• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

American Residency

Jesus Wept

How the hell did Drumm manage to get a Green Card at a time when about quarter of a million of our unemployed young people would give their eye teeth for same?

seanmacc

I'm married to a U.S citizen and my green Card took 10 months and over $3000 in processing fees and medical costs to get. Its not easy that way.

If you are an investor you can apply for residency if you are investing $1million ($250,000 in certain circumstances). And it is resonably quick to come through (approximatley 3 months once the background checks clear)

martino

You need to remember all these things can be arranged if you konw the right people. I had a friend whose father was doing business with big American companies, he was some Tax Consultant or something. Anyway, all six kids got green cards on their 18th birthday-just like that. This was at a time when you could only win them in some kind of 'lottery'.

ManOfReason

According to this unquestioning fluss piece, written when he became CEO of Anglo, he spend about six years in Boston for Anglo in the 90's. Probably acquired some sort of permanent status then.

Jesus Wept

According to this unquestioning fluss piece, written when he became CEO of Anglo, he spend about six years in Boston for Anglo in the 90's. Probably acquired some sort of permanent status then.
That would make sense because in my experience US emigration are particularly strict: I don't think Drumm would have been granted residency had it been known that he is suspected of playing a major role in the 35 billion euro collapse of a bank and that the Irish police were keen to interview him.

What he may have succeeded in doing is buying himself permanent exile. However, like Ronnie Biggs in Brazil, I suspect that some day he'll get a hankering to come home - and then he'll have to face the music.

owedtojoy

How the hell did Drumm manage to get a Green Card at a time when about quarter of a million of our unemployed young people would give their eye teeth for same?
I would wager the American Chamber of Commerce had soemthing to do with it.

myksav

That would qualify him for a Green Card, which is valid for life of the holder. Not sure if it can be revoked by US Gov't.

quackquack

If he was on a gc, he should have lost it after being non resident for 2 years - the max length of time a reentry permit is allowed.
Also, he would have had to file taxes in the US for the duration of having permenant residency, or face consequences.

pujols

A green card can be revoked if there was fraud in the course of obtaining it. Otherwise it remains valid unless abandoned.

Sync

Is there an extradition between Ireland and the U.S.
Yes. There are no charges pending against Drumm though.

Does a declaration of Bankruptcy in the U.S guarantee that Anglo will not be able to pursue their loans properly
Pretty much yeah.

Skinner

All the top level scammers have had multiple bolt holes sorted out well in advance most likely.

Maybe he has a birth right?

It could be that a granny could have been born in the US, his mammy or daddy took Citizenship which allowed him to take Citizenship?

What I dont understand is how US Bankruptcy has any legal standing over in Ireland?