Alan Kelly to run for Labour in Tipp North

enby

Replacements are Arthur Spring and Phil Prendergast

bn

Alan Kelly should take a seat easily given his showing in the European election

The Dude

Could Lowry be in trouble? A FG/Labour coalition wont look to independents. His power in the next Dáil will be very very limited

Sierra

Could Lowry be in trouble? A FG/Labour coalition wont look to independents. His power in the next Dáil will be very very limited
Lowry will top the poll, but Kelly should be a shoe in too.

Replacements are Arthur Spring and Phil Prendergast
According to this link, Replacement Candidates South Constituency

his replacement list is:

1. SPRING, ARTHUR J
2. PRENDERGAST, PHIL
3. LEDDIN, JOE
4. O'DOWD, VIRGINIA
5. KHAN, MARK

Obviously this is wild speculation and early days (but that never stopped anyone on politics.ie before), but we could end up with a 'Bernie Malone' situation here. I think that it would generally be agreed that if Labour's poll figures hold up, Alan Kelly, Arthur Spring and Phil Prendergast are shoe ins. Joe Leddin can't be ruled out, so Labour could end up with Virginia O'Dowd MEP. People - Cllr Virginia O'Dowd - Home Page

She hasn't exactly got a great electoral record...

ElectionsIreland.org: Virginia O'Dowd

gijoe

IIRC did Alan Kelly not give an absolute commitment to the electorate that if elected to the Euro Parl that we would see out his 5 year term and no seek election to the Dail?

CorkHurler

According to this link, Replacement Candidates South Constituency

his replacement list is:

1. SPRING, ARTHUR J
2. PRENDERGAST, PHIL
3. LEDDIN, JOE
4. O'DOWD, VIRGINIA
5. KHAN, MARK

Obviously this is wild speculation and early days (but that never stopped anyone on politics.ie before), but we could end up with a 'Bernie Malone' situation here. I think that it would generally be agreed that if Labour's poll figures hold up, Alan Kelly, Arthur Spring and Phil Prendergast are shoe ins. Joe Leddin can't be ruled out, so Labour could end up with Virginia O'Dowd MEP. People - Cllr Virginia O'Dowd - Home Page

She hasn't exactly got a great electoral record...

ElectionsIreland.org: Virginia O'Dowd
I've never heard of Joe Leddin or Virginia O'Dowd but I know Mark Khan as a Labour activist in Cork South Central and he would make a fine MEP. He might be a bit shocked to find how close he is to becoming one.

Sierra

IIRC did Alan Kelly not give an absolute commitment to the electorate that if elected to the Euro Parl that we would see out his 5 year term and no seek election to the Dail?
Correct, he was insisting on it when canvassing.

CorkHurler

By my reckoning only Bernie Malone and Prionsias de Rossa have ever served full terms in the European parliament for Labour after being elected. Liam Kavanagh, John O'Conell, Michael O'Leary, Eileen Desmond and Barry Desmond all bailed out when they got better offers.

Sierra

Also just to note - all three of Alan Kelly's consituency offices are located in North Tipperary. He is supposed to be representing the people of Limerick, Cork, Kerry, South Tipperary and North Tipperary collectively.

http://www.alankelly.ie/clinics/

What a farce.

LgCastell

i dont mind that hes coming back form Europe because i think he'd be an asset to the govenrment re CAP and agriculture dept

Personally i'd prefer to see him elected in the Dail

Skyrocket

First thing on his website is "meeting President Bill Clinton". First impression is that this guy is a name-dropping social climber primarily interested in himself rather than the greater good of his constituents.

PrinceMax

I reckon he'll take it, unfortunately with Lowry and a FF'er taking the other two. This will be one where FG lose out.

CorkHurler

As he is supposed to be an MEP its strange that the only area of his constituency that merits its own tab on his website is Tipp North. It seems like he was planning to cut and run from an early stage.

jacko

He's been very impressive on the EU issues regarding Anglo and the banks and also on CAP reform and also showing up govt lack of knowledge on EU funding (Dell, Waterford, Flooding in cork etc)

Finally the people of Tipp have someone to vote for who is likely to end up as a Minister

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies