• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Alledgedly AIB computers across country have crashed

robut

https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1/status/763673136000856064

Breaking : Computers have crashed at all AIB branches across the country. ‪#‎Tv3News‬. ( From Paul Byrne twitter TV3 @PaulByrne_1 )

Breaking : Computers at all branches of @AskAIB still in crashed mode. #Tv3News.
Technical issues in AIB branches and online | BreakingNews.ie

AIB branches across the country are experiencing technical issues.

Customers have also reported being unable to log in to AIB services online or on their phones.
If I remember right - was it news a while back that AIB IT system was creeking because it was too old, lacking from investment?

Could this be a DOS ( Denial of Service ) attack? Or worse still RANSOMWARE encrypting all the data? The latter is rife at the moment. Spending many days recently retreiving client computers from Ransomware attack and rebuild from backups.

( Mods - not sure where this should be? Bank news Economy? Or current affairs? Will let you decide. Apologies if in wrong place .. )

T

Toowoomba

Unable to login now, was fine earlier this morning.

There was a smilar problem with AIB login a couple of weeks ago.

Aindriu

That is going to be extremely nasty for their IT service delivery manager. I am so glad I don't work for AIB IT.

That is going to be extremely nasty for their IT service delivery manager. I am so glad I don't work for AIB IT.
Not necessarily. Many of these issues are as a result of layered products.

robut

Well .. as I said in OP I hope its a technical glitch inhouse.

Because if its RANSOMWARE attack its a whole new ballgame for AIB IT .. all it takes is someone in the inner sanctum to open a word file script doc .DOCM from an email. Though we would hope internally encryption wouldnt get to far beyond the immediate machine.

As an aside:

Banks Are Stockpiling Bitcoin To Pay Ransomware Demands – The Merkle

Banks have been struggling with innovation and newer technologies for quite some time now. Not just in their own financial departments, but also regarding security. The recent Bangladesh bank heist is just one example of how technology is being used in the financial sector without worrying about security all that much.

To make matters even worse, banks do not seem overly concerned with ransomware attacks as this stage. To be more precise, financial institutions are buying Bitcoin just in case such an attack would happen. Not putting up a fight may restore file access quicker, but it also creates very dangerous precedents.
Many articles on this, just picked this off tweet machine ( search Ransomware Banks )

FYI - BITCOIN is the preferred Ransomware payment method

Aindriu

Not necessarily. Many of these issues are as a result of layered products.
S/he ultimately carries the can though. it is S/he the directors will be screaming at to get it fixed after all.

hammer

Have they tried unplugging everything and plugging in again:)?
I will be in Croke Park again Sunday if you are looking for me.

Then again when MAYO are playing Tipperary and THE DUBS playing Kerry.

And then again for the final.

Is that OK :)

Analyzer

The little bank of Suds involved in yet another self created disaster.

This is the latest in a long sagas if chaos.

I wonder will they write down peoples mortgaged "INM" style or "SiteSerf" style.

robut

Another article on BANKS stockpiling Bitcoin in case they have to pay up after Ransomware attack ..

An addmission that their security systems are open to such an attack?

Interview with Malwarebytes CEO Marcin Kleczynski about ransomware - Business Insider

A cybersecurity CEO says the problem of ransomware is now so bad that banks are buying cryptocurrency so that they're ready to pay off criminals if their files are held to ransom.
Cryptocurrency equals BITCOIN - the preferred method of ransom payment

ergo2

The Ulster Bank had very serious trouble some years ago

As i recall there were a hotch-pot of old and new systems, back to COBOL days.

Best of luck to AIB people on this

robut

Internet banking down for 5 minutes and its a crisis on p.ie and for the Dick Analyser.
Is it still down??

More than 5 minutes by now

If Biz Banking down for a period of course it will have effect .. longer down the worse that is. Lots of biz now rely on Online Banking to make payments and move cash around. Solicitors use it big time

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies