• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

American drone breaks endurance record by flying 48 hours without refueling

Warrior of Destiny

A drone developed by the U.S navy has broken previous endurance records by flying 48 hours without refueling. The 'Ion Tiger' uses a new type of cryogenic tank to store liquid hydrogen fuel to achieve this breakthrough. The drone also uses electric engines rather than combustion engines. The Naval Research Laboratory says their approach has additional logistic benefits, since liquid hydrogen can be produced from water on site rather than having to transport solid fuels in bulk.

US Navy?s liquid hydrogen drone flies for record 48 hours ? RT USA

What are the implications of this for civilian transport? More importantly how does this affect the continued expansion of drone warfare?

Personally I doubt that this technology will be used for civilian transport for a good few years due to production of hydrogen fuel on a mass scale is still under research however breakthroughs have been recently made in this area too as Virginia Tech have found a way to extract large quantities from any plant.

Breakthrough in hydrogen fuel production could revolutionize alternative energy market

Militarily it's a massive breakthrough for recon drones and no doubt they're already looking at how to transfer this technology to larger weaponized drones such as the Predator. Not being particularly knowledgeable on the matter of drones and their applications I'm more than open to correction and education though!

Nemesiscorporation

A drone developed by the U.S navy has broken previous endurance records by flying 48 hours without refueling. The 'Ion Tiger' uses a new type of cryogenic tank to store liquid hydrogen fuel to achieve this breakthrough. The drone also uses electric engines rather than combustion engines. The Naval Research Laboratory says their approach has additional logistic benefits, since liquid hydrogen can be produced from water on site rather than having to transport solid fuels in bulk.

US Navy?s liquid hydrogen drone flies for record 48 hours ? RT USA

What are the implications of this for civilian transport? More importantly how does this affect the continued expansion of drone warfare?

Personally I doubt that this technology will be used for civilian transport for a good few years due to production of hydrogen fuel on a mass scale is still under research however breakthroughs have been recently made in this area too as Virginia Tech have found a way to extract large quantities from any plant.

Breakthrough in hydrogen fuel production could revolutionize alternative energy market

Militarily it's a massive breakthrough for recon drones and no doubt they're already looking at how to transfer this technology to larger weaponized drones such as the Predator. Not being particularly knowledgeable on the matter of drones and their applications I'm more than open to correction and education though!
Aerodynamically that drone is a piece of crap.

If they put it in a Nurflugel (flying wing), then there should be a corresponding increase in performance.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Drones certainly appear to be the future of defense and intelligence operations.
One of my friends is ex-USN, and continues to work on a consultancy basis at
The Naval Surface Warfare Center. He has told me that their mission used to be almost exclusively about mines, but that in more recent years, unmanned submarines and aerial vehicles have become a top priority.

The thing that scares them about the drones is that they can be programmed to do just about anything autonomously. They are cheap; an F-18 costs $60m, a Typhoon costs twice that. A drone capable of carrying a dirty bomb costs much less. They worry about a mass produced swarm of thousands of the things attacking a carrier group.

I thought that he was exaggerating the capabilities of the things, until he sent me this video of how they can be programmed to do just about anything, without further input required from their controller.

[video=youtube;pp89tTDxXuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp89tTDxXuI[/video]

We are headed into a new era of warfare with these things.

Mountaintop

Yet again The Simpsons have called it....

The Commandant of the military academy: "The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots. "

greenwithirony

Drones certainly appear to be the future of defense and intelligence operations.
One of my friends is ex-USN, and continues to work on a consultancy basis at
The Naval Surface Warfare Center. He has told me that their mission used to be almost exclusively about mines, but that in more recent years, unmanned submarines and aerial vehicles have become a top priority.

The thing that scares them about the drones is that they can be programmed to do just about anything autonomously. They are cheap; an F-18 costs $60m, a Typhoon costs twice that. A drone capable of carrying a dirty bomb costs much less. They worry about a mass produced swarm of thousands of the things attacking a carrier group.

I thought that he was exaggerating the capabilities of the things, until he sent me this video of how they can be programmed to do just about anything, without further input required from their controller.

[video=youtube;pp89tTDxXuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp89tTDxXuI[/video]

We are headed into a new era of warfare with these things.
Scary shlt, & it's not just warfare:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/us-politics/193940-h-r-658-apparently-spy-drones-now-being-used-spy-us-itself.html

greenwithirony

Pretty much the most disgusting article I've read this, & possibly any, year:

The race to create 'insect cyborgs' | Science | The Observer

Perhaps, Darpa officials realised, the military didn't need to start from scratch; if they began with live insects, they'd already be halfway to their dream flying machines. All they'd have to do was figure out how to hack into insects' bodies and control their movements.
Insect drones kitted out with video cameras could reveal whether a building is occupied and whether those inside are civilians or enemy combatants, while those with microphones could record sensitive conversations, becoming bugs that literally bugged you.
As soon as Maharbiz presented his work, the news stories came fast and furious, Wired pronounced: "The creation of a cyborg insect army has just taken a step closer to reality" and the Daily Mail panicked: "Spies may soon be bugging conversations using actual insects, thanks to research funded by the US military". A columnist speculated about the possibility of a swarm of locust drones being used as vehicles for launching deadly germs.
They began by opening up a rat's skull and implanting steel wires in its brain. The wires ran from the brain out through a large hole in the skull, and into a backpack harnessed to the rodent. ("Backpack" seems to be a favourite euphemism among the cyborg-animal crowd.) This rat pack, as it were, contained a suite of electronics, including a microprocessor and a receiver capable of picking up distant signals. Chapin or one of his colleagues could sit 500m away from the rat and use a laptop to transmit a message to the receiver, which relayed the signal to the microprocessor, which sent an electric charge down the wires and into the rat's brain.

During training, the SUNY scientists used an unconventional system of reinforcement. When the rat turned in the correct direction, the researchers used a third wire to send an electrical pulse into what's known as the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), a region of the brain involved in processing pleasure. Studies in humans and other animals have shown that direct activation of the MFB just plain feels good. (When the scientists gave the rats the chance to stimulate their own MFBs by pressing down on a lever, the animals did so furiously – hitting the lever as many as 200 times in 20 minutes.) So sending a jolt of electricity zinging down to a rat's MFB acted as a virtual reward for good behaviour.
The Matrix just moved an awful lot closer.

Ribeye

I can't wait to tell the Pakistani children about this delightful news,

This thread makes me sick;

slippy wicket

Well if it stops any more american WASP's being killed then it has to be a good thing right. :roll:

greenwithirony

How do you know you are not already living in a matrix?
True enough. A matrix within a matrix within a matrix ad infinitum, who knows?
I should add though, following on from my sequence above, that consequently it doesn't matter, & that all you can ever deal with is the reality you perceive, whatever that may be, & to manage & deal with it accordingly, until you can't/you die/your perception changes/you know &/or become the mind of God or the infinite uni/multiverse etc etc!

LamportsEdge

All they have to do to produce a drone that refuses to land at all is to enhance its ability for intelligence.

Any drone with an intelligence approaching sentient level would be a damn fool to consort with humans at all and would be far better off swooping happily among the cloud mountains and chasing the dawn around the world admiring the views.

The day a machine tells a human to 'pack it in you whinging little scrote' I'll know that we have finally produced a true automaton.

Nebuchadnezzar

Its on the cards
Maybe as a power source for electrical systems but not as propulsive power. What's the power to weight ratio of a hydrogen fuel cell? I cannot see them ever achieving anything close to that of a gas turbine engine. Fuel cells are great for small low performance aircraft but not for mass transit high speed aircraft.

Nebuchadnezzar

......and even more so when you compare the energy per unit volume of liquid hydogen versus hydocarbons.

Ren84

How many villages in the Swat Valley were flattened during this endurance record breaking feat?

Nebuchadnezzar

How many villages in the Swat Valley were flattened during this endurance record breaking feat?
How many inane comments have you posted today? Excuse me, yesterday?