• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Alleged (but actually innocent) 'taxi fare dodger' beats the internet; judge criticises posters' "vacant, idle and meddlesome heads"

ShoutingIsLeadership

Alleged (but actually innocent) 'taxi fare dodger' beats the internet; judge criticises posters' "vacant, idle and meddlesome heads"

Dublin student wrongly accused of evading a taxi fare wins case | BreakingNews.ie

Eoin McKeogh, has taken on the internet in the High Court, and won.

Wrongly accused of being a taxi fare dodger (and I seem to remember him taking some abuse on this site), McKeogh's reputation has been vindicated in the High Court.

From IrishTimes.com

The student sought a mandatory injunction requiring the internet companies to permanently remove the video and other material.

Today, Mr Justice Peart ordered that experts for the student meet with experts for the internet companies on how to go about taking down the material permanently on a worldwide basis.

The experts should be nominated within 14 days and the meeting between them take place within the following fortnight. When reports have been prepared an exchanged, the matter can come back before the court to “consider the position which emerges”, the judge said.

Does this ring any bells?

There followed, the judge said, “a miscellany of the most vile, crude, obscene and generally obnoxious comments” about the man on YouTube and Facebook.

The clip went viral and “all manner of nasty and seemingly idle minds got to work and as seems to happen with apparent impunity nowadays on social media sites”, posted whatever vile and abusive first thing that came into the “vacant, idle and meddlesome heads,” the judge said.
Court orders removal of Dublin taxi YouTube clip - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, May 16, 2013

D

Deleted member 17573

Delighted to see this. There are far too many people posting on the Internet - and a few around these parts - who equate freedom of speech with a right to libel, vilify and generally utter careless and groundless accusations against people without a single shred of evidence to back up any of their statements. And they are the biggest threat to freedom of expression on the net.
But life is going to be a lot more difficult for site owners.

rant_and_rave

The jurisdiction of the Irish High Court does not extend outside the boundaries of the Irish state so I really don't see how Justice Michael Peart can ensure compliance with the orders he handed down.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Good for him.

I hope and trust that the young fellow at the FF Ard Fheis whose faced trial by the internet for what was, at most, an ill judged comment (if said at all) takes note and follows up.

Clanrickard

The jurisdiction of the Irish High Court does not extend outside the boundaries of the Irish state so I really don't see how Justice Michael Peart can ensure compliance with the orders he handed down.
He can't. But youtube should have taken it down if they knew he was innocent.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Delighted to see this. There are far too many people posting on the Internet - and a few around these parts - who equate freedom of speech with a right to libel, vilify and generally utter careless and groundless accusations against people without a single shred of evidence to back up any of their statements. And they are the biggest threat to freedom of expression on the net.
But life is going to be a lot more difficult for site owners.
I agree entirely. The hinternet is a grand forum for open discussion and mucking about, but after the 'crowd sourced' "Has bag, is Brown!" witchhunts in the wake of the Boston Bombings, the limits of what the internet can produce in respect to real world opinion is painfully apparent. We have reached the point where the word 'internet' infront of words like opinion, poll or journalism, simply serve to discredit them.

Mind you, some still don't get it. After the afore mentioned Boston Bombing witchhunts, some internet guru lu-la was on BBC telling us all how crowd sourcing will be an important part of police investigations in the future. God forbid. Our law enforcement has better things to do than wade through the bile that loons, racists, bullys and spooky loners who live on the internet barf up.

D

Dylan2010

He can't. But youtube should have taken it down if they knew he was innocent.
there was nothing wrong with the video though, just the some clown attributed the wrong person to it. The same thing could happen if the gardai put out a video and it went viral.

LamportsEdge

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Emerald Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Irish judiciary, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the regulatory heroic, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old guard. Good man yerself, Willy.”

NewGoldDream

Website
-
What's all this?
A FaceBook campaign, picked up by some SF posters here, some young fellow going into the FF Ard Fheis allegedly made some comment, next thing his identity was being put all over FaceBook and even on posts here. The usual trial by internet thing that seems to work fine for those who then whine about proper trials.

ShoutingIsLeadership

A FaceBook campaign, picked up by some SF posters here, some young fellow going into the FF Ard Fheis allegedly made some comment, next thing his identity was being put all over FaceBook and even on posts here. The usual trial by internet thing that seems to work fine for those who then whine about proper trials.
What was the comment?

Gracchus

Did he say something silly like "It was Lehman Brothers' fault"?
He said something along the lines of "Here if you want some money take some" and threw a coin at the crowd, that is what people who were protesting outside RDS claimed anyway. I thought they identified the person wrongly though.

ShoutingIsLeadership

He said something along the lines of "Here if you want some money take some" and threw a coin at the crowd, that is what people who were protesting outside RDS claimed anyway. I thought they identified the person wrongly though.
Oh dear. Thanks

LamportsEdge

I'm afraid I lack sympathy for anyone going into a FF Ard Fheis. If it was the wrong chap then I'd be inclined to offer him only one small comfort- 'we all partied'.

Sense 0f Wonder

It's not as simple as Internet bad/other media good. I work in both and was part of a group in 2004 (following the south east Asian tsunami) that pushed citizen journalism into the mainstream for the first time.

After our work on the SEA-EAT blog (publishing people's live updates from the scene, coordinating aspects of the international relief effort, etc.) mainstream media started to see the value of having non-media voices, eyes, and devices on the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_journalism

In 2004, when the 9.1-magnitude underwater earthquake caused a huge tsunami in Banda Aceh Indonesia and across the Indian ocean, a weblog-based virtual network of previously unrelated bloggers emerged that covered the news in real-time, and became a vital source for the traditional media for the first week after the tsunami.[37] A large amount of news footage from many people who experienced the tsunami was widely broadcast,[38](subscription required) as well as a good deal of "on the scene" citizen reporting and blogger analysis that was subsequently picked up by the major media outlets worldwide.[37] Subsequent to the citizen journalism coverage of the disaster and aftermath, researchers have suggested that citizen journalists may, in fact, play a critical role in the disaster warning system itself, potentially with higher reliability than the networks of tsunami warning equipment based on technology alone which then require interpretation by disinterested third parties
The connectivity of the Internet enabled a lot of good work to be done.. it still does (think Kickstarter, and crowd-sourced charity projects).

MSM was full of stories about citizen journalism at that time. Now all that is taken for granted... the BBC, for example, ask for reader comments on major stories as a matter of course. Many MSM journalists get their story ideas and information via Twitter.

So, it's far from black and white.

All that said, Internet mobs are just ridiculous sometimes. Remember the "big dongle" joke at some conference that led to two people being sacked? The Daily Dot - How a "big dongle" joke brought out the worst of the Internet

Sheesh.

What I find interesting though is that many Internet users consider themselves to be advocates of free speech and yet --by going nuts at every opportunity and heaping shame on individuals-- they end getting people sacked and closing down free expression. All that high-tech stuff ends up being used to promulgate the most tribal nonsense.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe

It's not as simple as Internet bad/other media good. I work in both and was part of a group in 2004 (following the south east Asian tsunami) that pushed citizen journalism into the mainstream for the first time.

After our work on the SEA-EAT blog (publishing people's live updates from the scene, coordinating aspects of the international relief effort, etc.) mainstream media started to see the value of having non-media voices, eyes, and devices on the ground.

Citizen journalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The connectivity of the Internet enabled a lot of good work to be done.. it still does (think Kickstarter, and crowd-sourced charity projects).

MSM was full of stories about citizen journalism at that time. Now all that is taken for granted... the BBC, for example, ask for reader comments on major stories as a matter of course. Many MSM journalists get their story ideas and information via Twitter.

So, it's far from black and white.

All that said, Internet mobs are just ridiculous sometimes. Remember the "big dongle" joke at some conference that led to two people being sacked? The Daily Dot - How a "big dongle" joke brought out the worst of the Internet

Sheesh.

What I find interesting though is that many Internet users consider themselves to be advocates of free speech and yet --by going nuts at every opportunity and heaping shame on individuals-- they end getting people sacked and closing down free expression. All that high-tech stuff ends up being used to promulgate the most tribal nonsense.
Wow. Thanks for the "Big Dongle" link. I'd never heard that.

Amazing story. I can't believe his company fired him over a joke. Lame, chicken sh1t company scared stiff to be seen as anything other thasn squeaky clean PC.

Popular Threads

Most Replies