• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

All the "stupid" people who voted for poll topper Ronán Mullen

Clanrickard

How can

A very worth while piece which shows the arrogance of the liberal/left. Social media was outraged that Ronán Mullen topped the poll in the NUI panel for the Seanad. All those sophisticated students cannot understand why Mullen topped the poll. The writer highlights that this is indicative of new intolerance on the left. The stand out piece was.......

one of Mullen’s detractors chimed in to say he probably wouldn’t be able to have a pint with anyone who voted for the senator.
Coupled with the opprobrium heaped on Jack Chambers which the author references I think we are in danger of importing a US style culture war mentality with all the bitterness that entails.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

Clanrickard

I'll just leave these here...

Irish senator Rónán Mullen embroiled in abortion spate after -- victims claim he was "smirking", "nasty", at meeting - IrishCentral.com

Fresh Claims Against Senator Ronan Mullen | Broadsheet.ie

Worth mentioning that the last time he faced the broad electorate - as opposed to the Senate electorate - he failed miserably, securing just 5.6% of the vote despite a high profile campaign.
So he lost an election. I was referring to the arrogance of people being condescending to people who do vote for him.

ShoutingIsLeadership

How can

A very worth while piece which shows the arrogance of the liberal/left. Social media was outraged that Ronán Mullen topped the poll in the NUI panel for the Seanad. All those sophisticated students cannot understand why Mullen topped the poll. The writer highlights that this is indicative of new intolerance on the left. The stand out piece was.......

Coupled with the opprobrium heaped on Jack Chambers which the author references I think we are in danger of importing a US style culture war mentality with all the bitterness that entails.

Eh, are you unaware of the scummy tactics adopted by the likes of Youth Defence, for the past decades?

Clanrickard

Eh, are you unaware of the scummy tactics adopted by the likes of Youth Defence, for the past decades?
A tiny fringe group who are ridiculed by everyone. Anyone like Chambers or Mullen who dares to stand up to the prevailing consensus are ridiculed.

wombat

Worth mentioning that the last time he faced the broad electorate - as opposed to the Senate electorate - he failed miserably, securing just 5.6% of the vote despite a high profile campaign.
Same can be said about most senators

wombat

I gave him a preference, obviously not needed.:lol:

PBP voter

How can

The NUI electorate tends to be an older conservative lot.

Most young people aren't registered and those who have bothered are lazy about voting.

ShoutingIsLeadership

A tiny fringe group who are ridiculed by everyone. Anyone like Chambers or Mullen who dares to stand up to the prevailing consensus are ridiculed.

Yet, "liberals" are to be demonised and collectively characterised by a few comments by randomers in the echo chamber that is the internet?

Right so.

Dubstudent

Mullen offers a difference in opinion on certain issues (some controversial etc). This is vital in a democracy.

Many of us who've been through university don't require a continuous one sided narrative to validate our political opinions.

Bea C

My point was in reference to the OP's fear that US style culture war tactics might be imported
Fair enough.
But Ronan and Jack Chambers aren't to be equated to some loony leaving explosives outside a clinic.

stopdoingstuff

I was happy to see that. Abortion is the taking of innocent human life and people who have had abortions need to realize how big a mistake they have made. He is right to highlight this issue as it involves the murder of thousands of Irish children every year, mostly for reasons of convenience. We should be ashamed of creating a climate where women think that hacking their child to death is a good option.

runwiththewind

I was happy to see that. Abortion is the taking of innocent human life and people who have had abortions need to realize how big a mistake they have made. He is right to highlight this issue as it involves the murder of thousands of Irish children every year, mostly for reasons of convenience. We should be ashamed of creating a climate where women think that hacking their child to death is a good option.
What women do is not any man' s business.

keyholekate

Some people may not like the self-satisfied herd and regard Mullen as a maverick who stands out from the cud-chewing cattle. The author of this piece in the sniffy Irish Times is John Power, living in Australia. He was teetering on the edge of condescension, himself, in his dismissal of rural Ireland as though it is incapable of producing sophisticated thinking. The yearning to be metropolitanised is not universal in Ireland

Bea C

Is this thread not about Mullen himself and the existence of a voter that he represents, as opposed to the specifics of why he adheres to a stance himself.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies