• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Alternative to reduction in carer's grants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus Cynicus

During a search on the net, I read that Topaz (alone) sold over 1 billion litres of petrol and diesel in the Irish market in 2008. Now rather than strip €36 million off carers, wouldn't it be a bit better to put maybe 3 cents extra tax on a litre of fuel? I write this as both a car owner and a former carer. Sorry if this has been suggested/discussed before, missed it in the searches

making waves

Easy one this - do something that both FG and LP promised to do - scrap the Seanad.

Radix

They put 100 cents on a bottle of wine, that is a fuel for a lot of us.

Listen, I've said it before, governors or administrators who use their position to undermine the wellbeing of vulnerable groups and individuals in society act corruptly even if they don't know it.

We really need a new political era in this country, one which will see principled governance. A big cull is required, and a good start would be the cleansing of Gilmore; he's gettin horrid grubby round the gills...

Samell

Cut down on TDs expenses.

I read that caring Phil Hogans little trip to Doha allowed him to claim €100 a day for food and drink. 5hit €100 has to feed families for a week! He is no doubt in a hotel on full-board so why does he have to buy food anyway, as to drinks you want some? you buy some! We can't afford to be dropping our hands into our pockets and calling a shout for everyone in the house, we're broke and everyone knows it.

If during our presidency of the EU next year we write a memo to all delegates attending to bring their Security, Computers, Printer cartridges and toilet rolls, oh and be sure to pack a few extra jumpers as the heating will be off, they may get the message too.

Maximus Cynicus

All in favour of cutting expenses, etc but carers need immediate rollback. A 3 cent hike on fuel not going to hit senior politicians pocket so more likely to succeed than immediate discharge of cronies in the seanad

GDPR

Higher fuel costs means it costs more to travel to work or place of business and to ship goods etc. It's already a burden on those who have to watch every cent. It's a definite burden on the single mother who can only go to work or college if she has a banger as she can drop the child to school etc on the way whereas relying on public transport instead makes it an impossible task. It also means it costs a hell of a lot more to visit Aunty Mary etc in that hospital on the other side of the country, the same hospital which will charge you 10 euro a day for parking. What we need to fight for is less of a burden on the people and more of a burden on the parasites in government. Fuel is already deeply into unfair tax territory. If only we could tax the politicians unfairly (its already unfair for us) and let them see how it feels when someone making false promises turns out to be a totally unaccountable liar after you give them the keys to your gaff.

Maximus Cynicus

Your point is a given; fuel IS indeed deeply into unfair tax territory. As is the cut to carers unfair. But the mandarins in Europe don't give a sh1t. And neither does the Kenny/Gilmore Puppet Company. I would be willing to pay a little bit extra (3c over €1.60, approx 2%) for a tiny bit more compassion in the country

And So I Said

Easy one this - do something that both FG and LP promised to do - scrap the Seanad.
Fine Gael's Shane Mc Entee in today's Sunday Times...

'I agree Carers have to get away for a break,but ....people just have to get on with it-it's not going to change.'

And So I Said

Sen. Sean Barrett walked past the protest in Kildare street with his head down. No other TD or politician ignored the protest. In fact Ming and Finian McGrath stayed for over an hour.

The Owl

Fine Gael's Shane Mc Entee in today's Sunday Times...

'I agree Carers have to get away for a break,but ....people just have to get on with it-it's not going to change.'
There is a hell. It's being a Carer in Ireland with a FG and Labour government in power.

GDPR

Your point is a given; fuel IS indeed deeply into unfair tax territory. As is the cut to carers unfair. But the mandarins in Europe don't give a sh1t. And neither does the Kenny/Gilmore Puppet Company. I would be willing to pay a little bit extra (3c over €1.60, approx 2%) for a tiny bit more compassion in the country
Where do you buy petrol ? It can be the straw that broke the camels back for someone with no money who is already struggling.
Fuel is already more expensive in Dublin than outside in my experience. I found a petrol station outside Dublin selling at 1.58 when all around the city and city centre ranged from 1.62 to 1.68.
We needed a public reaction similar to the one which forced the Egyptian President (Mursi?) to recently flee his Palace. Instead of making a stand and saying ''Enough'' ; the pathetic response from the Irish public (if this idea is anything to go by) is ''let's collectively drop our trousers lads and sell our stretched bottoms again to pay Phil Hogans hotel expenses so he wont take it off the carers''

Maximus Cynicus

It's only one suggestion. Public reactions like that in Egypt and Greece (lower interest rate and extension of loan term) have made an impact. It would be "new" to see some form of serious protest or civil disobedience here (other than the pensioners). However, it ain't gonna happen (with emphasis on the word "serious") amongst the Irish. Best of luck leading that particular charge

As I said, the Eurocrats don't give a continental. They want dosh of which this €36 million is part. Gimme another IMMEDIATE €36 million saving spread across the community?

gerhard dengler

According to 2008 figures, 25 million texts are sent every day in Ireland.

Annualised this is approximately 920,000,000 texts per year.

Apply a 50 cent tax for each text sent and you raise approximately €45 million.

GDPR

It's only one suggestion. Public reactions like that in Egypt and Greece (lower interest rate and extension of loan term) have made an impact. It would be "new" to see some form of serious protest or civil disobedience here (other than the pensioners). However, it ain't gonna happen (with emphasis on the word "serious") amongst the Irish. Best of luck leading that particular charge

As I said, the Eurocrats don't give a continental. They want dosh of which this €36 million is part. Gimme another IMMEDIATE €36 million saving spread across the community?
subject to a lot of debate and sticking rigidly to a low tax regime for FDI exporting companies .. perhaps a higher corporation tax rate for certain sectors which do not manufacture or export such as Tesco for example and which have bled the country dry for years and continue to overcharge relative to elsewhere. This would not harm small stores which might run under a business name instead of as a corporation. Tesco wont release their profit figures for the Republic but they are rumored to be the highest of any of their locations. They don't manufacture anything. They only ''innovate'' self service terminals so they are already trying to cut their employment down to the bone anyway. I believe companies like Tesco can absorb a lot more tax than they are currently doing. And these companies are 100% replaceable unlike Google etc. The revenue from food etc is predictable and reliable. Tax these old technology cash rich companies. I am wondering if the one size fits all sectors approach to corporation tax is a good thing for Ireland. The banks got away with 10% etc for years and look at them now. They are another one that should be taxed highly as soon as they are on their feet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.