• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Alliance launch a counter attack over the flag issue.

J

Johnny Boy

At the party conference, party leader, David Ford accused the DUP/UUP of stirring up antagonism against Alliance, and suggested that it suited the DUP and Sinn Fein better to have people bickering over identity issues rather than trying to sort out educational shortcomings in loyalist areas and high levels of poverty in nationalist districts.
He does have a point.
In the past few weeks we have been assured by several unionist posters that Alliance are finished, and that they will lose support among moderate unionists because of their vote on the flag issue, which of course begs the question: how can anyone who insists on having a 365 day flag policy imposed on the 48.8% of the population who voted nationalist or Alliance in the last election, possibly be described as moderate?
The inability to respect parity of esteem is surely the hallmark of bigotry?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0302/breaking1.html

between the bridges

At the party conference, party leader, David Ford accused the DUP/UUP of stirring up antagonism against Alliance, and suggested that it suited the DUP and Sinn Fein better to have people bickering over identity issues rather than trying to sort out educational shortcomings in loyalist areas and high levels of poverty in nationalist districts.
He does have a point.
In the past few weeks we have been assured by several unionist posters that Alliance are finished, and that they will lose support among moderate unionists because of their vote on the flag issue, which of course begs the question: how can anyone who insists on having a 365 day flag policy imposed on the 48.8% of the population who voted nationalist or Alliance in the last election, possibly be described as moderate?
If you cannot respect parity of esteem, then surely that is the hallmark of bigotry?

Unionist parties 'drove flag protests' - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 02, 2013
48.8% of the population who voted nationalist
big turn out that day...

J

Johnny Boy

Smart-arse...................
48.8% of the voting population, then.

eskrimador

Watched the flegs discussion on the Parliament channel today and without fear of contradiction I can safely say that the Developer's Unionist Party are the most base creatures in the isles.

The point that you are making Johnny's was handsomely made by Dolores Kelly at that very debate somedays ago. Nationalists have known for decades what they were and now the Alliance Party have only been awoken to it.i followed the Alliance debate on the Twitter machine and all I could think of was the SDLP, SF, GAA, taxi copanies etc. that had deathe threats in acted upon them and the typical self indulgence of Alliance.

between the bridges

Smart-arse...................
48.8% of the voting population, then.
Anyway, so basically you are saying you can not be a moderate if you support the flying of your national flag... do you go to many GAA matches old bean...

J

Johnny Boy

Anyway, so basically you are saying you can not be a moderate if you support the flying of your national flag... do you go to many GAA matches old bean...
It's probably been 15 years since I last went to a GAA match. I'm more of a soccer fan, tbh. Apart from RoI games, I go occasionally to the Emirates to see the Arsenal. But the glory days for both teams are in the past so there is less incentive. Haven't been to Arsenal since January 2012. I used to go 3/4 times a year.

sowhat

I think you could call yourself truly moderate if you are prepared to see the tricolour and the union jack flying side by side now and in the future in either a northern Ireland in the UK or a United Ireland respecting both communities wishes.

between the bridges

I think you could call yourself truly moderate if you are prepared to see the tricolour and the union jack flying side by side now and in the future in either a northern Ireland in the UK or a United Ireland respecting both communities wishes.
And i think being moderate is accepting designated days for the national flag throughout NI...respecting both communities wishes, especially the 75% who do not see themselves as "Irish"...

Swords Hoopster

And i think being moderate is accepting designated days for the national flag throughout NI.
Here we go again. Where are the Tricolours flying from the Nationalist Councils?

Its like going around a roundabout on here sometimes.

between the bridges

Here we go again. Where are the Tricolours flying from the Nationalist Councils?

What is it with you CNR, fecking obsessed by flegs...

sowhat

A North Korean is not still a Korean?
Is an East German, not German? ...no he`s a soviet communist and proud to be in between the bridges books.
The UK will follow the path of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union and Between the Bridges is on the front line in Fermanagh:(

vinoboy

It's probably been 15 years since I last went to a GAA match. I'm more of a soccer fan, tbh. Apart from RoI games, I go occasionally to the Emirates to see the Arsenal. But the glory days for both teams are in the past so there is less incentive. Haven't been to Arsenal since January 2012. I used to go 3/4 times a year.
Typical fair weather fan then .As a West Ham fan you take the few highs with the many lows. Stick with a team through thick and thin ,then you are a fan.

sowhat

Well they would be if it were legal now but laws will change when the current minority becomes the majority in the 6 counties.

Last edited:

Swords Hoopster

The UK will follow the path of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union (
I hope not. The splitting up of Countries invariably leads to strife.

The Scots won't burst it up. They're on the take too much.

between the bridges

Is an East German, not German? ...no he`s a soviet communist and proud to be in between the bridges books.
The UK will follow the path of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union and Between the Bridges is on the front line in Fermanagh:(
Nothing new in that old chap, but we are ever ready...

J

Johnny Boy

Ask Dennis Rodman...
Well lets put it another way...................
Only a minority of people in NI now describe themselves as British................47.9% apparently. In other words 52.1% of people don't see themselves as British. How could any reasonable person argue that the least British part of the UK by far should be unique in insisting on flying the British flag 365 days a year?
It seems that unionists can never take a hint..............................................