American Religious Right visit

Dame_Enda

Concerns have been expressed about a planned talk at two Irish schools by a Religious Right theologian, Jason Evert, on 15th January at several venues both education and in churches. The group, the Chastity Project, says contraception is bad for womens health and makes them feel they have to be "more sexually available". The Chastity Project website quotes the Church catechism that says homosexuality is "objectively disordered".

Blackrock college says the talk there has been cancelled, but Rockbrook Park school in Dublin 16 has not replied to the journals request for information at the time of the journal articles publication. A talk in Our Lady of Peace Church, Dublin 4, is expected to go ahead on January. The event is listed as "sold out" on the Eventbrite website.

Should the talks go ahead, or is its message harmful to women and LGBT people? I understand a talk at the Tower Hotel, Waterford, has had to relocate to a Church, as the talk at the hotel was cancelled for an unspecified reason.

Dame_Enda

What are people afraid of hearing?
Have we a new set of taboos?
I'm concerned that a group whose website promotes the idea that gays are "objectively disordered" are getting an opportunity to propagate that view, which may encourage discrimination against this group.

I'm concerned that men and women's reproductive rights could be undermined by a group that opposes contraception.

And I'm annoyed that yet again, the Church is using its control of the school system to try to turn back the clock.

Half Nelson

I'm concerned that a group whose website promotes the idea that gays are "objectively disordered" are getting an opportunity to propagate that view, which may encourage discrimination against this group.

I'm concerned that men and women's reproductive rights could be undermined by a group that opposes contraception.

And I'm annoyed that yet again, the Church is using its control of the school system to try to turn back the clock.
That's your view and you want to impose it on others.
How about giving people information and allowing them make up their own minds?

Are you really afraid that they might not agree with you?

Dame_Enda

That's your view and you want to impose it on others.
How about giving people information and allowing them make up their own minds?

Are you really afraid that they might not agree with you?
The Church is great at giving some information and concealing other information, as the post independence history of our State shows.

This kind of so called 'information' lead to the Magdalene launderies and criminalization of 5% of Irish peoples sexual orientation for many generations.

Half Nelson

The Church is great at giving some information and concealing other information, as the post independence history of our State shows.

This kind of so called 'information' lead to the Magdalene launderies and criminalization of 5% of Irish peoples sexual orientation for many generations.
Pfft! The Magdalene Laundries never went away. They just morphed into today's technologically advanced solution to unwanted children, showing that it was never about the Church.

People have a right to information. I thought we had cleared that much up.

Rural

Free speech, innit.

Let them talk all they want, as long as they talk to adults who can make up their own minds.

Me? I wouldn't be bothered, contraception is a great thing. As is free speech 'n' all.

dunno

A talk in Our Lady of Peace Church,
Church was referring to the building is always lowercase, except at the start of a sentence. Church, uppercase, is the body of baptised believers, that is, Christians.

No, it should not be banned.

The Journal.ie headline is histrionic.

Jason Evert wrote a book called Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves (2014) . JP2 prayed with pagans in Assisi basilica, actively frustrated the Cardinal Ratzinger's efforts to discipline Marcial Maciel (who quite possibly had been suspended, late 1940s, in his home diocese in Mexico by his uncle and local bishop after he sexually assaulted some boys who joined his new organisation, the Legionaries of Christ), kissed the Koran, and the less said about who supposedly canonised him, the better. And some of his ideas seem like poor pseudo science, or pseudo something or other.

petaljam

Let them give their talks in churches and hotels and so on, but not schools. They shouldn't be allowed spread their propaganda to children, certainly not in taxpayer-funded premises anyway.

Oh and if people want to protest outside the places where they are giving their talks, I'm sure those arguing for anti choicers' right to protest outside hospitals in the name of free speech will be equally in favour of allowing protests outside churches and parish halls hosting these guys. Won't they?

Splodge

Finally, you’re starting to see what these far right scum are about.

MsDaisyC

Church was referring to the building is always lowercase, except at the start of a sentence. Church, uppercase, is the body of baptised believers, that is, Christians.

No, it should not be banned.

The Journal.ie headline is histrionic.

Jason Evert wrote a book called Saint John Paul the Great: His Five Loves (2014) . JP2 prayed with pagans in Assisi basilica, actively frustrated the Cardinal Ratzinger's efforts to discipline Marcial Maciel (who quite possibly had been suspended, late 1940s, in his home diocese in Mexico by his uncle and local bishop after he sexually assaulted some boys who joined his new organisation, the Legionaries of Christ), kissed the Koran, and the less said about who supposedly canonised him, the better. And some of his ideas seem like poor pseudo science, or pseudo something or other.
mwbjscloypw6p2g7jpynl3j29p2g7jpynl3j5.jpg
JPII's 5 loves?
1. Paedos
2. Money
3. Paedo protectors
4. Money protectors
5. Yonk people of Ireland.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

If someone is a gay or lesbian pupil in a school, and this crowd comes and repeats these views, it could lead to the pupil being bullied.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
These people are extremists. Would the same schools allow a militant Islamic radical come to have a nice chat with the kiddies?

BACKTOBASICS

These people are extremists. Would the same schools allow a militant Islamic radical come to have a nice chat with the kiddies?
Islamists marry kiddies - a bit more than having a chat with them.
The Dept. of Education are attempting to introduce gender and sexual behaviour studies to primary schools.
This is a counter-balance to all of this from a Christian perspective.

MsDaisyC

The Dept. of Education are attempting to introduce gender and sexual behaviour studies to primary schools.
Priests just rape them.

Splodge

He thinks he’s a Christian. Hilarious.

Watcher2

Concerns have been expressed about a planned talk at two Irish schools by a Religious Right theologian, Jason Evert, on 15th January at several venues both education and in churches. The group, the Chastity Project, says contraception is bad for womens health and makes them feel they have to be "more sexually available". The Chastity Project website quotes the Church catechism that says homosexuality is "objectively disordered".

Blackrock college says the talk there has been cancelled, but Rockbrook Park school in Dublin 16 has not replied to the journals request for information at the time of the journal articles publication. A talk in Our Lady of Peace Church, Dublin 4, is expected to go ahead on January. The event is listed as "sold out" on the Eventbrite website.

Should the talks go ahead, or is its message harmful to women and LGBT people? I understand a talk at the Tower Hotel, Waterford, has had to relocate to a Church, as the talk at the hotel was cancelled for an unspecified reason.

Should freedom of speech be curtailed?

MsDaisyC

Should freedom of speech be curtailed?
Should freedom to opt out be curtailed? Are schoolchildren being forced into hearing this drivel by having it in their school?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom