Alan Shatter , PamIgate & the courage to tell the truth

Catalpa

As the Scandal over the Fraud attempted on the State in the ongoing case of Pamela Izevbekhai unravels it might be of interest to note that Alan Shatter, the well know FG TD from Dublin South and considered one of the most intelligent men in Irish Politics apparently swallowed this story whole!

Beats me how a man with brains to burn could be suckered in by such an obvious Fraud and one also where IMO hardly anyone out in the real world thought this was anything other than yet another scam being perpetrated at our expense.

So is he an eejit after all then

- or maybe he thought we were?

'Pamela Izevbekhai came to Ireland in early 2005 from Nigeria with her two children, Naomi (7) and Jemima (6) .... In 1994 her daughter Elizabeth died as a result of this barbaric procedure which occurred as a consequence of pressure imposed on her by her mother in-law and other in-laws. Pamela fears her daughters Naomi and Jemima could suffer a similar fate.'

Alan Shatter - Better Politics (Fine Gael as a General Election Candidate in Dublin South)

On his Site he states that he has 'the courage to tell the truth about issues, even when the truth hurts'

The truth always hurts Alan!

Eorna

From what I have heard from a friend that works in the Dept. of Foreign affairs, that it was widely known that it was a scam for a long time, but it was just so damn trendy, and it was a great topic to talk about, at dinner parties. Remember a lot of the people that backed her, would have allowed this to cloud their better judgement.

Geekzilla

As the Scandal over the Fraud attempted on the State in the ongoing case of Pamela Izevbekhai unravels it might be of interest to note that Alan Shatter, the well know FG TD from Dublin South and considered one of the most intelligent men in Irish Politics apparently swallowed this story whole!

Beats me how a man with brains to burn could be suckered in by such an obvious Fraud and one also where IMO hardly anyone out in the real world thought this was anything other than yet another scam being perpetrated at our expense.

So is he an eejit after all then

- or maybe he thought we were?
Or maybe he's human and made a genuine mistake.

Odyessus

bit harsh on shatter there. lot more than him suckered.

Too many politicians and journalists repeat the claims of asylum seekers as if they were established fact, and deliberately avoid asking awkward questions. I do not accept these are honest mistakes.

Vincent Browne's tie

I remember the absolute gobsh*te of a cermony held by the Sligo Council (could have been the town council). It was on the news and Pam was getting some big special honourary award for highlighting the plight of Femal Genital Mutilation I nearly spat my tea out watching the gullible do gooders. It was honestly like some farcical episode of South Park. Everyone's political correctness/opportunism and "look how tolerant I am" foolishness caused this whole dumb debacle.

TradCat

Or maybe he's human and made a genuine mistake.
That's grand if he admits it. Smion Coveney gave the impression on Q&A that Fine Gael still support her despite the lies and forged documents.

greengoose

Too many politicians and journalists repeat the claims of asylum seekers as if they were established fact, and deliberately avoid asking awkward questions. I do not accept these are honest mistakes.
Sounds like Bertie so it does!

drbob1972

Well he stuck his neck out on this one

- so he has only himself to blame for damaging his reputation as a reliable politician.
is it not better to have politicans who stick their neck out on matters of principal / issues they believe in, nothing to gain from it personally, as opposed to the self serving parish pump gombeens that make up such a large amount if Leinster House even when they are proven wrong some times?

Catalpa

is it not better to have politicans who stick their neck out on matters of principal / issues they believe in, nothing to gain from it personally, as opposed to the self serving parish pump gombeens that make up such a large amount if Leinster House even when they are proven wrong some times?
It sure is

but I wouldn't class him as one I would admire

- especially after this.

Odyessus

But what supposedly intelligent person accepts at face value a story told by someone who has a obvious motive to lie, especially when other parts of her story are highly implausible?

drbob1972

It sure is

but I wouldn't class him as one I would admire

- especially after this.
fair enough if you don't rate him in general but is it not a tad extreme to write him off on the back of this one issue alone ?

greengoose

But what supposedly intelligent person accepts at face value a story told by someone who has a obvious motive to lie, especially when other parts of her story are highly implausible?
Most of the FF hacks accepted at face value Bert's shenanigans. McDowell did as well nd so did Gormley.

Get real!

anlkestony

That's grand if he admits it. Smion Coveney gave the impression on Q&A that Fine Gael still support her despite the lies and forged documents.

Hope they don't. Think its harsh to pinpoint shatter but anyone who uses fraudulent docs in seeking asylum have to be deported. simple as that :x

Eorna

Most of the FF hacks accepted at face value Bert's shenanigans. McDowell did as well nd so did Gormley.

Get real!
McDowell, Gormley and most FF knew very well that Bertie's story about horse betting etc,was rotten. They just didn't give a ********************. What a joke that we had such a Minister for Justice, who was happy to tolerate it.

greengoose

What has this to do with Bertie Ahern? Have you heard the term "red herring"?
I ave indeed heard that term. You would be an exponent of that fine art but that's digressing... :mrgreen:

Some clot comes on to shatter Shatter's rep with some bullcrap about his being taken in by a con artist. My point is that a good percentage of the population have been take in by infinitely more serious scams, just ask Mahon.

Then there's the Class Act who took a lot of people in. Not forgetting the Lord of the Kinseley Manor nor the Bard from Offaly.

Shatter was not in this for capital gain nor sleaze. He made an error of judgement based more on the finesse of the con artistry rather than his personal experience.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies