All star hurer Donal Óg Cusack "Im gay"

mmrebel

2 time all star hurler with 3 all Ireland medals Donal Óg Cusack as not so much as come out of the closet but jump of the top of it.
Its the lead story in this mornings "Irish mail on Sunday" he is promoting his autobiography.
There have been rumours abounding for years and apparently the Cork dressing room has been well aware of it for a long time.

Is he the 1st senior sports star to come out like this and do people think seeing as he is still heavily involved in GAA ,will this affect is future in the sport seeing as he is still playing and a manger at cloyne his local club ?

Last edited:

Supermanpolitician

Fair play.

I might try to hide my inherent dislike of Cork hurlers, but I am just over compensating. :)

As long as he's happy, that's the important thing.

Is he the 1st senior sports star to come out like this and do people think seeing as he is still heavily involved in GAA ,will this affect is future in the sport seeing as he is still playing and a manger at cloyne his local club ?

I should certainly hope not... Is that really likely? Do people in rural GAA circles really get worked up about that sort of thing? I know there's an astonishing amount of rampant homophobia on these forums, but had always attributed it to mindless trollery...

Supermanpolitician

I should certainly hope not... Is that really likely? Do people in rural GAA circles really get worked up about that sort of thing? I know there's an astonishing amount of rampant homophobia on these forums, but had always attributed it to mindless trollery...
Rural Ireland isn't any different from urban Ireland.

And the GAA isn't nearly as backward as some folks would have you think.

Ecoguy

Funny that - i always thought that if there was Gay GAA players, Donal might be one of them!!

Sync

Still a brave move on his part though. It's not GAA specific, most sportsmen don't come out of the closet due to fears of being picked on and focused on by the media.

mryoungdan

It is important for him to be happy but why are so many people on this site intrigued about a gay hurler.

unicorn

Fair play.

I might try to hide my inherent dislike of Cork hurlers, but I am just over compensating. :)

As long as he's happy, that's the important thing.
Not really. Strange things can make people happy - some of them illegal - so whether he's happy or not is irrelevant.

The personal hatred that he and the 'hurler from Fiji' displayed against former Cork manager Gerald McCarthy says more about his character than what he gets up to in bed.

Supermanpolitician

Still a brave move on his part though. It's not GAA specific, most sportsmen don't come out of the closet due to fears of being picked on and focused on by the media.

Fair point but some rugby player came out a few years ago and I'd say most people have forgotten his name. I know I have.
There will always be a few idiots, but most folks have a live and let live attitude.

Supermanpolitician

Not really. Strange things can make people happy - some of them illegal - so whether he's happy or not is irrelevant.

The personal hatred that he and the 'hurler from Fiji' displayed against former Cork manager Gerald McCarthy says more about his character than what he gets up to in bed.
It's not illegal to be gay. It doesn't infringe my rights in anyway and what consenting adults do in their own time is their own business. Are you saying homsexuality should be illegal?

On the Gerald McCarthy business, that is a completely separate issue. I would strongly disagree with the stance taken by Donal Og and Sean Og, but I would argue that points on its merits. Donal Og's sexuality has nothing to do with that, nor has Sean Og's ethnicity.

unicorn

It's not illegal to be gay. It doesn't infringe my rights in anyway and what consenting adults do in their own time is their own business. Are you saying homsexuality should be illegal?

On the Gerald McCarthy business, that is a completely separate issue. I would strongly disagree with the stance taken by Donal Og and Sean Og, but I would argue that points on its merits. Donal Og's sexuality has nothing to do with that, nor has Sean Og's ethnicity.
Please, please, PLEASE do not twist my words!

I said: "Strange things can make people happy - some of them illegal". How can you deduct from that that I said that it's illegal to be gay?!!

I meant things such as dealing in drugs, robbing, driving over the speed-limit and hundreds of other activities that can make people 'happy'" - so doing something because it adds to a persons happiness is totally irrelevant.

Last edited:

Lao-Tse

Fusilier

2 all star hurler with 3 all Ireland medals Donal Óg Cusack as not so much as come out of the closet but jump of the top of it.
Its the lead story in this mornings "Irish mail on Sunday" he is promoting his autobiography.
There have been rumours abounding for years and apparently the Cork dressing room has been well aware of it for a long time.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge, certainly seemed to be down here. I really doubt if it'll come as a major shock to the Cloyne players.

Fusilier

I meant things such as dealing in drugs, robbing, driving over the speed-limit and hundreds of other activities that can make people 'happy'" - so doing something because it adds to a persons happiness is totally irrelevant.

Dealing in drugs of stealing would generally mean harming other people in some way. Being a homosexual does not.

Supermanpolitician

Please, please, PLEASE do not twist my words!

I said: "Strange things can make people happy - some of them illegal". How can you deduct from that that I said that it's illegal to be gay?!!

What has that got to do with the price orf turnips?

He came out as being gay. I said "Fair Play, as long as he's happy" . I didn't say "Fair Play, I hope he drinks and drives, takes illegal drugs, commits crime, robs folks etc" Is there any suggestion that Donal Og Cusack has done anything illegal? No. In that case as long as he's happy, fair play.

In this context, as long as he's happy, then what harm?

I strongly disagree with Donal Og Cusack about the Gerald McCarthy dispute, but that is for another day completely and would gladly argue that, and indeed have argued that with some who supported the players.

But as regards D O C coming out, then that's his own business.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies