• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Air India considering T2 for US flights hub

kerrynorth

This will be a boon to Dublin if they can get it. Plus it will provide a lot of extra routes and competition from Ireland to the US keeping fares low. Also, there will be cheap seats going to India for the footloose among us.
BUSINESS WORLD - Roundup: Dublin to become Air India hub?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Air India may consider Dublin Airport as its new hub". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Scorpio

Thanks for this - good to see, however it came about, that the most obvious hard-to-replicate advantage we have (the last craggy outpost on the way from Europe to America) is not getting forgotten amid all this digital mullarkey.

seanmacc

I thought Shannon would make more sense seeing that the US customs pre clearance is opening this year. Its good to see that something will be going to T2. As it stands its just going to be an empty shed.

johnfás

I thought Shannon would make more sense seeing that the US customs pre clearance is opening this year. Its good to see that something will be going to T2. As it stands its just going to be an empty shed.
T2 will have preclearance as well.

Malbekh

Good spot this, very interesting. White elephant comments will be held in abeyance until further notice....

Sync

Would be a great addition to Dublin Airport if it goes ahead. Agree that for a multitude of reasons it makes more sense to try and house it there as opposed to Shannon etc.

orbit

Loss-making Air India would also be able to pick up passengers at Dublin airport, either for continuation to the United States, or to India, although the level of such additional business would certainly be low. That could diminish the chance of Dublin being chosen by Air India, which would be able to access higher levels of additional traffic at bigger European cities.
But, the excellent links between Dublin and the UK might negate that problem to an extent - considering that's where most European originating traffic to India comes from. Could be good for Aer Lingus as well ...

kerrynorth

But, the excellent links between Dublin and the UK might negate that problem to an extent - considering that's where most European originating traffic to India comes from. Could be good for Aer Lingus as well ...
I did not get the logic in the paragraph at all. Firstly, there will be only be a limited number of seats for sale from Dublin - its not as if they are trying the fill the whole plane from Dublin, and secondly I would imagine there would a lot of demand for the seats available both to the US and India. Tourists going to India get to avoid Heathrow et al and fly direct to India, that will generate a lot of Irish traffic alone.

adamirer

Excellent possible news, with Heathrow bulging, this makes a certain amount of sense, though i thought it would be quicker for Indians to go the other way around via Phillipines.

borntorum

Jaysus lads, hold your horses. Usually on p.ie posters are too quick to rubbish good news. But nothing has been agreed or decided here yet. Obviously if it comes to pass, it will be great news, but let's not be counting any chickens

thebig C

Great....HOWEVER, the big problem Dublin has is that its runway cannot accommodate the Boeing 777 200LR/ER and 777 300ER! They need , depending on the model, between 3200 and 3600 to land and take off at maximum weight.

The reason no Asian carriers are currently flying to Dublin is primarily because of the runway issue. Most of the big asian airlines use the 777 or 747 400. Which are more or less precluded from Dublin!

Typically, the DAA wanted to build a new runway of 3100m (smaller then Shannon) but they eventually decided to consider upping that to 3600. Then of course, they dropped it like a hot potato once the downturn came. Obviously in the DAA mindset, it makes no sense building during a recession when costs are lower so that you are ready with excellant facilities to capitalise on an upturn in the economy!

C

kerrynorth

Great....HOWEVER, the big problem Dublin has is that its runway cannot accommodate the Boeing 777 200LR/ER and 777 300ER! They need , depending on the model, between 3200 and 3600 to land and take off at maximum weight.
But they will not be need to be anywhere near MTOW taking off from Dublin because of the reduced fuel load required going in either direction.

thebig C

But they will not be need to be anywhere near MTOW taking off from Dublin because of the reduced fuel load required going in either direction.
KN its not only fuel. A huge part of the profits on LH flights is carrying cargo in the hold. Obviously, the cargo involves non bulk high value items etc. However, filling the hold still adds weight. Also, flights (to Dublin) which eminate from Mumbai, Delhi or worse Calcutta are still further then the longest sectors which Aer Lingus flew such as Los Angeles or Dubai.

C

thebig C

KN, if I recall correctly you were the poster suggesting last December when Aer lingus posted losses, that they could use A320 (short haul) jets on trans Atlantic flights. That is so wrong that I don't know where to start.

Please don't trust me on the aircraft related issues!

C

kerrynorth

KN, if I recall correctly you were the poster suggesting last December when Aer lingus posted losses, that they could use A320 (short haul) jets on trans Atlantic flights. That is so wrong that I don't know where to start.

C
The A320 family are 180minutes ETOPS certified. Air Canada used to run Halifax-Heathrow on an A320 - that would at least be similar to Shannon-Boston/New York.

Malbekh

In a totally related but terribly rude intervention, has anyone been to the airport recently? Instead of going to the right of terminals and into the car parks, you now are taken through the middle of the T2 building(s).

It is very much like driving into an enormous pair of buttocks.

Anyway, sorry, as you were...........

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies