alcohol a major factor in a third of motorbike crashes

Old Mr Grouser

Breaking News

Almost a third of motorcyclists killed between 2008 and 2012 had consumed alcohol, according to a study carried out by the Road Safety Authority.

During that five-year period 983 fatal collisions occurred on Irish roads, claiming the lives of 1,077 people.

Alcohol a factor in many motorbike crashes - study
My first comment - I hope nobody is going to say, "Don't drink if you're driving", that's wrong. It should be , "If you drink don't drive; and if you're a regular drinker then don't drive at all".

Mad as Fish

Breaking News

My first comment - I hope nobody is going to say, "Don't drink if you're driving", that's wrong. It should be , "If you drink don't drive; and if you're a regular drinker then don't drive at all".
Another stinking heap of anti biking propaganda, where are the comparative figures for car drivers and note that not all the bikers are over the limit. A fairer headline would be that just over one sixth of bikers are over the limit rather than trying to suggest that are irresponsible p!ss artits.

It's total bollux with figures pulled out of the air to support an agenda rather than any sort of objective study. The article is being broadcast by RTE after all.

Old Mr Grouser

I wouldn't have a quarrel with everything you've said.

But Drink is the Curse of Ireland.

And anyone, anywhere, with a motorbike should sell it if they're a regular drinker.

GDPR

A lot of Welsh and Scottish Highlands and Islands (the Lowlanders are a totally different story) are "tea totallers" or at the very least seriously frown on drunkenness; if their attitude had been more common in Ulster Protestantism than Northern Ireland's history could have been very different indeed.

roc_

Insanity getting on a high powered motorbike after a few drinks. Over-confidence is far more likely to leap up and perhaps kill you. Then you have idiocy of the likes of the clip above where the rider is not even wearing gloves or boots let alone the other protective gear. That is something different again.

silverharp

Insanity getting on a high powered motorbike after a few drinks. Over-confidence is far more likely to leap up and perhaps kill you. Then you have idiocy of the likes of the clip above where the rider is not even wearing gloves or other protective gear. That is something different again.
years ago I'd have driven a car after 1 pint but alcohol and a bike or bicycle is lethal , your balance goes fairly quickly which doesn't matter (as much) in a car

Mad as Fish

Insanity getting on a high powered motorbike after a few drinks. Over-confidence is far more likely to leap up and perhaps kill you. Then you have idiocy of the likes of the clip above where the rider is not even wearing gloves or boots let alone the other protective gear. That is something different again.
Cue the anti biking bigotry!

I guess the webcam must have been screwed directly into his head rather than mounted on helmet and there is plenty of protective clothing that is made to look like casual wear nowadays. I have jeans with pads and a anti-friction lining that you'd be had pressed to tell from normal so really I would ask that you catch up with the times before sounding off.

Oh, and what about the car driver pulling into the bikers path and what has that video to do with drink? Unless the car driver was p!ssed of course.

Mad as Fish

I wouldn't have a quarrel with everything you've said.

But Drink is the Curse of Ireland.

And anyone, anywhere, with a motorbike should sell it if they're a regular drinker.

As should anyone with a car or gun.

'orebel

years ago I'd have driven a car after 1 pint but alcohol and a bike or bicycle is lethal , your balance goes fairly quickly which doesn't matter (as much) in a car
In almost all fatal rtas involving a motorbike the only person killed is the rider. Not so with a car.

Aindriu

It pees me off when they keep calling the rider the driver. You ride bikes and drive cars :roll:

Betson

Just talking with a few good friends over the weekend that I had not seen in years and we talked about when we use to hang out as younger lads and were drink driving all the time , one of us would drive every weekend with a loan of the parents car and would have no issues drinking 8 or 9 pints , we had a few cars pulled out of ditches and few small scrapes but miraculously nothing serious.

It is amazing we did not kill someone or ourselves , thinking back now we could not believe how stupid we were. No of us would touch a pint now if we were driving.

'orebel

I guess the webcam must have been screwed directly into his head rather than mounted on helmet and there is plenty of protective clothing that is made to look like casual wear nowadays. I have jeans with pads and a anti-friction lining that you'd be had pressed to tell from normal so really I would ask that you catch up with the times before sounding off.

Oh, and what about the car driver pulling into the bikers path and what has that video to do with drink? Unless the car driver was p!ssed of course.
Tbf, he might as well not have been wearing a helmet. It came off on impact.
Car 100% in the wrong but that crash might not have hurt as much with some decent gear on.

roc_

I'm a passionate biker. That fool wasn't even wearing gloves or boots. Anyone who thinks it is fine to ride a bike without gloves or boots shouldn't be on one in the first place.

EDIT Whatever about the conjecture of whether the video is related to drink riding or not.

Old Mr Grouser

You'll see from this Belfast Telegraph report that almost half of the fatal motorcycle crashes were in six counties - Cork, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary.

Some of you will be wondering how Kerry can be up there with Dublin which has nine times the population ...

:cool:

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

What about it?

It looks as though the car was well across the road, giving the bike rider prently of time to react, unless of course he was on the booze and his reactions were impaired. Had he no brakes?

I don't see what any of this has to do with "anti biking bigotry". If the stat is true and alcohol is a major factor in a third of fatal motorbike crashes, then what's the problem? The problem is drinking and operating a machine on the road. It really doesn;t matter if the machine is a lorry, a van, a car, a motorbike, or a horse drawn carriage.

Mad as Fish

I'm a passionate biker. That fool wasn't even wearing gloves or boots. Anyone who thinks it is fine to ride a bike without gloves or boots shouldn't be on one in the first place.

EDIT Whatever about the conjecture of whether the video is related to drink riding or not.
Fair do's, I'm a biker myself as you've probably sussed.

It's worth pointing out to non bikers that the video was not taken in Ireland and you won't catch many Irish bikers riding without protective gear of some sort, there is an element of course that shun such items as there will be exceptions to everything in life, but should we confine everyone to a the same narrow boundaries? I'm not sure of the motivation for including it, perhaps the poster might explain?

Mad as Fish

What about it?

It looks as though the car was well across the road, giving the bike rider prently of time to react, unless of course he was on the booze and his reactions were impaired. Had he no brakes?

I don't see what any of this has to do with "anti biking bigotry". If the stat is true and alcohol is a major factor in a third of fatal motorbike crashes, then what's the problem? The problem is drinking and operating a machine on the road. It really doesn;t matter if the machine is a lorry, a van, a car, a motorbike, or a horse drawn carriage.
Where is the assertion that alcohol is a major factor in one third of bike fatalities supported in the text of the article?

Seanie Lemass

Crashed car years ago - into wall thankfully rather another car or a person - after being drinking for ten hours day before.

Had slept for maybe 3 hours but was still not in fit state. It is inexcusable really.

Old Mr Grouser

Where is the assertion that alcohol is a major factor in one third of bike fatalities supported in the text of the article?
I was going by the RTE report.

According to the Belfast Telegaph it's 29% - less than , but almost a third.

[video=youtube;SXS2sCItvYI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXS2sCItvYI[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies