All-Irish naming policy voted on in Fingal

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
Great about the schools. Great that this anti-freedom policy is also not being implemented. Happy days.
Freedom to give developers the power to give new areas stupid English names? Because that has happened a lot down through the years.

YoungLiberal

Freedom to give developers the power to give new areas stupid English names? Because that has happened a lot down through the years.
Sure. Freedom for individuals to name their developments whatever they like. Just because you don't like a name, or think it's stupid, doesn't mean it is. What happens if a council bans Irish names, because they think they're stupid? You could hardly object.

new jewell

Just been reading this thread and even though I have very little Irish I wish Darren all the best in his campaigns,and Darren dont mind the distracters they do not believe in anything and are best ignored. You have to actually do things to get results, opinions count for nothing.

YoungLiberal

Just been reading this thread and even though I have very little Irish I wish Darren all the best in his campaigns,and Darren dont mind the distracters they do not believe in anything and are best ignored. You have to actually do things to get results, opinions count for nothing.
What does that even mean?

Panopticon

I also don't understand what that could mean. All we have said is that banning people from naming things what they like is an illiberal policy and a violation of people's freedom to live as they see fit.

How about an all-Irish naming policy on children?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Sure. Freedom for individuals to name their developments whatever they like. Just because you don't like a name, or think it's stupid, doesn't mean it is. What happens if a council bans Irish names, because they think they're stupid? You could hardly object.
Irish names are banned in Northern Ireland. The majority of people in NI have self-determined through being in the UK that they don't want Irish language names for new areas. I hope and expect that Irish will grow there and that in future years councils will be able to name new areas in Irish. Councillors i.e. public representatives have voted in Dublin City, Galway City, South Dublin County Council, Shannon, Navan and most recently (although the motion, although passed, is going to a committee now) in Cork City have voted to name new developments in Irish. The developers can come up with their own names in Irish in these places and provided they have some historical or geographical relevance I would presume that the councils will accept them.

The bottom line is that most of our residential areas are named primarily in English and for me I believe in supporting the growth of the Irish language.

YoungLiberal

Irish names are banned in Northern Ireland. The majority of people in NI have self-determined through being in the UK that they don't want Irish language names for new areas. I hope and expect that Irish will grow there and that in future years councils will be able to name new areas in Irish. Councillors i.e. public representatives have voted in Dublin City, Galway City, South Dublin County Council, Shannon, Navan and most recently (although the motion, although passed, is going to a committee now) in Cork City have voted to name new developments in Irish. The developers can come up with their own names in Irish in these places and provided they have some historical or geographical relevance I would presume that the councils will accept them.

The bottom line is that most of our residential areas are named primarily in English and for me I believe in supporting the growth of the Irish language.
Well, at least you acknowledge that you're merely a mirror image of the Unionist whose hates the Irish language. United in your illiberalism and the contempt for the rights of individuals, in pursuance of your respective attempts of cultural imposition.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Well, at least you acknowledge that you're merely a mirror image of the Unionist whose hates the Irish language. United in your illiberalism and the contempt for the rights of individuals, in pursuance of your respective attempts of cultural imposition.
The above named councils I named in this state so must be funny places! :|

New Threads

Most Replies