Alan Dukes to head new FG policy commission

Universal_001

Active member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
222
The one they put forward was a rollback of the proper Universal Insurance plan you had in 2002.

So in 2012 will you be more than "we'll go the same only better"?
 


pfkf1

Member
Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
20
hiker said:
Universal_001 said:
While its nice to see them standing for something diffrent (or trying to anyway) I do find it odd that decades after forming they're only now wondering what they stand for...why get into politics at all if you don't know exactly what you'd do dfffrently?

On Universal Healthcare, the wiki article on UH claims the USA is the only developed country without it....but we don't have it!
Theres around 20% of the population not covered by Insurance or Medical Cards.
Look, you cant slap down every effort made by FG to be relevent. And this is one that I think is worth a pop. They are surfing the wave of anti-HSE that is sweeping the nation this year.
Thats politics and no more than I would expect

but

it is also a very good exercise id public service/information. It could show that just because you are in oppostion for ever does not mean you have nothing to offer.

I look forward to this commision and its discussion. Its much needed and if there are some good recommendations from it then of course Mary Harney should look at taking them and implementing them.

Thats why she is in government; to listen to good ideas and try to support them.

Is that some back handed insult there about being relevant from a 2% party with 2 TDs, one of which wants to be in FF and the other retiring after the next GE, the PDs have no mandate for what they are doing in health, they are holding this country to ransom over health, and the sooner the cancer of the PDs is removed from Irish politics (followed closely out the door by FF) this country will be better off.
 

Rocky

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
8,584
Universal_001 said:
The one they put forward was a rollback of the proper Universal Insurance plan you had in 2002.

So in 2012 will you be more than "we'll go the same only better"?
I have no idea what FG's health policy will be in 2012. However I would like to see a Universal Health Insurance plan of some sort.

The idea behind FG's policy in the last election was a phased introduction of Universal Health Insurance starting with all children under 15 because the party felt that if you brought in Universal Health Insurance for everyone at the same time the system would collapse.
 

adrem

Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
924
Universal_001 said:
On Universal Healthcare, the wiki article on UH claims the USA is the only developed country without it....but we don't have it!
Theres around 20% of the population not covered by Insurance or Medical Cards.
Whilst our public health system is clearly not working, technically it is available to all so is by definition a universal health system (albeit disfunctional).
 

Universal_001

Active member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
222
it's not available to all, the GP costs at least 50euro and an &%e visit costs 60euro.
Im sure operations etc cost money too.
If it was available to all what would be the point of private insurance? to get a nice room to yourself and some decent food?
 

Apparatchik

Active member
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
169
adrem said:
Universal_001 said:
On Universal Healthcare, the wiki article on UH claims the USA is the only developed country without it....but we don't have it!
Theres around 20% of the population not covered by Insurance or Medical Cards.
Whilst our public health system is clearly not working, technically it is available to all so is by definition a universal health system (albeit disfunctional).
A Tallaght Strategy for Health: FG keeps quiet while the government sacks all the middle managers Martin appointed. The HSE is trimmed to half its size. Everything from neurosurgery to moping floors is privatised. Its a huge success. Fianna Fail – with Harney back onside – win every election for the next 25 years.
 

Universal_001

Active member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
222
Yes, driving up the costs through privatization, thats a real winner
 

Rocky

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
8,584
Universal_001 said:
it's not available to all, the GP costs at least 50euro and an &%e visit costs 60euro.
Im sure operations etc cost money too.
If it was available to all what would be the point of private insurance? to get a nice room to yourself and some decent food?
No free health care through a hospital is technically available to all in Ireland. The main reason why people get private insurance is to avoid massive waiting lists, which many people i.e. Susie Long have died on, while waiting for operations. I also believe that you get a better room, odds are a better doctor and a better service all round.
 

Universal_001

Active member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
222
Which is why a public health care system with a consultant provided rather than just consultant led service is what we need.
A single payer system should not prevent people from paying extra for their own room if they want, as long as everyones getting equal treatment on a single waiting list
 

aodh_rua

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
187
Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Universal_001 said:
Which is why a public health care system with a consultant provided rather than just consultant led service is what we need.
A single payer system should not prevent people from paying extra for their own room if they want, as long as everyones getting equal treatment on a single waiting list
A good analogy is paying extra for business class on a flight but getting there at the same time as someone in economy.
 

hiker

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
1,950
pfkf1 said:
hiker said:
Universal_001 said:
While its nice to see them standing for something diffrent (or trying to anyway) I do find it odd that decades after forming they're only now wondering what they stand for...why get into politics at all if you don't know exactly what you'd do dfffrently?

On Universal Healthcare, the wiki article on UH claims the USA is the only developed country without it....but we don't have it!
Theres around 20% of the population not covered by Insurance or Medical Cards.
Look, you cant slap down every effort made by FG to be relevent. And this is one that I think is worth a pop. They are surfing the wave of anti-HSE that is sweeping the nation this year.
Thats politics and no more than I would expect

but

it is also a very good exercise id public service/information. It could show that just because you are in oppostion for ever does not mean you have nothing to offer.

I look forward to this commision and its discussion. Its much needed and if there are some good recommendations from it then of course Mary Harney should look at taking them and implementing them.

Thats why she is in government; to listen to good ideas and try to support them.

Is that some back handed insult there about being relevant from a 2% party with 2 TDs, one of which wants to be in FF and the other retiring after the next GE, the PDs have no mandate for what they are doing in health, they are holding this country to ransom over health, and the sooner the cancer of the PDs is removed from Irish politics (followed closely out the door by FF) this country will be better off.
Now thats more like what I expect from FG. :)

I really hope you are nowhere near Mr Dukes Commision. It would be a shame to have dragged down by this level of political intellect.
 

just_society

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2007
Messages
31
Very smart move by Enda Kenny and FG.

Dukes is one of the most respected politicians to have ever held office. As the economy most likely worsens, it will encourage voters that FG can manage the economy more efficiently and effectively than FF/PD/GP.
 

Universal_001

Active member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
222
aodh_rua said:
[quote="Universal_001":wahf9rnx]Which is why a public health care system with a consultant provided rather than just consultant led service is what we need.
A single payer system should not prevent people from paying extra for their own room if they want, as long as everyones getting equal treatment on a single waiting list
A good analogy is paying extra for business class on a flight but getting there at the same time as someone in economy.[/quote:wahf9rnx]

Yep.
Ultimately everyone receiving treatment based on their medical needs not ability to pay is the point, fancy extras are not particularly harmful to anyone, as long as those who want them are paying for them themselves, not draining resources from the essentials in the system.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top