• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Amazon 30 hour week

johnnypockets

Would you be interesting in reducing your hours from 40 to 30 a week? Not a option for me at present but definitely something I would be interested in the future. I would think its a trend for times to come.

Amazon Tests 30-Hour Work Week

westernyelp

I did this a year ago and would find it very hard to go back. if you can afford it it's a much better balance

former wesleyan

Next up…Amazon test paying a living wage giving civilised contracts.

GabhaDubh

Knew a American of Irish descent who worked there said it was brutal. I see the article says the lower hours will include full benefits. 30 hours is right at the Obamacare threshold, is it planning for the future?

Harmonica

Is this 4 * 7.5 hours or 5 * 6 hours? 6 hours seems like too short a work day.

I don't think many employers (including my own) would ever be innovative enough to try this. We are cutting costs (i.e. people) but this would never be considered an option when want to ship jobs to asia.

Civic_critic2

Is this 4 * 7.5 hours or 5 * 6 hours? 6 hours seems like too short a work day.

I don't think many employers (including my own) would ever be innovative enough to try this. We are cutting costs (i.e. people) but this would never be considered an option when want to ship jobs to asia.
Perhaps you should start planning how to leave your employer while taking his clients with you since he's planning on leaving you while taking all the clients that your productivity got and/or retained for himself.

westernyelp

I wonder will other companies follow suit.
I imagine in the future when more Jobs become automated and production becomes more efficient, that it will be happen. I think studies have shown that more efficiency happens when a shorter week is worked. Lets be honest there are a lot of hours in the week where people are just clock watching til quitting time. if the week or day was shorter you would be more likely to work the hours you were there.

sadcitizen

Well just to clarify, your pay is docked accordingly.

So I suppose now you'll need a degree and masters to get your internship, which will then hopefully lead to a part-time job. I'd imagine that they expect people to output 40 hours worth of work too.

Harmonica

Perhaps you should start planning how to leave your employer while taking his clients with you since he's planning on leaving you while taking all the clients that your productivity got and/or retained for himself.
I'd say I have 6 months at best now, surprised I made the first cut. Not possible to take clients, best I could do is work for customer (I know where the bodies are buried) but not easy when almost all abroad.

EUrJokingMeRight

Having the brains to get a PHD is not so hard.

Having the balls to use them brains in innovative ways so as to escape the rat race is another matter entirely.

Brains without balls is hamsterville.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Knew a American of Irish descent who worked there said it was brutal. I see the article says the lower hours will include full benefits. 30 hours is right at the Obamacare threshold, is it planning for the future?
You might be on to something.

wexfordman

I did this a year ago and would find it very hard to go back. if you can afford it it's a much better balance
With punitive tax rates in this country, it's probably not nearly as expensive as you would think, particularly for those on middle to high incomes.

Anyone earning above 70k should really consider whether the effort of earning above that level is worth it after the state takes its slice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies