Corps Pilatus PC 9 reported missing this evening have been located and the two crew members, the flight instructor and cadet pilot, are unfortunately confirmed dead. Their remains are at the scene of the crash, which has been sealed off by local Gardaí and Fire Crews.

The crash site will be examined at first light tomorrow morning by Air Accident Investigators from the Air Corps and Department of Transport. The remains of the two crew can only be removed after the scene has been cleared of the explosives from the PC 9 ejector seats which would be at the crash site also.

Names of the crew of the aircraft will not be released until it is confirmed that their families have been informed by Air Corps personnel. The Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley and the General Officer Commanding the Air Corps, Brigadier General Ralph James have expressed their deepest sympathies on behalf of the Defence Forces at this difficult time for the families of these deceased airmen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

Note: The location of the crash site is in the area of Crumlin-East/Crumlin West, north of Lough Corrib, on the Galway-Mayo border.
ENDS.

corelli

Statement from the DOD:

Defence Forces Press Office
12 October 2009. 11.10 pm.

Statement
The crew and wreckage of the Air Corps Pilatus PC 9 reported missing this evening have been located and the two crew members, the flight instructor and cadet pilot, are unfortunately confirmed dead. Their remains are at the scene of the crash, which has been sealed off by local Gardaí and Fire Crews.

The crash site will be examined at first light tomorrow morning by Air Accident Investigators from the Air Corps and Department of Transport. The remains of the two crew can only be removed after the scene has been cleared of the explosives from the PC 9 ejector seats which would be at the crash site also.

Names of the crew of the aircraft will not be released until it is confirmed that their families have been informed by Air Corps personnel. The Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Dermot Earley and the General Officer Commanding the Air Corps, Brigadier General Ralph James have expressed their deepest sympathies on behalf of the Defence Forces at this difficult time for the families of these deceased airmen.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

Note: The location of the crash site is in the area of Crumlin-East/Crumlin West, north of Lough Corrib, on the Galway-Mayo border.
ENDS.
It's not far from Cong/Mam Cross, to give people a more relative idea.

MacO'velli

It's not far from Cong/Mam Cross, to give people a more relative idea.
Yes, I'm about 20 miles from it at the moment, and while it was low cloud today, it would not have been muggy/foggy, looks like they were training for night flying as it happened at 6.20, and they were to/or had refuelled in Galway.

DeathKnell

Not looking good, yes they have ejection seats but I don't know if they were used. You can eject successfully and it can still be fatal. Anyone know what the weather was like, were they doing low level mountain training I wonder?
Weather was beautiful in Galway all day, some low cloud moved in around 5pm with drizzle by 7.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies