• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Albert and the State Merc

stanley

Martina Devlin: Budget first -- then Government must go - Martina Devlin, Columnists - Independent.ie

In this article Devlin suggesys O'Cuiv gives up his merc and driver which costs 200k per annum, she does not go far enough.

Albert has done very well in his personal property dealings on the back of the Celtic pussy, his pet food company received handsome investments from the passports for cash scheme, he has very substantial pensions from his time as a politician, he is a wealthy man from business.

It would be a grand gesture if he gave up the merc and driver in the interests of the economy and ongoing crisis.

He should go very public with a statement and encourage others to follow same, in particular the gurrier, Ahern, from DNS.

Shame stopped Ahern from collecting a fee in Cashel, it made the attendees rethink their invitation and eventually withdraw same, one can only imagine his fury, he must have punched a few walls in that kichen he lives in on the telly.

Personally think Albert would enjoy pulling the car from under Ahern, they dont like each other as was very evident in testimonies at Mahon.

Albert can only be using the Merc for hatched, matched and despatched do's as his cognitive impairment condition renders him unfit for any political duties unless he has an Ernie Saunders recovery.

Most serving Ministers could do without this perk, time to lead by example, also any other ex Taoiseach should also give them up, taxis will suffice, time to share the pain.

Chrisco

Speaking of which, did we ever get that car back from Roddie?

controller

I can't find a link, but I seem to recall Albert stating that he could see no business justification for removing the Garda from his house....

CookieMonster

Doesn't Albert live in an apartment in the Four Seasons?

controller

....maybe it was removing his Garda Driver.........

CookieMonster

More than likely he can't remember
Reynolds has a medical condition, he's not PJ Sheeahan who, according to HBAP, is too drunk to remember things.

controller

In July 2008, it was reported that Reynolds was medically unfit to give evidence at the Mahon Tribunal because of "significant cognitive impairment".

SIGNIFICANT cognitive impairment is a term used to describe conditions affecting the brain and can include a wide range of symptoms including confusion, memory loss and speech and language problems.

However it didn't stop him releasing his biography a year later. Memory loss my hole

Albert Reynolds: My Autobiography: Amazon.co.uk: Albert Reynolds: Books

CookieMonster

In July 2008, it was reported that Reynolds was medically unfit to give evidence at the Mahon Tribunal because of "significant cognitive impairment".

SIGNIFICANT cognitive impairment is a term used to describe conditions affecting the brain and can include a wide range of symptoms including confusion, memory loss and speech and language problems.

However it didn't stop him releasing his biography a year later. Memory loss my hole

It's rather unlikely that he wrote it all, all by himself, in a year.

controller

It's rather unlikely that he wrote it all, all by himself, in a year.
True, but at the time when he was telling the tribunal that he had "bad memory" he was dictating his biography. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Dorris

For Al two bear his 'oul in public like this is a wonderful kerching, as tills toils under the weight of honey dripping, I would have cast him as Oldie Crocks though, as his natural bitchiness towards Dertie Ahernia he had bitter dealings with his pint size friend, I'm Smelling ya, twas that bad that my nose recovered before his arse did. off course not every one will agree with me, that is my intention. He won it on the hearses.

sandar

as a former taoisecah he needs the security man..whether he needs the car is another question

Asparagus

Can i borrow that as a Title for my Albert Reynolds unofficial biography -

Albert Reynolds - Memory Loss, My Hole

Its will be in a series of unofficial biographies of taoisigh like
Charles Haughey - Ben there Dunne that (and why i' was never as bad as Bertie)
Bertie Ahern - Fooling all of the people all of the time
Brian Cowen - Fear and Loathing in a galway tent (Dude where's my economy??)

Anorakphobia

Charlie
Albert
Bertie
Cowen

Jeez when you stack FF's last four like that it really is proof that you can fool all of the people all of the time.

I have little doubt Reynolds was probably a bit dodgy and unquestionably a cute hoor stroker type but when you find yourself sandwiched between the twin national disgraces of Haughey and Ahern, history will always be relatively kind to you in comparison.

showbandmanager

I have little doubt Reynolds was probably a bit dodgy and unquestionably a cute hoor stroker type but when you find yourself sandwiched between the twin national disgraces of Haughey and Ahern, history will always be relatively kind to you in comparison

While i have no time for Fianna Fail and am sure Albert was all of the above , i still wish he had been in charge during the tiger years rather than Bertie .

Mushroom

Can anyone advise whether Albert availed of the artist's tax exemption like his good pal Betie did? Presumably, given that Albert's memory was gone, his book, like the Bertie/Aldous abortion, is a work of self-serving fiction.

loner

Dosent Albert and other ex-Taoisigh also have mobile phones supplied and paid for by the Taoiseachs Dept.--when was this instituted,why , and how much is it costing us?

justme1

Doesn't Albert live in an apartment in the Four Seasons?
Albert lives on Ailesbury road in Dublin 4.
You can see the Garda cabin when you walk/drive by.
And yes his house is smaller than than the Garda cabin.