Alan Cantwell suddenly resigns as MMOCs' special advisor after less than 6 months

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
MMOC has been in the press a lot recently - her head of communications has resigned

May 2016 TV3's Alan Cantwell quits to become Government adviser - Independent.ie
“Have resigned my position at TV3. Appointed to position at Dept. Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation.”

Mr Cantwell's new role is Director of Communications to the Department.
Nov 2016 Former TV3 news anchor resigns as special advisor to Mary Mitchell O'Connor - Independent.ie
However, the pair are believed to have had a strained relationship at times.
This comes after she went on a trip, for which her intinerary was not available to journalists - apparently as it was commerically confidential (see last paragraph)
There really is something about Mary Mitchell O

A sense prevails that the Minister is too beholden to Kenny and simply not up to the job
...She was one of the leading backbench brown-nosers of Enda Kenny at the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party.
... Mary Mitchell O'Connor's office declined to supply an intinerary or details of the trip, citing commercial confidentiality
Also MMOC is known to be familiar with this site
http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/184274-mary-mitchell-oconnor-td-attacks-politics-ie-8.html

This threads has been subjected to extreme censorship / bowdlerisation
http://www.politics.ie/forum/fine-gael/251805-why-mary-mitchell-o-connor-appointed-cabinet.html

cyp

Last edited:

GDPR

And after they changed the rules to allow him to go to the top of the pay scale on arrival....

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The Irish Times believed the lack of itinerary a sufficiently important detail to report on

Why was her intinerary not released ? When were the events planned ? When was it decided MMOC would go on the trip ?

Is this relevant to Mr Cantwell's resignation ?

cyp

Hibee

And after they changed the rules to allow him to go to the top of the pay scale on arrival....
Not so really . That said how this man was an adviser to a jobs minister baffles . Well no it don't all told . This kind of thing don't happen in the north does it Eagler ?? You know that thing where an adviser is appointed by a Minister and the adviser never , ever worked in the Minister's area of responsibility ???

TakeitAll

Not so really . That said how this man was an adviser to a jobs minister baffles . Well no it don't all told . This kind of thing don't happen in the north does it Eagler ?? You know that thing where an adviser is appointed by a Minister and the adviser never , ever worked in the Minister's area of responsibility ???
So both the minister and her advisor are not qualified for the position they hold/held. Only in Ireland eh or is it? What qualifies some bloke who reads the news to advise on anything apart from how to read an autocue!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sorry I can't see the last para re this 'trip' O'Connor was on that was apparently 'commercially confidential'.

I'm assuming that trip was as a private citizen and not as a Minister or public employee? I'm a bit puzzled about that because as far as I know O'Connor was a head teacher and did not have or run a private business so where's the 'commercial confidentiality' coming from?

If that trip was on expenses there should be no such thing as 'commercial confidentiality' involved.

That phrase in Irish affairs is made infamous by the Central Bank who use it with wild abandon to tell people to f*ck off whenever information is requested about any activity they don't want to talk about and in truth it is much more of a deliberate get out clause in not answering any questions at all.

I see no reason in MMOCs case why she should need to hide behind 'commercial confidentiality' and public servants should not be using that cover if they are on public business and being expensed by the state for such a trip.

A question is beginning to form in my mind about Ms MMOC and maybe it is a question that could be a legal issue if I outlined it here. I have to think carefully about asking but is it possible that there is some kind of personal issue in the background of her career that requires one of these 'every dog in the street' pieces of knowledge among journalists that can only be obliquely referred to in the papers?

Is there something else going on here (and please think carefully in response as the question is rhetorical rather than seeking to get someone or the site into legal/defamation issues)?

Let me ask another way. Was the trip concerned very recent and to London by any chance?

jackryan

Sorry I can't see the last para re this 'trip' O'Connor was on that was apparently 'commercially confidential'.

I'm assuming that trip was as a private citizen and not as a Minister or public employee? I'm a bit puzzled about that because as far as I know O'Connor was a head teacher and did not have or run a private business so where's the 'commercial confidentiality' coming from?

If that trip was on expenses there should be no such thing as 'commercial confidentiality' involved.

That phrase in Irish affairs is made infamous by the Central Bank who use it with wild abandon to tell people to f*ck off whenever information is requested about any activity they don't want to talk about and in truth it is much more of a deliberate get out clause in not answering any questions at all.

I see no reason in MMOCs case why she should need to hide behind 'commercial confidentiality' and public servants should not be using that cover if they are on public business and being expensed by the state for such a trip.

A question is beginning to form in my mind about Ms MMOC and maybe it is a question that could be a legal issue if I outlined it here. I have to think carefully about asking but is it possible that there is some kind of personal issue in the background of her career that requires one of these 'every dog in the street' pieces of knowledge among journalists that can only be obliquely referred to in the papers?

Is there something else going on here (and please think carefully in response as the question is rhetorical rather than seeking to get someone or the site into legal/defamation issues)?

Let me ask another way. Was the trip concerned very recent and to London by any chance?
One reason that it might be a commercially sensitive trip would be that they are trying to entice a company to set up here? They are in competition with other countries for the jobs I suppose!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
One reason that it might be a commercially sensitive trip would be that they are trying to entice a company to set up here? They are in competition with other countries for the jobs I suppose!
Well unless MMOC or the company involved are in the habit of running to the press with detailed minutes of a private meeting I don't see what advantage could be gained by a competitor.

It would hardly be news that roils the market (as our American cousins are apt to describe volatility, the bastards) that a politician is lobbying a large computer or pharma player to set up in Ireland. I'm sure MMOC would not require medical attention for the vapours if it was bruited about that a Polish minister had also met with the company concerned.

Nothing commercially confidential in that routine. The only time that would need to be kept under wraps would be if Mary was armed with a bribe that would interest European competition authorities and I would hesitate to draw that conclusion. Knowing Irish politicians it will be either an attempt to self-aggrandise and convey the impression they stride the business world like a colossus (unlikely in a teacher) or a cover for something else.

Vega1447

Given mmoc's age what you appear to be hinting at is very unlikely.

Analyzer

MMOC should have hired the sports presenter from TV3.

A man whose expertise is discussing grownups following a polystyrene sphere around the field for two hours, would conclude that MMOC was a genius.

Last edited:

Analyzer

MMOC - appointed so that EK would have a higher IQ than the cabinet average.

Another (former) Ponzi-Democrat southside disaster.

wexfordman

You know, I was hoping that that wasn't what the poster was alluding to, and instead thinking it was my own paranoia, surely even p.ie could not sleep that low.

The mods need to sort this out immediately, and the posts deleted, irrespective of how you feel about mmoc, this is absolutely diagusting

Edit. I reported said post to the mods. Let's hope some shred of decency emerges.

Analyzer

She is out of depth in grasping the problem with tightening margins in many enterprises as a the current high cost of business and Brexit.

Jobs are leaving the econony. And still state derived costs are stubbornly high. A low direct tax rate only works if the business makes a profit. High indirect taxes are needed by an expensive greedy institutional state.

If MMOC were to demand that Noonan fix that probkem, the maFFia would go ballistic.

freewillie

God love you but you have little experience of the world

Spanner Island

The OP obviously despises Mary Mitchell O'Connor.

That he's allowed create thread after thread to indulge his hatred of her is just sad and pathetic.

cyp - message received you boring gobsh!te.

Personally I'm not a fan of teachers becoming politicians. We've far too many of them in the Dail and they tend to be not very good... which is why I won't vote for anyone who has a teaching background.

At the very least the scandal that teachers' jobs are held for them for as long as they can keep getting re-elected should stop.

If teachers want a political career they should have to take a gamble just like everyone else has to.

Fullforward

I wonder if he will be replaced by someone from the school of motoring.

Florence

I understand Cantwell was a press adviser not a special adviser who (in theory) has knowledge of the ministerial brief and advises accordingly. All govt depts have a press office yet AFAIK all Ministers appoint a press adviser just for him/her.

Has anyone any idea what Tv3 would be paying newsreaders?

Socratus O' Pericles

MMOC - appointed so that EK would have a higher IQ than the cabinet average.

Another (former) Ponzi-Democrat southside disaster.
She's from Galway, only a bleedin' blow in here!

Roberto Jordan

If teachers want a political career they should have to take a gamble just like everyone else has to.
Not a big fan of the huge number of teachers either BUT which politicians exactly do you think took a gamble??

How many sitting TDS were employees/ PAYE workers before election? ( and I am deliberating excluding teachers from this due to the aforementioned ability to retain their positions )And if those how many ran as newcomers , as opposed to "inheritors" of family seats? And of the remainder how many were not in "politicized" jobs working directly for a party or a state agency ?

As far as I can see very few fit in the above ....Simon Donnelly maybe - what others?

I don't think that one has to elect someone just like ones self in order tone rrspresented but the fact is the vast bulk of the electorate that are or live in PAYE supported households are entirely absent as a demographic.

Therefore maybe it would actually be good if al employees had the protection teachers have ( though I believe this would be entry impractical )

We are led to believe that diversity is a good thing but hard to imagine having factory workers, chemical engineers, computer scientists, fitters or shop workers filling the benches too soon....

Dedogs

she was gettin her nails done and then they had to show her pictures sos she could tell a cow from a sheep.... ;););)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies