Alcohol 'most harmful drug'.

TonyBird

If marijuana were to be legalized then the State would be spending a fortune on the regulatory infrastructure that would inevitably have to be built around the sale and supply of the drug. .
We already spend a fortune 'regulating' it . This regulation has been a massive waste of time and resources . It has been a failure . Decriminalisation is the only logical way forward .

Pastradamus

Sorry, but no. There is no way Alcohol is as destructive as Heroin. The problem with Alcohol is the prevalence of it in society. How many alcoholics do we all know? 10? 20? 50?

On the other hand how many heroin addicts do we know? I can only think of one guy right now. In my opinion if there were as much heroin addicts as there were alcoholics society would be in absolute chaos and a million times worse than it is right now with the mass amount of alcoholics we have here in Ireland. I mean how much trouble does the comparatively small amount of Heroin addicts cause in relation to the Massive amount of Alcoholics?

The bottom line is that pound for pound the heroin addict is far more destructive to society as a whole entity.

Luigi Vampa

Study: Alcohol 'most harmful drug,' followed by crack and heroin.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/01/alcohol.harm/index.html?hpt=C1

Interesting results when you consider the wider implications of alcohol (beyond the user).
No doubt this report will be attacked by the various VIs, but for the moment, it puts it in perspective.
A good reminder, but nothing new. Just ask the generations of Irish families that have had their lives ruined by alcohol and hushed it up as best they could.

The trick of alcohol is it fools the unwary into thinking they can handle a certain level and it wont affect them, yet each of us has an individual trigger level when it comes to alcohol addiction, and once crossed there is no going back.

"Fist the man takes a drink, then drink takes a drink, then drink takes the man"

Luigi Vampa

Sorry, but no. There is no way Alcohol is as destructive as Heroin. The problem with Alcohol is the prevalence of it in society. How many alcoholics do we all know? 10? 20? 50?

On the other hand how many heroin addicts do we know? I can only think of one guy right now. In my opinion if there were as much heroin addicts as there were alcoholics society would be in absolute chaos and a million times worse than it is right now with the mass amount of alcoholics we have here in Ireland. I mean how much trouble does the comparatively small amount of Heroin addicts cause in relation to the Massive amount of Alcoholics?

The bottom line is that pound for pound the heroin addict is far more destructive to society as a whole entity.
You may not have noticed, but I lost count of how many times you contradicted yourself in that paragraph.

Aprilfly

We need to find a new way to lessen the cost of alcohol abuse on Irish society.
I have a plan...... Will formulate and publish here over w-end.

Goodbody

As a reformed addict of many things, I don't see any goodness in any drugs, including alcohol. They all destroy the human spirit to a greater or lesser extent. Put down the bottle and pick up the football or the hurley or the bicycle. The weather here is a curse though. It takes a real effort to play sports in a cold stormy gale. Perhaps that has a lot to do with the drinking here.

Last edited:

paulp

the report didn't talk about pound for pound
try reading the report and then commenting

thegreyfox

Has anybody who has commented actually read the report yet?
I did and agree in principal to whats said.In reality if they try to tax it out of reach alcohol will go black market as cigarettes did.As with all drugs I think education and help for those abusing maybe the best option.

Old Mr Grouser

Has anybody who has commented actually read the report yet?
I have not read it, Ecoturin. I don't have access.

It's in the Lancet, and also available, but only to qualified medical men, at the Lancet website.

But the report from the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs is giving the opinions of experts in various fields who have weighed the physical, psychological, and social problems caused by the drugs and determined that alcohol was the most harmful overall.

The Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs is an independent body; Professor David Nutt is a prominent member.

The study was funded by the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies a very reputable organisation.

Old Mr Grouser

I did and agree in principal to whats said.In reality if they try to tax it out of reach alcohol will go black market as cigarettes did.As with all drugs I think education and help for those abusing maybe the best option.
Here in London Tesco stores are now asking alcohol-purchasers for proof-of-age if they look under 25.

But the age for buying, or consuming alcohol, needs to be raised to 21.

It's only in recent years that medical research has started to uncover the irreversible harm done to unborn babies if the mother drinks. You do have to wonder how many handicapped people classed as having genetic disorders are actually victims of FASD.

Old Mr Grouser

Well Alcohol is an awful problem in this country ... The only cure to this problem is to legalise Marijuana...
But one of the reasons that Alcohol does such harm is that it is a 'Gateway Drug', as is Tobacco: alcohol-use leads on to the use of other drugs.

Please have a look at this US Alcohol Alert -http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/Publications/AlcoholAlerts/Documents/AA76.pdf

This is from the start of it -

"Drug and alcohol dependence often go hand in hand.

Research shows that people who are dependent on alcohol are much more likely than the general population to use drugs, and people with drug dependence are much more likely to drink alcohol. For example, ... of 248 alcoholics seeking treatment, 64 percent met the criteria for a drug use disorder at some point in their lifetime.

Patients with co-occurring alcohol and other drug use disorders also are likely to have more severe dependence-related problems than those without combined disorders—that is, they meet a higher number of diagnostic criteria for each disorder (three out of seven criteria are required to meet the diagnosis of dependence).

People with co-occurring alcohol and other drug use disorders are more likely to have psychiatric disorders such as personality, mood, and anxiety disorders; they are more likely to attempt suicide and to suffer health problems.

People who use both alcohol and drugs also are at risk for dangerous interactions between these substances."

Alcohol is destroying decent people. But it's a similar situation with tobacco, cocaine and all the rest.

Last edited:

Old Mr Grouser

The Alcohol situation is bad now, but if nothing is done it's likely to get worse.

Apparently alcohol can be made in a powdered form.

It can then be added to water to make an alcoholic drink, or added to food 'to give it a kick' - or the powder could be inhaled up into the nostrils.

Here's a video describing the product -

[video=youtube;Ao1wHa6U8FY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao1wHa6U8FY[/video]

UPDATE: Feds Say Powdered Liquor Not Actually Legal : The Salt : NPR

SideysGhost

ZOMG dem childers is snorting alcoholz, we is dooooooomed!

[video=youtube;WwylBRucU7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwylBRucU7w[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies