• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Alan Shatter is an idiot

salt

'The PDs are nothing more than a party of hustlers, drifters and con artists' - former TD and Dublin South candidate, Alan Shatter

Ok it may go down with a roar of support amounst the FG members at conference but it is a stupid statement in my view.

Before I supported the PDs I gave Alan Shatter a number 1 in two elections.He also got high transfers in our household of 5 voters.

After these comments he wont get a transfer in our house. i doubt he will get many transfers from any of the 200 plus PD members in Dublin South.

Given he has a lot of work to do to win back his seat,why alienate transfers from people like me who would have been FG friendly?

Is there a logic to it?

Pidge

salt said:
Is there a logic to it?
Attacking the government is kind of his job. With the PDs being in government, this doesn't seem all that irrational.

Smashey

Website
www.freewebs.com
200+ PD members in Dublin South :shock:

Where have you all been hiding then? Shatter isn't running for the PDs, in fact it was probably Liz O'Donnell that cost him his seat last time, of course he is going to come out with this sort of statement.

Since he was selected to run for Fine Gael last Autumn he has stated that he is after the PD seat and is intent on removing Liz O'Donnell from office, the PDs are now a redundant party reliant on McDowell for a few vociferous soundbites!

I would strongly agree with Alan here especially in relation to the PDs being a party of drifters

Website
www.finfacts.com
I this a direct quote and where does it come from?

eurocrat

Pidge said:
Attacking the government is kind of his job. With the PDs being in government, this doesn't seem all that irrational.
He should be a little more careful when it comes to attracting potential transfer votes. PD types would be prone to vote for Shatter generally. Maybe this is why he lost his seat in the first place.

Its just a bit of usual political guff I guess, but here he is attacking the actual members (and supporters) of the party rather than the policies of the party in government.

Calling an entire group of people 'con-artists' is a bit much. Then again Shatter is known to be just a tad arrogant every now and again.

Gladstone

They've degenerated to a single issue (tax) party with no ideas on anything else.

qtman

Smashey said:
2002 PD FPVs Dublin South

O'Donnell, Liz (PDs) 8,288

Votes (particularly the unsplit variety) tend to make more of a difference than members....

salt

Smashey said:

Where have you all been hiding then? Shatter isn't running for the PDs, in fact it was probably Liz O'Donnell that cost him his seat last time, of course he is going to come out with this sort of statement.

Since he was selected to run for Fine Gael last Autumn he has stated that he is after the PD seat and is intent on removing Liz O'Donnell from office, the PDs are now a redundant party reliant on McDowell for a few vociferous soundbites!

I would strongly agree with Alan here especially in relation to the PDs being a party of drifters
I think your missing my point.To get elected you need many number 1s and transfers.Hes lost 3-5 transfers in my house,and there are many PD members and supporters and voters. You can be agaisnt the PDs in government and their policies,but where you have a natural pool of transfers why go out of yer way to remove them.

I ve no doubt Jim O Leary will be laughing at this. You dont hear Olivia Mitchell or Jim O Leary saying this.

Theres an average 10% of the people ion Dublin South who support the PDs he is saying that they vote for con artists.

salt

Gladstone said:
They've degenerated to a single issue (tax) party with no ideas on anything else.
**** off out of this thread or stick to the subject

salt

MichaelHennigan said:
I this a direct quote and where does it come from?
Todays indo,I hope you arnt going to use it on the front of yer site?

Gladstone

salt said:
Gladstone said:
f*** off out of this thread or stick to the subject
I am on topic.

I don't see how the PDs are con artists.

They are one hit wonders tho, is tax cuts and privatisation going to be their soloution to every single problem?

salt

rover said:
salt said:
Hes lost 3-5 transfers in my house
:shock:
Rainbow in ruins!
Not quite but as he lost his seat and is loosing transfers if FG are to get a second seat it will be Jim O Leary rather than Shatter.

CJH

eurocrat said:
Then again Shatter is known to be just a tad arrogant every now and again.
Understatement of the year. He is a most unattractive creature. Along with MacEoichaidh, he is a snobbish, arrogant, conceited, self-important, pompous lawyer. I hope he doesn't get elected.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Wouldn't be the first rubbish spoken by FG in their history.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
The logic might be that he is going after the Green/Labour/Left transfers in order to get elected.

I know people are talking about him losing transfers from PD folks, but unless Liz tops the poll with a substantial surplus on the first count then her transfers will never be in play, unless she is eliminated while the left leaning smaller candidates will be in play much earlier. And there are some previous Fgers (even if it was only 5/10% of her total) who voted for Liz and he needs to tempt them back in order to get ahead of the left candidates.

zakalwe

He is a most unattractive creature. Along with MacEoichaidh, he is a snobbish, arrogant, conceited, self-important, pompous lawyer. I hope he doesn't get elected.
while i don't know that much about shatter, i think maceoichaidh deserves a little credit for putting his money where his mouth is.

do not forget that it was maceoichaidh who put a reward up for any information about the curruption going on in the planning process when the people in the know decided that the public need not know.

where it not for him the cretinous reptiles like burke, gogharty and lawlor would still be pillars of our society and the brown envelope culture that has made a mockery of urban development plans and proper town planning would still be in existance.

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
salt said:
Theres an average 10% of the people ion Dublin South who support the PDs he is saying that they vote for con artists.
I'm guessing he's working on the assumption that a significant number of them are disillusioned with the PDs for one reason or another, and he's trying to pick up those voters who were "soft" PDs last time and only put them in to keep manners on FF.