Alaskan incumbent considers 3rd party run

YoungLiberal

Senator Lisa Murkowski is trailing Sarah Palin backed (and chuck Norris look-a-like) Tea Party Conservative Joe Miller in the Republican Primary, in what looks like the shock result of a round of primaries that has been good to incumbents.

Joe Miller beating Lisa Murkowski in shock Alaska election result | Richard Adams | World news | guardian.co.uk

Joe Miller Leads Lisa Murkowski: Alaska GOP Primary Still Too Close To Call : The Two-Way : NPR

washingtonpost.com

However, Murkowski is considering, according to Slate, a third-party run, if she loses. Considering Miller's anti-pork stance in the state that brought us the Bridge to nowhere, and Miller's more extreme right views, it'd be hard to see him beating Murkowski again in a state election.

The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

Perhaps the big winner in all of this is Palin, who's endorsements seem to have been the kiss of death in a number of recent primaries (six, I believe):

Regardless of who prevails, the Republican primary is a sign of Palin's clout in her home state after the former governor and vice presidential candidate had suffered a string of loses recently in endorsing other candidates nationally.

Last edited:

NYCKY

Senator Lisa Murkowski is trailing Sarah Palin backed (and chuck Norris look-a-like) Tea Party Conservative Joe Miller in the Republican Primary, in what looks like the shock result of a round of primaries that has been good to incumbents.

Joe Miller beating Lisa Murkowski in shock Alaska election result | Richard Adams | World news | guardian.co.uk

Joe Miller Leads Lisa Murkowski: Alaska GOP Primary Still Too Close To Call : The Two-Way : NPR

washingtonpost.com

However, Murkowski is considering, according to Slate, a third-party run, if she loses. Considering Miller's anti-pork stance in the state that brought us the Bridge to nowhere, and Miller's more extreme right views, it'd be hard to see him beating Murkowski again in a state election.

The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

Perhaps the big winner in all of this is Palin, who's endorsements seem to have been the kiss of death in a number of recent primaries (six, I believe):
I don't agree that her endorsement has been the kiss of death for candidates. In many cases she endorsed little known candidates that had little chance of winning. Palins endorsement helped those candidates perform better (while still not winning) than they might have without her endorsement while also providing increased opportunities for financing.

YoungLiberal

I don't agree that her endorsement has been the kiss of death for candidates. In many cases she endorsed little known candidates that had little chance of winning. Palins endorsement helped those candidates perform better (while still not winning) than they might have without her endorsement while also providing increased opportunities for financing.
I don't think her endorsements were either, but they were definitely beginning to be perceived as such (Well, from what I read on the interwebs anyway).

NYCKY

Murkowski has just conceded to Joe Miller, the teaparty candidate backed by Sarah Palin.

YoungLiberal

Pauli

What does the Tuam Herald have to say about this?

NYCKY

Its possible as I understand it she has only a few days left to decide. It looks like a long shot write in candidacy. Of course she may end up splitting the Republican vote and handing the seat to the Democrat. Not even a pyrrhic victory.

YoungLiberal

Its possible as I understand it she has only a few days left to decide. It looks like a long shot write in candidacy. Of course she may end up splitting the Republican vote and handing the seat to the Democrat. Not even a pyrrhic victory.
I believe she's got until 5 days before the election itself to declare, in theory. Although, it does seem she'll need to declare soon to raise the wonga needed.

andrejsv

Lisa cant spell her own name.

What an embarrasing moment!

Lisa Murkowski recently released a campaign video to instruct people on how to go about voting for her as a write-in candidate.

Basically you have to fill the oval that says "other" and then spell her name next to it in the ballot.

The problem is that her last name tends to be misspelled so the video goes to some length to show how it is properly spelled...

And at the bottom of the screen Lisa's website is provided... with her last name spelled incorrectly.

Ha, ha, ha ,ha.... ahh. This is so painful! since this is just a minor spelling error I feel bad for her. But man! the timing just makes it so comical.

ManOfReason

What an embarrasing moment!

Lisa Murkowski recently released a campaign video to instruct people on how to go about voting for her as a write-in candidate.

Basically you have to fill the oval that says "other" and then spell her name next to it in the ballot.

The problem is that her last name tends to be misspelled so the video goes to some length to show how it is properly spelled...

And at the bottom of the screen Lisa's website is provided... with her last name spelled incorrectly.

Ha, ha, ha ,ha.... ahh. This is so painful! since this is just a minor spelling error I feel bad for her. But man! the timing just makes it so comical.

And, inevitably, we get: "ALASKA, let's make LISA MURKWSKI history!" at that url:

Home Page

:lol:

You pay for these kind of mistakes at the speed of light on the internet.

NYCKY

Murkowski pulled it off alright and put the boot into Palin too, with her not so subtle dig about Ms Palin lacking "the intellectual curiosity" to run for President.

owedtojoy

Murkowski is only the second Senate candidate in history to win in a write-in campaign. The other was the notorious racist Strom Thurmond, but that is another story. Her victory shows that the Palin "brand" is far from being invincible, even in Alaska. The fact that Miller, Angle and O'Donnell, Palin's most high-profile "picks", all failed puts a big question mark over her Presidential potential.

Wikipedia:

A write-in candidate is a candidate in an election whose name does not appear on the ballot, but for whom voters may vote nonetheless by writing in the person's name. Some states and local jurisdictions allow a voter to affix a sticker with a write-in candidate's name on it to the ballot in lieu of actually writing in the candidate's name. Write-in candidacies are sometimes a result of a candidate being legally or procedurally ineligible to run under his or her own name or party. In some cases, write-in campaigns have been organized to support a candidate who is not personally involved in running; this may be a form of draft campaign.

Write-in candidates rarely win, and votes are often cast for ineligible people or fictional characters. Some jurisdictions require write-in candidates be registered as official candidates before the election.[1] This is standard in elections with a large pool of potential candidates, as there may be multiple candidates with the same name that could be written in.

New Threads

Most Replies