All UK Driving Licenses to be invalid in Ireland on Brexit day

gleeful

Quite a number of people on Irish roads have UK issued driving licenses. Either because they learned to drive in the UK, are immigrants from our next door island, or they are from Northern Ireland. The law which gives these licenses validity is EU law, and unless there is a specific agreement on this point, all UK licenses holders lose the legal right to drive in Ireland on 30 March 2019.

Nonsense - you might say. Aren't Americans allowed to drive here? Well, yes. Because of the United Nations convention on road traffic. The UK is not a member of it.

They are now in a mad rush to join. But whether they will manage to join and implement all the red tape required by Brexit day is uncertain.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/08/no-deal-brexit-would-trigger-wave-of-red-tape-for-uk-drivers-and-hauliers

Anyone with a UK license here has the next 12 months to get it converted to an Irish license. Might be a good idea.

Spirit Of Newgrange

so people who learned and passed the test in the UK are not kosher. But those from Poland are still fully legal and compliant ? you certainly do not live in my part of town. wow.

wrong side of the road ? wrong side of the Brexit/EU debate.

irexit now please.

Last edited:

SPN

A) speculation

B) Why isn't this in the main Brexit thread?

c) Brexit probably won't happen.

statsman

Quite a number of people on Irish roads have UK issued driving licenses. Either because they learned to drive in the UK, are immigrants from our next door island, or they are from Northern Ireland. The law which gives these licenses validity is EU law, and unless there is a specific agreement on this point, all UK licenses holders lose the legal right to drive in Ireland on 30 March 2019.

Nonsense - you might say. Aren't Americans allowed to drive here? Well, yes. Because of the United Nations convention on road traffic. The UK is not a member of it.

They are now in a mad rush to join. But whether they will manage to join and implement all the red tape required by Brexit day is uncertain.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/08/no-deal-brexit-would-trigger-wave-of-red-tape-for-uk-drivers-and-hauliers

Anyone with a UK license here has the next 12 months to get it converted to an Irish license. Might be a good idea.
For those from the North who are working in the Republic and driving on a UK license, if they convert to an Irish one, will they then have the same problem in reverse if they pop up home?

hollandia

A) speculation

A) Not speculation - legal fact
B) It is in the main Brexit forum
c) Possibly.

Tribal

A) speculation

I reckon it's worth a thread of its own for updates.

I wouldn't rule anything out until the UK has actually signed up to something.

between the bridges

Bring it on...

The_SR

so people who learned and passed the test in the UK are not kosher. But those from Poland are still fully legal and compliant ? wow.

irexit now please.
So because the brits didnt think it through we should join them? This is another example of tbe stupidity of brexit.

firefly123

Fuçk me they have made a mess of things haven't they. It's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for them. It's like watching the office. I squirm and laugh in equal measure.
The UK is actually David Brent

D

Deleted member 48908

For those from the North who are working in the Republic and driving on a UK license, if they convert to an Irish one, will they then have the same problem in reverse if they pop up home?
¿Porque no los dos?

gleeful

Tough one - yes. Maybe. Who knows.

Aindriu

What about all those on the north who commute southwards for work? They all have UK driving licences and cannot get Irish ones as they don't live here.

Aindriu

They cannot convert as they are not domiciled in the RoI.

Tribal

What about all those on the north who commute southwards for work? They all have UK driving licences and cannot get Irish ones as they don't live here.
Plus even if NI did stay in the single market then what happens to NI licenses in Britain?

between the bridges

Of course if theres no agreement it will mean a lot less mexicants on nordie roads...

GDPR

I thought things like driving licences would be covered by the Irish-British agreement which predates the EEC/EU membership.

Am I right? Am I wrong?

between the bridges

Donegal will be a cut off remote wastleland, oh wait...

between the bridges

I thought things like driving licences would be covered by the Irish-British agreement which predates the EEC/EU membership.

Am I right? Am I wrong?
Sssssssh Gracie tis brexit were all doomed, doomed moi tells ye...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies