Ambulance Call Centre Goes To Coughlan's Constituency Millions Wasted

The state of the art Ambulance Regional Call Centre in Castlebar which was only built in recent years costing millions of Euro is being moved in February to Minister Mary Coughlan's Constituency in Ballyshannon, at another huge cost to the exchequer.

The Centre, which deals with emergency calls in Gaway, Roscommon and Mayo and was only recently relocated and built in the grounds of St. Mary's Hospital, Castlebar, receives and deals with over 100,000 calls per annum, three times that of Ballyshannon. The staff at Castlebar Call Centre were all specially trianed by American experts at a huge cost in order to verse them thoroughly in the AMPDS system, (Advanced Medical Priority Dispatch). This move, to serve no one except one woman, Minister Mary Coughlan, will leave 16 highly trained staff jobless, initially, with more to follow.

This is outrageous, criminal. This woman has used her Ministerial position for her benefit and hers alone. Mayo's 2 FF TDS should be ashamed that they let this "cloak and dagger" deal advance without a word of warning to the people.

See Advertiser.ie - Galway Advertiser, Mayo Advertiser, Athlone Advertiser, Kilkenny Advertiser, Mullingar Advertiser (The Mayo Advertiser)

EUrJokingMeRight

Is it a done deal. Signed off and cast in concrete? Or just hearsay?

stripey cat

Is it a done deal. Signed off and cast in concrete? Or just hearsay?
It seems to be. Here's a better link to the story:
Cloak and dagger political decision to close ambulance call centre in Castlebar - Mayo Advertiser - December 03, 2010.

Sixteen jobs are to be lost in Castlebar early in 2011 with the closure of the multi-million euro ambulance emergency call centre in Castlebar, which will be transferred to a new centre in Ballyshannon.

The news was confirmed to Fine Gael Deputy John O’Mahony last night after he raised the issue during the Adjournment Dáil Session in which Junior Health Minister, Aine Brady, announced the news.

Grumpy Jack

I doubt Sweary Mary will even be a member of the Dail come February, let alone Tanaiste.

And the next Taoiseach will be from Mayo - I doubt this centre will be moving anywhere.

hammer

Well they better get it done before Enda Kenny becomes Taoiseach as it will be reversed.

Is THE COUGH the biggest gombeen in politics ? Does my arse look big in this :)

Dara is from Ballina. He wouldn`t give a toss :)
Jaysus hammer, Ballina is the Tallaght of Mayo. 199,000 of the emergency called received here in Castlebar come from Ballina. He'd care, the slimy little git. Got a bloody leaflet from BEV the other day, with her 18th Birthday photograph on it. It was so thick and shiny, (the leaflet although come to th..) that it took ages and ages to burn. Daddy must own a printing factory as well as the rest of Castlebar.

junius

being moved in February to Minister Mary Coughlan's Constituency in Ballyshannon, at another huge cost to the exchequer.

The Centre, which deals with emergency calls in Gaway, Roscommon and Mayo and was only recently relocated
Can it possibly be that emergency calls for Galway,Mayo and Roscommon will all be transferred to Donegal? Sligo, and Leitrim come between the former counties and Co. Donegal? Are those counties included too in some sort of merger? Or is this what we're going to see - all sorts of nonsensical laws passed before the Government is finally annhilated. If this is the case, the Greens better get out NOW and bring this Government to a shuddering stop.

Mitsui2

Mayo's 2 FF TDS should be ashamed that they let this "cloak and dagger" deal advance without a word of warning to the people.
Laz, you mentioned "shame" and "FF" in the same sentence.

Inda Kenny

Expect more of this sort of stuff.
state boards that have vacancies will be next to be filled with FF buddies

former wesleyan

According to the newspaper report there was a pretty feeble protest from the "opposition " . Presumably they'd rather have this kind of thing hushed up with an eye on all the similar stuff they intend to do when they get into power.

edor

Mary's going to need a job in a call centre early next year; because she sure ain't going to be a politician no more. Maybe that's why she did it.

Really though, good to see her being called on this. History will show that the only jobs she created as a minister were those taken from the best able to perform them!

Northtipp

I object to the tone of this thread. It infers that Mary is up to underhand dealings in respect of this matter. She would never do that.

It would be funny if it didnt involve real peoples livelihood

Laz, you mentioned "shame" and "FF" in the same sentence.
What was I thinking of Missui? How could that have happened?petuniapetunia

I object to the tone of this thread. It infers that Mary is up to underhand dealings in respect of this matter. She would never do that. It would be funny if it didnt involve real peoples livelihood
I'm sorry Northtipp. I'll change the tone. You may now sing it to the tone of "Oh Mary this place is a terrible sight, with the people not working by day or by night. They don't sow potatoes or barley or wheat, but there's gangs of them begging for cheese in the street".

That better dear?

Northtipp

What was I thinking of Missui? How could that have happened?petuniapetunia

I'm sorry Northtipp. I'll change the tone. You may now sing it to the tone of "Oh Mary this place is a terrible sight, with the people not working by day or by night. They don't sow potatoes or barley or wheat, but there's gangs of them begging for cheese in the street".

That better dear?
Yep thats better. I can sing that one on the piss tonight. Although personally I would rather have " we will build our own las vegas in the hills of Donegal." More appropriate for Mary I would think

ICallely

According to the newspaper report there was a pretty feeble protest from the "opposition " . Presumably they'd rather have this kind of thing hushed up with an eye on all the similar stuff they intend to do when they get into power.
I suppose the only difference between FF and FG, is FG have some integrity.

The question is whether this is inherent, or just a consequence of not having their hands on the levers of power for long enough.

Feckfiannafail

The Centre, which deals with emergency calls in Gaway, Roscommon and Mayo and was only recently relocated and built in the grounds of St. Mary's Hospital, Castlebar, receives and deals with over 100,000 calls per annum, three times that of Ballyshannon. The staff at Castlebar Call Centre were all specially trianed by American experts at a huge cost in order to verse them thoroughly in the AMPDS system, (Advanced Medical Priority Dispatch). This move, to serve no one except one woman, Minister Mary Coughlan, will leave 16 highly trained staff jobless, initially, with more to follow.

This is outrageous, criminal. This woman has used her Ministerial position for her benefit and hers alone. Mayo's 2 FF TDS should be ashamed that they let this "cloak and dagger" deal advance without a word of warning to the people.
This really is outrageous if its true, I was watching her in the Dail and on one of the committee meetings and couldn't help thinking how out of her depth she was (like most government ministers), seems she can be cute enough when she wants (like all of Fianna Failure).

I know I'm sounding naive here, but dear God, how wicked is this? You build a state of the art Emergency Calling Centre, murder at the time over how much it cost. You train staff by bringing in foreign advisers, and a few years later, on the whim of Minister Mary Coughlan, with the help our Our Leader it's decided to close it down, and build another bloody one in her constituency, and train more staff. This is incredible. How are the bloody IMF and the bloody EU allowing such wastes of precious tax dollars? I thought that at least someone like them would stop this from happening, but no? Dear Jesus, it's like a bloody nightmare.

New Threads

Most Replies