• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

America Awash With Painkillers & Drug Addicts

A

Asi-Irish

We have people making references to Orwell's 1984 on Politics.ie. How about some Brave New World?

Kids are turning up in local emergency rooms comatose, overdosed on a near lethal concoction of prescription medications after attending a "pharm party," or just popping pills at school, or with a small group of friends.

2NEWS.TV | 'Pharm parties' gain popularity in eastern Idaho | Boise, Idaho

Would it be fair to say that the US has descended into mass decadence?

D

Deleted member 17573

We have people making references to Orwell's 1984 on Politics.ie. How about some Brave New World?

Kids are turning up in local emergency rooms comatose, overdosed on a near lethal concoction of prescription medications after attending a "pharm party," or just popping pills at school, or with a small group of friends.

2NEWS.TV | 'Pharm parties' gain popularity in eastern Idaho | Boise, Idaho

Would it be fair to say that the US has descended into mass decadence?
Better a massively decadent america than a fundamentalist america

A

Asi-Irish

I agree about the weed, and I love a drink, but don't you think that this type of abuse of powerful painkillers is very different?

Check out this article:
Heroin is the most evil and threatening drug on this planet. It’s low cost fuels death to America’s youth and it fuels the Taliban’s efforts to destroy freedom in Afganistan.

Heroin in the Heartland - Watching the Watchers

D

Deleted member 17573

I agree about the weed, and I love a drink, but don't you think that this type of abuse of powerful painkillers is very different?

Check out this article:
Heroin is the most evil and threatening drug on this planet. It’s low cost fuels death to America’s youth and it fuels the Taliban’s efforts to destroy freedom in Afganistan.

Heroin in the Heartland - Watching the Watchers
Of course I do - but it doesn´t scare me half as much as those fundamentalist fukcers. Actually I spent time in America - NYC - in the late-60´s / early 70´s and compared to what we had in Ireland the place was downright decadent - and I loved it !!!

Jock_the_Waster

they should do what peaches does...

fuck the pain away....

spidermom

Have to say...come up to my A+E any sat night..or even better any Bank Holiday weekend...what about night of the junior cert exams?1st death I dealt with A+E was a 14 yr old girl sniffing glue and drinking....that was 1985!!!!...location is Dublin by the way!!!!!

Mr Crowley

The main prescription drug abused in the US is 'Oxycontin' an opiod, basically synthetic heroin. The pills are prescribed to cancer patients but are crushed up and snorted by users. Pharmacies are regularly held up by addicts, due to the purity and potency of the pills they are more expensive than heroin. I've seen what the drug does to people and it isn't pretty.

seanmacc

The main prescription drug abused in the US is 'Oxycontin' an opiod, basically synthetic heroin. The pills are prescribed to cancer patients but are crushed up and snorted by users. Pharmacies are regularly held up by addicts, due to the purity and potency of the pills they are more expensive than heroin. I've seen what the drug does to people and it isn't pretty.
Unfortunately they perscibe Oxycontin to everybody for any little thing. They run advertisements by drug companies all day and night for all the various drug companies with the one common theme "tell your doctor about drug x". In order to sustain your business a doctor will generally prescribe you most things so as to keep your business. A doctors consult is in excess of 200usd usually charged to your insurance company. No wonder they're all junkies.

niall78

America's prescription drug holocaust - at least 200,000 dead since 1999

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2017/11/what-oxycontin-drug-behind-america-s-opioid-crisis
Check out Louis Theroux's new documentary Dark States - Heroin Town.

Absolutely mental stuff. Nearly every heroin addict on the show became addicted through prescription pain killers after a medical issue. The place is simply awash with such drugs. With zero help to ween yourself off them when the doctor finally says you'll have no more.

Friends who have lived state side tell me the TV is wall to wall adverts featuring these drugs as well. Many promoted as a cure-all to pain with no talk of their incredibly addictive nature.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Check out Louis Theroux's new documentary Dark States - Heroin Town.

Absolutely mental stuff. Nearly every heroin addict on the show became addicted through prescription pain killers after a medical issue. The place is simply awash with such drugs. With zero help to ween yourself off them when the doctor finally says you'll have no more.

Friends who have lived state side tell me the TV is wall to wall adverts featuring these drugs as well. Many promoted as a cure-all to pain with no talk of their incredibly addictive nature.
This one is in heavy rotation....

[video=youtube;0-flXl8CkY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-flXl8CkY0[/video]

Think about that.

firefly123

One of the chief causes was that emergency departments were subjected to satisfaction surveys where punters were asked their opinion. If they asked for opiates to take away all pain and were refused they would give a poor Sergey result. The hospital CEO would then come down hard on the doctors and insist on the issue of pain relief.
Everybody went out with a box of oxys and then get addicted. A few years ago the prescription addiction grew large enough go cause a political reaction which resulted in a tightening of prescriptions and so the opiate of choice became heroin or dodgy prescription meds.

Law of unintended consequences

Morgellons

This one is in heavy rotation....

[video=youtube;0-flXl8CkY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-flXl8CkY0[/video]

Think about that.
Absolutely nuts! They're advertising a drug to deal with the side effects of synthetic heroin, and no-one bats an eyelid.

How fooked up is that place?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
One of the chief causes was that emergency departments were subjected to satisfaction surveys where punters were asked their opinion. If they asked for opiates to take away all pain and were refused they would give a poor Sergey result. The hospital CEO would then come down hard on the doctors and insist on the issue of pain relief.
Everybody went out with a box of oxys and then get addicted. A few years ago the prescription addiction grew large enough go cause a political reaction which resulted in a tightening of prescriptions and so the opiate of choice became heroin or dodgy prescription meds.

Law of unintended consequences
Not exactly chief causes. The following article dials it in a little tighter.

https://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/who-is-responsible-for-the-pain-pill-epidemic

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Absolutely nuts! They're advertising a drug to deal with the side effects of synthetic heroin, and no-one bats an eyelid.

How fooked up is that place?
We are all too busy doctor shopping. ;)

NYCKY

Nobody seems to mention this stuff in the context of the mass shootings. I don't think there is one of the major mass shooters that wasn't loaded up on uppers/downers/painkillers/anti depressants/insert prescription. It seems to be a common thread.

firefly123

Not exactly chief causes. The following article dials it in a little tighter.

https://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/who-is-responsible-for-the-pain-pill-epidemic
While not the only cause it was/is fundamental.
From the article you linked too...
The Joint Commission, which accredits health facilities, issued pain-management standards in 2001 that instructed hospitals to measure pain—you may be familiar with the smiling-to-crying faces scale—and to prioritize its treatment. Elizabeth Zhani, a spokeswoman for the Joint Commission, told me that their standards “were based upon both the emerging and compelling science of that time, and upon the consensus of a broad array of professionals.” Yet Purdue, according to a report issued by the U. S. Government Accountability Office, helped fund a “pain-management educational program” organized by the Joint Commission; a related agreement allowed Purdue to disseminate educational materials on pain management, and this, in the words of the report, “may have facilitated its access to hospitals to promote OxyContin.”
In a policy drafted by several people with ties to narcotics makers, including Haddox, the Federation of State Medical Boards called on the boards to punish doctors for inadequately treating pain, according to the Wall Street Journal.
I know a number of US hospital doctors and tgey all have similar stories of customer satisfaction being more important than adequate treatment.
Its the transference of business practice onto and over medicine rather than selectively choosing improvements

It took a while for authorities to notice what was going on, but once they did, there was a backlash.
And now they go 'elsewhere' for their relief

Many people believe deeply in the power of modern medicine to cure illness, and bristle at the notion that pain is a fact of life. The promise of a set of medicines that could cure pain was appealing to many patients—and, with a customer-is-always-right mentality having pervaded the doctor’s office, patients were able to pressure physicians to satisfy their requests for the pain pills they’d begun hearing about.
Unfortunately the customer is always right attitude is garbage in medicine but to say that would get you fired

he might give you a bad rating on a doctor-grading Web site.
The American version of rate my teacher that would leave a doctor unemployed if he doesn't pony up the goods

Last edited: