• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

amhran na bhfiann Sweden match

Carl Claudius

I missed the match but I heard the guy from Wicklow? singing our national anthem was not up to scratch. Apparently he left out bits and mispronounced words. I wonder is the singing of the anthem linked to out ability to play. I mean the French has a rousing war song while our rubgy team has tries to get us sing some class of diddly di.

Does the anthem matter?

Does how we treat the flag matter? I mean I remember after the last big football match seeing the tricolour in the gutter. People wear it as a skirt and drag it along the ground. People here do not seem to care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DrQHZin0Q

Mr. Bumble

I can ever only remember the last line: "Shoving Connie around a field"

Always brings a tear to the eye.

Carl Claudius

I can ever only remember the last line: "Shoving Connie around a field"

Always brings a tear to the eye.
amusing, but in most countries things like national anthems are sacred. Its about ten lines of a foreign language that we need to learn. I am sure even the shinners here can manage it.I learnt it in primary school but it does not seem to be the case anymore. maybe it should be replaced by the fields of Athenry.

greengoose2

amusing, but in most countries things like national anthems are sacred. Its about ten lines of a foreign language that we need to learn. I am sure even the shinners here can manage it.I learnt it in primary school but it does not seem to be the case anymore. maybe it should be replaced by the fields of Athenry.
Hymns are sacred and sound nice in church. That flag waving, nationalistic stuff is fine for the football field where 60,000 lazy fans watch a collection of sports people doing things that they would love to be able to do but are too lazy to even try.

Carl Claudius

Hymns are sacred and sound nice in church. That flag waving, nationalistic stuff is fine for the football field where 60,000 lazy fans watch a collection of sports people doing things that they would love to be able to do but are too lazy to even try.
nationalistic or patriotic?

There seems to be something miss with the boys in green alright. where is jackie charlton? the eyetalian does not seem to be working any magic.

Analyzer

pane et circensus.

Nothing upsets the green jersey brigade, as much, as when Irish superficiality is not up to the expectations, created by the daftest delusions.

Nothing so explicitly expresses the intellectual bankruptcy of the society, as IMF debt slave losers trying to sing a song about freedom, under the influence of booze from a UK multinational (branded as oirish), in a language which none of them understand.

Last edited:

Sense 0f Wonder

Having huge respect for flags --that is for bits of material dyed in various colours-- is for the symbol minded.

This is a group drawn from all classes and political affiliations.. one that includes, for example, Northern Unionists; scoundrels who wrap themselves up in the flag to deceive people about their patriotic "love of country" (think of Bush The Junior sending young men out to fight in the Middle East to finish what his father started); static conservatives who prize history over progress (Son.. this is the flag that our people fought under in Malaysia/Mexico/Maynooth in the xth Century); country bumpkins who want to feel like a relevant part of the bigger nation (we may live in the ar5e end of nowhere but we are part of a nation that includes Paris/London/New York too); law abiding middle class bores who see in the flag a symbol of that law and order, which they either want to be part of (as a member of the legal profession) or which they hope will protect them from poor people; those whose job it is to care about such things --brainwashed police and military people; and inner city n'er do wells who are extremely unlikely to participate in anything useful or important in their entire lives except the phantom reality of "nation."

In short, it's mostly tossers, wasters, brainwashed gimps, liars and scumbags who care about such things.. pompous ar5es who want to cover themselves in something that is generally regarded by symbol-minded folk as bigger and better than any one of us.. the State.

Besides all that flags are critically important tools for human progress and should be treated with the utmost respect... :D

GDPR

I thought as an idea it worked very well, singing the anthem without music, I'd never heard it before in that sort of setting.

What the Spanish would do I don't know.

wombat

Heard the singer interviewed yesterday, he had rehearsed to make sure he got the words & pronounciation correct.
Apparently, he was at the opposite end to the Irish fans, so everything got out of sync.:lol:

Eoin Coir

maybe it should be sung in its original form (English)?
That was before FF usurped it with their logo. English must better indeed. Irish words only cover up the militaristic nature of it to so many people - only 26,000 here speak Irish now . Bit like old Latin mass, mystery !

[video=youtube;zX16jFO0FBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zX16jFO0FBA[/video]

meriwether

pane et circensus.

Nothing upsets the green jersey brigade, as much, as when Irish superficiality is not up to the expectations, created by the daftest delusions.

Nothing so explicitly expresses the intellectual bankruptcy of the society, as IMF debt slave losers trying to sing a song about freedom, under the influence of booze from a UK multinational (branded as oirish), in a language which none of them understand.
Analyzer said 'bread and circuses' in Latin!

Such an intellectual!

meriwether

I thought as an idea it worked very well, singing the anthem without music, I'd never heard it before in that sort of setting.

What the Spanish would do I don't know.
According to Dunphy, a symbol of the division in the Spanisn squad for many years was the Catalans refusal to sing the anthem.

The wordless anthem, as you alluded to above.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It is a rotten anthem though. A dirge and nonsensical lyrics. No offense to the man that wrote it and maybe should be kept on anyway but Ireland's Call is far better.
Totally agree, I'd adopt "Ireland's Call" as the national anthem, we should never have dropped "God Save Ireland" in favour of "The Soldier's Song".

As for the flag, we need need to treat it with far more respect I remember being in Serbia and Azerbaijan and people got very annoyed if they saw the flag touching the ground and they would certain never abuse it by adding slogans, adverts etc.

Having said that, I'd prefer a flag that reflected the reality of post Belfast Agreement Ireland a bit better and was more distinctive. I think the Presidential flag would make a better national flag.

greengoose2

Totally agree, I'd adopt "Ireland's Call" as the national anthem, we should never have dropped "God Save Ireland" in favour of "The Soldier's Song".

As for the flag, we need need to treat it with far more respect I remember being in Serbia and Azerbaijan and people got very annoyed if they saw the flag touching the ground and they would certain never abuse it by adding slogans, adverts etc.

Having said that, I'd prefer a flag that reflected the reality of post Belfast Agreement Ireland a bit better and was more distinctive. I think the Presidential flag would make a better national flag.

I prefer this:

julieandrews

You've obiovusly never seen the phonetic version of Wales' Land of my Fathers then!

My hen laid a haddock on top of a tree
Glad farts and centurions throw dogs in the sea
I could stew a hare here, and brandish Don's flan.
Don's ruddy bog's blocked up with sand.
Dad! Dad! Why don't you oil Aunty Glad?
When whores appear on beer bottle pies,
Oh butter the hens as they fly.
Dad! Dad! Why don't you oil Aunty Glad?
When whores appear on beer bottle pies,
Oh butter the hens as they fly.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Analyzer

Fr.Ted Crilly

New Threads

Popular Threads