• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Alan Clancy and IRA Financing

Casualbets

Hi, I'm doing a bit of research into Alan Clancy... the two main things I know about him so far is that he played a bit part in the Arms Crisis when Blaney considered importing arms from America and Clancy - who owned a group of bars in New York - set up a bank account to facilitate the transfer of money. The deal came to nothing when Blaney instead chose to deal with Albert Luykx.

He then reappears in the 1980s when he was setting up a pig factory in Louth in the 1980s, and the government of the day (Michael Noonan the relevant minister) froze £1.7 million in an account under Clancy's name which led to lengthy legal action.

I hear in his personal life he was a bit of a laughing cavalier, fond of both the beer and the women. Can anyone fill me in a bit more on either his person and/or political life? And indeed were any of the other Clancys involved in the Republican Movement and/or wider politics? The family originally came from outside Virginia in Cavan.

Bleu Poppy

Can I ask why your researchin my grandfather. Hes not from cavan so your wrong on that. Little that you seem to think you know is incorrect.
And you cannot spell, you strangulate the English language, and your [please note the correct usage of this word] grammar is appalling.

ocoonassa

And you cannot spell, you strangulate the English language, and your [please note the correct usage of this word] grammar is appalling.
Funny, I was just thinking of you on another thread.

Casualbets

Can I ask why your researchin my grandfather. Hes not from cavan so your wrong on that. Little that you seem to think you know is incorrect.
The Clancy family were from Burrencarragh Cavan (just outside Virginia) although I think AC may have been raised in Monaghan by his grandmother... I'm an inlaw... doing genealogical research on the Clancys... and obviously the tie-in with momentous political and historical events is interesting...

Incidentally, AC's uncle Owen Hoey was an RIC constable whose was shot dead in a targeted attack in Dolphin's Barn just weeks before the truce in 1921.

lecheile

Yes this is true he was raised by his grandmother(Hoey) in Monaghan, yes his uncle Owen was shot in Dublin on his way to propose to his girlfriend, as far as im aware it was never really clear who shot him......

Casualbets

Yes this is true he was raised by his grandmother(Hoey) in Monaghan, yes his uncle Owen was shot in Dublin on his way to propose to his girlfriend, as far as im aware it was never really clear who shot him......
You'd have to presume it was rebels - given he was RIC and not DMP he was hardly posted there was he? I don't know if he was going to his girlfriends but apparently he was coming from his sister's house in the area (she was recently married). Are you related to the Hoeys/Clancys yourself Lecheile? I have traced both families back a bit....

lecheile

You'd have to presume it was rebels - given he was RIC and not DMP he was hardly posted there was he? I don't know if he was going to his girlfriends but apparently he was coming from his sister's house in the area (she was recently married). Are you related to the Hoeys/Clancys yourself Lecheile? I have traced both families back a bit....
Yes i have a little info on the Hoeys but not so much on the Clancys. I wud be interested on what you have found

S

SeamusNapoleon

It's not much, but if you have the Irish Times archive, there are two specific articles on this: 25 February 1985, 'IRA may have got money from insurance firm' & 5 May 1988, 'Money for pig exporting of funds to help the IRA?'

S

SeamusNapoleon

Also, there is an issue of Magill (21 March 1985) which has an article on Clancy and IRA financing.

tokkie

What do you mean by "never really clear who shot him" ?? Was he shot by other than the IRA?

naclancy

The Clancy family were from Burrencarragh Cavan (just outside Virginia) although I think AC may have been raised in Monaghan by his grandmother... I'm an inlaw... doing genealogical research on the Clancys... and obviously the tie-in with momentous political and historical events is interesting...

Incidentally, AC's uncle Owen Hoey was an RIC constable whose was shot dead in a targeted attack in Dolphin's Barn just weeks before the truce in 1921.
Well im Niall, Alan Clancy Jr's son. Wouldnt it be easier asking your spouse about him if you are an inlaw. Hes from Monaghan think its Ballyhoe area the house he grew up in. Not sure which brothers grew up where but they all didnt grow up together.

Lain2016

Jayzes, that'd make a good ballad petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies