• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

American baby cured of HIV

American scientists have reported that they have managed to cure a baby born of HIV by treaing it with high doses of commonly available HIV medication from within two days of birth. The findings point the way to a possible means of treating and curing HIV in infants.

More testing needs to be done to see if the treatment would have the same effect on other children.
But the results could possibly lead to a cure for children with HIV.
If the child stays healthy it would be only the world's second reported cure.
Dr Deborah Persaud, a virologist at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, presented the findings at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Atlanta.
"This is a proof of concept that HIV can be potentially curable in infants," she said.
BBC News - US HIV baby 'cured' by early drug treatment

Radix

Happy days, great to see progress.

Mr. Bumble

It's funny, I just read that headline on the RTE site and it made me smile.

forest

I put this in another thread but it desvers one of its own
This will be the second person cured of HIV and is amazing progress

First day of CROI and already ground breaking news hopefully the next few days will be filled with good news story as we try to end aids

Deep Blue

This is great news, with huge implications for Africa especially.

Let's hope the treatment will become available for all who need it.

You read so often about how things like a simple Malaria jab costing a few dollars, is out of reach for some in developing countries...

General Urko

HIV experts have found in very very rare cases a person can rid themselves of the illness! Also rather famously there was a group of women 'working professionally' on the streets of Ghana, if I remember correctly, without condoms where no case of HIV was recorded!
Viruses are fascinating!

Spanner Island

You gotta be kidding...?

The prospect of all those pharma companies losing all that income will probably mean any cure will be extortionately and prohibitively expensive for a long time yet...

You read so often about how things like a simple Malaria jab costing a few dollars, is out of reach for some in developing countries...
Yep... and it's mainly to do with pharma companies wanting lots of income and a return on investment...

If they don't make loads of money they won't invest in research...

It's a bit of a Catch 22 really...

forest

It is based on early treatment and stopping the virus getting a footing in the body
It is similar to case in France were several people who tested positive got on treatment right away (within weeks) and now are doing well without drugs
Why the baby is declared cured and not these men I dont know

French research gives scientists hope of 'functional cure' for HIV | World news | guardian.co.uk

General Urko

Any illness that has 10s of millions of sufferers is bound to spring a few surprises!
It's probably the most studied disease ever!
It always surpises me though that Hep B (and get yourselves vaccinated as I have done) gets so little attention relatively and is possibly even more dangerous today!
One thing that drives me insane is the lack of access to drugs to help contain HIV in particular in developing nations, The USA has been prominent in this obscenity to protect its pharma industry (we have some big ones acting the maggot here too) Vs generics have been blackmailing many developing nations with eg trade boycotts if they don't play ball!
Also HPV which almost every human that has had sex with another has come into contact with is sliding up the scale re its apparent dangers, it is now implicated in oral cancers!
A drug resistance form of gonnorrea is becoming established also!
And as they say the difference between herpes and true love is that herpes lasts forever!
:p

forest

HIV experts have found in very very rare cases a person can rid themselves of the illness! Also rather famously there was a group of women 'working professionally' on the streets of Ghana, if I remember correctly, without condoms where no case of HIV was recorded!
Viruses are fascinating!
They cant rid themselves of the virus
They can control the virus without drugs
But they are still + and more importantly can spread the disease

They are called elite controllers I think its about 1 or 2%

The Owl

Viruses are fascinating!
I'm reading about the advance of "The Yellow Plague" into Ireland from GB during the early 7th century and General Urko, a physician who was a monk called Brother Tóla and worked in the infirmary the Abbey of Ros Ailithir, said exactly what you said above. When discussing why some got the Plague and died from it, some never got it no matter how close they were to it, and some recovered after being infected, Brother Tóla said "the workings of this plague are fascinating".

Great news. I nearly said Thank God. I forget I'm an atheist sometimes.

Druidess

Viruses are fascinating!
I think these were sex workers in Lagos. Strangely, once they stopped work in this particular area the virus was able to infect them. Very interesting and unique to West Africa. I must look it up.

Druidess

Any illness that has 10s of millions of sufferers is bound to spring a few surprises!
It's probably the most studied disease ever!
It always surpises me though that Hep B (and get yourselves vaccinated as I have done) gets so little attention relatively and is possibly even more dangerous today!
One thing that drives me insane is the lack of access to drugs to help contain HIV in particular in developing nations, The USA has been prominent in this obscenity to protect its pharma industry (we have some big ones acting the maggot here too) Vs generics have been blackmailing many developing nations with eg trade boycotts if they don't play ball!
Also HPV which almost every human that has had sex with another has come into contact with is sliding up the scale re its apparent dangers, it is now implicated in oral cancers!
A drug resistance form of gonnorrea is becoming established also!
And as they say the difference between herpes and true love is that herpes lasts forever!
:p
I believe that in most AFrican countries, ARV meds are highly available and accessible, that applies to Nigeria also. The supply network can be affected in certain remote areas at times though. The meds themselves are most definitely free but often medical personnel may charge for them.

There are many African countries where the provision of these drugs is 100% seamlesss in availability, Ghana is one and Uganda is another.

forest

only 20% of people who need them get ARVS

Hooch

This isn't actually a new treatment strategy, just a more aggressive form of an old one.

If someone knows they've been exposed to HIV and receive medical attention within 72 hours they're are given what is called Post-Exposure Propylaxis. Essentially they are given anti-retroviral medication to prevent the virus from gaining a foothold in the bloodstream, it's been proven as effective but not 100% of the time.

Also, how awful is the mother in this story?!

Child born with HIV cured by US doctors | Society | The Guardian

Several days later, blood drawn from the baby before treatment started showed the child was infected, probably shortly before birth. The doctors continued with the drugs and expected the child to take them for life.

However, within a month of starting therapy, the level of HIV in the baby's blood had fallen so low that routine lab tests failed to detect it.

The mother and baby continued regular clinic visits to the clinic for the next year, but then began to miss appointments, and eventually stopped attending all together. The child had no medication from the age of 18 months, and did not see doctors again until it was nearly two years old.

"We did not see this child at all for a period of about five months," Gay told the Guardian. "When they did return to care aged 23 months, I fully expected that the baby would have a high viral load."
Finally, a sample size of 1 does not constitute a scientific breakthrough, if this case is reproducible then great but otherwise take this story with a large pinch of salt.

General Urko

I believe that in most AFrican countries, ARV meds are highly available and accessible, that applies to Nigeria also. The supply network can be affected in certain remote areas at times though. The meds themselves are most definitely free but often medical personnel may charge for them.

There are many African countries where the provision of these drugs is 100% seamlesss in availability, Ghana is one and Uganda is another.
I sincerely hope that's the case, a recent documentary (maybe showing currently in the IFI) suggests that there are still massive issues and clearly points the finger at those I have mentioned for the reason stated! I cannot remember the name of the film, but the director was interviewed by Matt Cooper last week!
Future generations will judge us on our attitudes towards developing nations and their judgement will not be kind!:oops:

DJP

Indeed. Ten years ago they cost a fortune but are now cheap.

ONE are doing great working in the fight against AIDS.

ONE petition: Tell World Leaders to step up the fight against AIDS | ONE

And of course RED which is part of ONE, I think:

(RED) | FIGHTING FOR AN AIDS FREE GENERATION

cathalbrugha

Viruses are fascinating!
Like the Placebo Effect? I think there's an element of truth in that.. The Cancer Counselling & Research Centre in Forth Worth, Texas, had an average rate of cures 3-4 times above the average rate of other cancer clinics.. They boiled it down to the patients themselves believing that they could be cured.. The Mind is a Great Healer - Hippocrates..

Hooch

I sincerely hope that's the case, a recent documentary (maybe showing currently in the IFI) suggests that there are still massive issues and clearly points the finger at those I have mentioned for the reason stated! I cannot remember the name of the film, but the director was interviewed by Matt Cooper last week!
Future generations will judge us on our attitudes towards developing nations and their judgement will not be kind!:oops:
Was it "How to Survive a Plague"?