Air India considering T2 for US flights hub

SilverSpurs

As a frequent traveller to NYC this is good news for me although presumably will put increased pressure on Aer Lingus cost wise. There is no reason why transit arrangements could not be put in place whereby passengers arriving from India can be directed to the US preclearance area instead of Irish immigration. Even ad hoc transit arrangements could be put in place such as those for the Air New Zealand Heathrow-Auckland flight that refuels in LAX.

Lord Muck Savage

There is no reason why transit arrangements could not be put in place whereby passengers arriving from India can be directed to the US preclearance area instead of Irish immigration.
So, a shower of Indians and Paki's arrive in Dublin on route to America and are directed to the US preclearance desk, what happens if the American immigration officials refuse to allow them through? Will they be directed on the next plane back to India, or will they remain in Dublin at Irish taxpayers expense (obviously) for an indefinite period? I say indefinite, because once here, we'll never get rid of them.Yet more illegal immigrants, eh?
Frankly, we really ought not allow any Indian of Paki planes enter our air space let alone land on our soil.
This really sucks.

Squire Allworthy

At the moment its looking likely that this will go ahead.

Will it? Good news for jobs if it does, but could well be a bargaining position to use against elsewhere. Indians very politely do that sort of thing and negative expressions are usually muted. It is cultural and a form of good manners. India does candid very poorly. So don't get over excited until ink is applied to contract.

There isn't a large Indian community in Dublin and Indian business travel may prefer a hub located elsewhere. I would have thought that other airports in Europe are more likely to offer potential traffic for that Airline. To me it doesn't seem a coherent business proposal, but could well be wrong?

Re comments on being ill and bugs on Air India planes. I have been on a fair few and the standard of hygiene seems fine to me. Never been ill post flight. I would have greater doubts about some European fast turn around cheap flight operators. IMO many of the Asian Airlines are superior to those operating out of Europe. Also I do not recall bacon being offered on any Air India flight, Muslims are a substantial minority in India.

juggernaut

any update on Air India coming to Dublin?

Any more word on this? - Its getting pretty close to the openign of T2 if Air India is going to be attracted to it

Cassandra Syndrome

Grumpy Jack

I'm beginning to suspect a ruse to cover T2's eventual failure - I hope not
T2 will be there for the next 30 years and beyond.

Just because it may start slow on opening in November in the middle of the worst recession for a couple of generations does not mean it will be a failure.

When the economy recovers, then we will see the worth of T2.

I wish everybody would stop looking at every new project that opens through the prism of today and start realising these projects - T2, motorways, Metro, Dart, etc - are for the future as much as the present.

At least when we come out of this current mess we will have world-class infrastructure - something we didn't have in the mid-1990s and which choked growth in key areas.

juggernaut

True we should stopp looking at infrastructure as if was only for 2010, but that equally doesn't mean that we should deliberately build in unneeded capacity. The passenger figs for T2 don't look promising for years and years - even when we come out of this recession.
My point about Air India was the cynical 'bigging up' of T2. I wish they'd kept quiet about it and if it had come off we could have all been delighted.

MsAnneThrope

Cowen might have to decentralise and move T2 lock, stock and barrel to Offaly to create Offaly International Airport (airport code: FFS), then when it's shown to unviable there put it under wraps until the midlands upturn comes, rebuild another even bigger T2 at Dublin Airport because you've employed a consultant to say T2 will be viable some time this century and "we need to be ready", going forward...

Cassandra Syndrome

Terminal 2
National Conference Centre
New Criminal Courts
Aviva Stadium
& the others

Aindriu

Great news.

The DAA should pull out all the stops on this, and Mary Coughlan should be sent on holiday until the deal is done.
She should be sent on holiday permanently!

Grumpy Jack

We won't.
Motorway network
Dublin Airport
Metro and Dart will be under construction
Luas extensions
Better rail services
Broadband now being upgraded
Conference centre
Plenty of commerical capacity to be filled - no need to build more

We will be far better placed in the coming years than we were when we came out of the 1980s and early-19s when the expansion was so great and so fast that parts of the economy were choked - and everything was thrown into a construction boom at the expense of everything else.

DCon

Motorway network
Dublin Airport - over capacity and not "World Class"
Metro and Dart will be under construction Only affects Dublin
Luas extensions Only affects Dublin
Better rail services Better than what? Not even "European Class" never mind "World Class"
Broadband now being upgraded Too late and too slow in coming
Conference centre Not needed. Cost too much. State paying rent to friends of FF

Last edited:

Grumpy Jack

Terminal 2
National Conference Centre
New Criminal Courts
Aviva Stadium
& the others

You simply cannot make that judgement now.

For example, how the hell is the Criminal Courts complex a white elephant - that's going to be the most used building in the country by its very nature.

Lansdowne Road sold out for most soccer and rugby matches, and concerts, for the last 25 years - the same will be true in the future. It's like saying Croke Park is a white elephant.

The national conference centre has around 300 booking stretching out to 2020 - again it will pay its way over decades, not a year or two. In case you hadn't noticed, foreigners like visiting Dublin - despite the cost factor - and this will attract more high-end spenders. It is a key part of Bord Failte's development strategy.

If smart-aleck doom merchants like you were listened to, we'd still be living in caves and mud huts. You make Sean Barrett looking like an optimist and a visionary.

Cassandra Syndrome

You simply cannot make that judgement now.

For example, how the hell is the Criminal Courts complex a white elephant - that's going to be the most used building in the country by its very nature.

Lansdowne Road sold out for most soccer and rugby matches, and concerts, for the last 25 years - the same will be true in the future. It's like saying Croke Park is a white elephant.

The national conference centre has around 300 booking stretching out to 2020 - again it will pay its way over decades, not a year or two. In case you hadn't noticed, foreigners like visiting Dublin - despite the cost factor - and this will attract more high-end spenders. It is a key part of Bord Failte's development strategy.

If smart-aleck doom merchants like you were listened to, we'd still be living in caves and mud huts. You make Sean Barrett looking like an optimist and a visionary.
I can. Are all the recent projects the proceeds of savings?

No. All borrowed. Ever hear of compound interest? Its nasty to thing to service when there is no income to service it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies