• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Alternative Ulster

Billy the Prod

This thread is dedicated to the greatest punk rock band to have ever come out of Northern Ireland. I had the privilege of seeing them play two years on the trot in the early 80's at the Ulster Hall, Belfast. They always did a Christmas gig, and the atmosphere was always electric. Unlike the Undertones (Teenage kicks - John Peel's favourite), Stiff Little Fingers dared to sing about the conflict in Northern Ireland, with songs like "Wasted Life", "Suspect Device" and of course their classic "Alternative Ulster".

Their debut album "Inflammable Material" is a punk classic, and Jake Burns really sang his heart out. Whilst the troubles were raging in the early 80's I was one of the spiky haired punk rockers who used to congregate in Corn Market in Belfast city centre, and as well as the Stiffs, we also used to attend the Labour Club to see local hardcore anarcho-punk bands "Toxic Waste" and "Stalag 17".

Of course by 1984 the Belfast punk movement had greatly declined in numbers since the punk explosion of 1977 (no pun intended), and the music had become a lot faster, harder, and even more political in tone than before, but the central message was always there: the punks had created for themselves an alternative culture, an alternative to the Ulster that was characterised by bloody conflict, and if the people of Northern Ireland wanted an alternative to war, all they had to do was reject the paramilitary groups on both sides and embrace peace.

In 1998 the people of this country officially rejected political violence and embraced the peace they had been yearning for. The punks had got it right. Their rejection of political violence and their alternative thinking communicated a desire for change, and that change has finally taken place. I know that some Republicans will say that what we have is an alternative six counties and not an alternative Ulster. The same people who will walk into a Belfast cafe and order an "occupied six counties fry" as opposed to an "Ulster fry". Feckin eejits.

To the Stiffs! Get some volume on it!

"I could be a soldier
Go out there and fight to save this land
Be a people's soldier
Paramilitary gun in hand
I won't be a soldier
I won't take no orders from no-one
Stuff their f*cking armies
Killing isn't my idea of fun

(Chorus)
They wanna waste my life
They wanna waste my time
They wanna waste my life
And they've stolen it away

I could be a hero
Live and die for their 'important' cause
A united nation
Or an independent state with laws
And rules and regulations
That merely cause disturbances and wars
That is what I've got now
All thanks to the freedom-seeking hordes

(Chorus)

I'm not gonna be taken in
They said if I don't join I just can't win
I've heard that story many times before
And every time I threw it out the door

Still they come up to me
With a different name but same old face
I can see the connection
With another time and a different place
They ain't blonde-haired or blue-eyed
But they think that they're the master race
They're nothing but blind fascists
Brought up to hate and given lives to waste"

(Chorus: repeat)

[video=youtube;qHkQgps7m70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkQgps7m70[/video]

Last edited:

Billy the Prod

[video=youtube;sKsN5cj9ehs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKsN5cj9ehs[/video]

Billy the Prod

[video=youtube;Oqn8r5WOjTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqn8r5WOjTU[/video]

The Pooka

This thread is dedicated to the greatest punk rock band to have ever come out of Northern Ireland. I had the privilege of seeing them play two years on the trot in the early 80's at the Ulster Hall, Belfast. They always did a Christmas gig, and the atmosphere was always electric. Unlike the Undertones (Teengae kicks - John Peel's favourite), Stiff Little Fingers dared to sing about the conflict in Northern Ireland, with songs like "Wasted Life", "Suspect Device" and of course their classic "Alternative Ulster".

Their debut album "Inflammable Material" is a punk classic, and Jake Burns really sang his heart out. Whilst the troubles were raging in the early 80's I was one of the spiky haired punk rockers who used to congregate in Corn Market in Belfast city centre, and as well as the Stiffs, we also used to attend the Labour Club to see local hardcore anarcho-punk bands "Toxic Waste" and "Stalag 17".

Of course by 1984 the Belfast punk movement had greatly declined in numbers since the punk explosion of 1977 (no pun intended), and the music had become a lot faster, harder, and even more political in tone than before, but the central message was always there: the punks had created for themselves an alternative culture, an alternative to the Ulster that was characterised by bloody conflict, and if the people of Northern Ireland wanted an alternative to war, all they had to do was reject the paramilitary groups on both sides and embrace peace.

In 1998 the people of this country officially rejected political violence and embraced the peace they had been yearning for. The punks had got it right. Their rejection of political violence and alternative thinking communicated a desire for change, and that change has finally taken place. I know that some Republicans will say that what we have is an alternative six counties and not an alternative Ulster. The same people who will walk into a Belfast cafe and order an "occupied six counties fry" as opposed to an "Ulster fry". Feckin eejits.

To the Stiffs! Get some volume on it!

"I could be a soldier
Go out there and fight to save this land
Be a people's soldier
Paramilitary gun in hand
I won't be a soldier
I won't take no orders from no-one
Stuff their f*cking armies
Killing isn't my idea of fun

(Chorus)
They wanna waste my life
They wanna waste my time
They wanna waste my life
And they've stolen it away

I could be a hero
Live and die for their 'important' cause
A united nation
Or an independent state with laws
And rules and regulations
That merely cause disturbances and wars
That is what I've got now
All thanks to the freedom-seeking hordes

(Chorus)

I'm not gonna be taken in
They said if I don't join I just can't win
I've heard that story many times before
And every time I threw it out the door

Still they come up to me
With a different name but same old face
I can see the connection
With another time and a different place
They ain't blonde-haired or blue-eyed
But they think that they're the master race
They're nothing but blind fascists
Brought up to hate and given lives to waste"

(Chorus: repeat)

[video=youtube;qHkQgps7m70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkQgps7m70[/video]

fontenoy

Now I have ya Billy, you can't back out of this one when I visit belfast I drink with one of the Stiffs. Care to meet him and share a jar?

Billy the Prod

SLF werent a patch on the great Ulster rocker - Daniel O Donnell
:lol: Daniel was too hardcore for my tastes.

Now I have ya Billy, you can't back out of this one when I visit belfast I drink with one of the Stiffs. Care to meet him and share a jar?
Really? Jake Burns?

Did you do the punk thing as a teenager too?

DT123

Does he know you are "still friends" with unrepentant murderers?

fontenoy

:lol: Daniel was too hardcore for my tastes.

Really? Jake Burns?

Did you do the punk thing as a teenager too?
Damn right the Stiffs were/are the best punk band ever. See we do have common ground and I'm not telling ya which stiff. You gottta meet up the Monico Lombard Street.

Billy the Prod

Who would ever have thought it? Lemmy, influenced by Cliff Richard!? :lol:

Billy the Prod

Damn right the Stiffs were/are the best punk band ever. See we do have common ground and I'm not telling ya which stiff. You gottta meet up the Monico Lombard Street.
So long as it's not a stiff in the penis sense, or the dead person sense.

eskrimador

A guy in the gym asked me to do the door in the Empire some years ago and when I turned up, it turns out that the boys were doing a gig. I told him I was going to stay in the concert all night and nowhere else.

What a night! Got paid to see SLF and got my hole at the end of the night. I like the tones but SLF were leagues ahead.

eskrimador

My favourite wax always the Anti-Nowhere League.

Linking one of their songs would get me in rouble rouble on here but So What is a good song to check out. I believe St Daniel of Kincasslagh does a great version.

Billy the Prod

A guy in the gym asked me to do the door in the Empire some years ago and when I turned up, it turns out that the boys were doing a gig. I told him I was going to stay in the concert all night and nowhere else.

What a night! Got paid to see SLF and got my hole at the end of the night. I like the tones but SLF were leagues ahead.
So glad to hear you got your hole, lol.
Classic Belfast expression you won't find on too many other forums.

Anybody remember authentic North Belfast punks ,Ruefrex ?????
Yes! Heard of them, but not actually heard them, ..I don't fink ..

fontenoy

So long as it's not a stiff in the penis sense, or the dead person sense.
No I assure you he is very much alive, and can swallow a serious amount of the devils milk. But the hangover is well worth sitting all night listening to great stories of his hedonistic lifestyle. The Monico this Monday actually, you'll not miss me I'll be the only one in the bar drinking pints of blood with a balaclava on.:cool:

caulfield

Anybody remember authentic North Belfast punks ,Ruefrex ?????
Got "Flowers for all occasions". Good album - especially "Paid in Kind"

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies